• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lacrosse
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2006

improving

hey, im new to this forum and i just wanted to know some ways of hitting the bag, right now i just hit the bag on the side of my hand and i can keep it going for a long time, but i was wondering if there are anymore ways to improve my hand eye cordination.

also does the speedbag allow someone to gain muscles or is it just for hand/eye cordination? I can feel some burn in my shoulder but i dont feel any stronger.

and do you guys play any sports?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

hitting the bag

HI Lacrosse

Welcome to the forum. When you say "hit the bag", that can have different meanings depending on the context of how you say it. You describe hitting the bag meaning "hitting the side of your fist", and by that I imagine you mean the little finger side of your fist?? and you keep it going by continually hitting the bag from the SAME SIDE (front of the bag, pushing it away....)

To answer your question, there are several ways that the fist may contact the bag. Likewise, "hitting the bag" may also mean hitting different sides of the speed bag, of which there are generally four bag areas (front, back, left side, right side)

The secet to the speed bag is mostly timing and repetitive punching with equal force in all contacts. Your eye-hand coordination gets better as you move to smaller bags, which are faster, and as you begin hitting from different areas around the bag. It also helps to begin using the multi-part techniques, (double punches and elbow strikes), for they also require added coordination to use and keep the bag going.

Your shoulders will get a great burn from hitting the speed bag, with great tone, definition and "pump". You will also gain a small of strength, but it is NOT a strength specific activity. However, You can target your speed bag workout for "strength" and some "muscular gains" by using larger bags, and manipulating your workout to require strength. Larger bags take more force to move and keep them going. Here is a link to some tips on focusing your workout for specific benefits. Be advised you need a really solild board to do these targeted workouts for strength, for you will smacking a large bag really hard. Only a top notch heavy duty board will take that kind of pounding. A light cheapo 24 inch wafer or compressed wood board will probably not hold up long under that kind of force application.

I don't play many sports lately, but I did play a lot of racquetball in my younger days. Also Tennis and table tennis. I believe the speed bag is great for any "ball" sports, which require you to stick your hand in space at an exact moment and place to: hit, catch or contact a moving ball with the hand, racquet of whatever.

I hope this answers your question. again, Welcome to the forum and train safely.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by lacrosse View Post
      also does the speedbag allow someone to gain muscles or is it just for hand/eye cordination? I can feel some burn in my shoulder but i dont feel any stronger.
      I think it builds endurance in the shoulders, but you probably won't see much increase in strength.

The biggest benefit of the bag for me is simply the challenge of it and the sense of accomplishment when I've done a technique or combination I've never done before...

Comment

• BillyMack
        • Sep 2006

Potential when combined with Weight Training

I use the speed bag to keep my heart rate up in between sets when I lift weights. All too often I do a set and end up letting my heart rate sink back down while sitting on the bench. Now when I do a set I step up to the speedbag and go through a couple routines before doing the next set.

This process produces a deep burn throughout my shoulders and upper arms and also seems to help me put up more reps on the bench, extending my threshold. It also helps burn more calories and allows a more intense workout in a shorter amount of time.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...