• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Eureka moments

Originally posted by Chris M
    Thank you Master, I am not nearly ready to try to grab the pebbles from your hand or walk the rice paper, but I have entered the temple to begin my journey.
    You will now travel much faster on your journey. Many more Eureka moments await, but the more you know, the more you can know. I have stood by the side of a few when one of those moments happen. It is amazing to watch. The look of amazement when suddenly it works and the person realizes they did it - and can do it whenever they want to. Usually they are amazed at how small the movement was and how relaxed they were when it happened.

I have had many of them also. Many of them came while writing the Speed Bag Bible, for I learned a great deal about the bag when writing it. Several Techniques and many of the advanced combinations came to me in rushes of insight or from reproducing a mistake, only to find it wasn't a mistake. It was an angle change in the rebound that made it work. It was a way to break the "rules of rhythm" #1 and 2, creating rule #3.

One of my most memorable was when hitting to music, I realized that there were two possible methods, and the bag rhythms and speed of punching could be adapted to ANY song. At first I always used constant linking and hitting in what I normally call the "syncopated rhythms", and that some songs just didn't have a good beat to punch with. Then I found that by altering punching speed and combinations, I could do what I later called "straight time punching". With these two methods, (straight time and syncopated), I could manipulate the bag rhythm to work with all music, and most of the time you can jump from one to the other within the song. That is was a great moment for me. One of many under the board.

Just a word of warning: There will also be days when you think it has all gone away, and you believe the bag is simply laughing at you. On those days, I find it best to blame the swivel. It's easier than saying "I really suck at this...."
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...