• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Ringside SBPLAT-3 Heavy Duty Speed Bag Platform

I occasionally get questions about the platform I use... it's an SBPLAT 3 Heavy Duty Speed Bag Platform from Ringside. I originally posted this information back in Nov. 2006, but I'm re-posting it here under reviews so it's easier to find. Looking back after all this time, I'd still say this is a great platform.

Very nice. I'll agree that the catalog photo doesn't do it justice. The metal v brace is top notch, nice welds, nice finish - very sturdy. Weighs in at 18 pounds. The drum (actual dimensions 29.5" x 1 7/8" thick) weighs in at a hefty 32 pounds. The catalog claimed it was a 30" x 2" drum, I measured carefully several times... it's definitely 29.5" x 1 7/8". Not that it matters much. As you can see from the bottom most photo, it's complete overkill for the size of bags I prefer.

The board had several dings on it. Can't say I'd be happy if I had shelled out $300, but it's nothing that will impede the functionality. It ended up being about $158 shipped to my door. I think it was a good find.

Here's the PS-3 swivel it came with. A $34.99 value. I'm really, really glad they don't pre-drill the swivel holes. The PS-3 feels solid and smooth and would probably be my next choice AFTER a metal or plastic ball and hook, but it won't be attached to this board... I'm going with one of the metal ball and hooks I alread have.

Close up

As you can see here, it's crazy large for a 4x7 and 9x6 bag. The tape measure is crooked in this picture, but I did measure several times, it's 29.5" diameter, 1 7/8" thick. (At this point you may think I'm a bit obsessed about it, but that comes from being a computer science major and programmer... If it's 29.5" call it 29.5" , not 30"!) The drum is "melamine", which is some sort of coated particle or chip board, I guess.

I wish I could say I'll have it hung up this weekend, but due to a variety of reasons, it will be awhile before I actually get to try this thing out

And here's the ringside banana bag that came with it (size Extra-Small 8x5). I would have preferred one of their Top Contender bags. They are cheaper but better in my opinion (better shape, softer suede type feel to the leather)

Overall, I'd say it's a great bargain.
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...