X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • o0obruceleeo0o
    • Sep 2006

9x6 or 8x5

So, I am feeling like I want to go faster than my Century 10x7 will let me go and I am wondering how much of a speed difference there are between the different size speed bags? Would it be okay to "skip" the 9x6 and go straight to an 8x5? Or would an 8x5 most likely be too fast for me, since all I've ever used is my 10x7? Thanks in advance for any advice

edit: I am sure that a lot of what I am asking has to do with what brand/model the speedbags are, but I am just asking *generally*.
    Last edited by o0obruceleeo0o; 10-04-2006, 07:04 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I think it all depends on your skill level. I made the mistake of trying to go from an 8x11 to a 5x8 and it was discouraging. I really thought I was really good, but I quickly found out differently. There is a huge difference between those two bags. I think you'll notice a significant difference just by going to a 9x6, because that was my experience.

What techniques are you doing? I can do almost all (except for the advanced techniques which I'm still learning) of the techniques with relative ease on the 8x11 and the 9x6, but the 8x5 is still too fast for me. Of course, that's probably because I don't really use my 8x5 that much because it's not as enjoyable to me than the larger bags because I can do all the tricks that I enjoy doing. The elbow strikes are still difficult for me on the smaller bags. Besides I can't go nearly as long with a smaller bag.

Tell you what, I'll loan you my Title Classic 5x8 as long as you promise to send it back. PM me your address and I'll send it to you IF you promise on the board to send it back. That bag is REALLY fast. That will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Chris M; 10-04-2006, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

9x6 or 8x5

Chris M. is right. Skill and ability might best determine your next move to a smaller bag. The 8x5 is not only faster, but it is a shorter, smaller target than 10x7. It is much more difficult to add in the elbows, for there is a smaller room for clearance, and the parts have to get in faster.

But if you can't get (purchase) both, than remember the Title (yellow) 8x5 is a tad larger and heavier than the red "classic" 8x5. It might be the better choice.

...and if it is difficult to control at first, let a little air out of it to slow it down a bit.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
        • Sep 2006

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't really thought about he smaller surface area being harder to make clean contact with. Right now the only techniques I do are fsp, fcp, inward/outward elbows, and front fist rolls. I appreciate the offer Chris M to let me borrow your 8x5, but I think I am just going to buy a 9x6 soon.

Right now it's between the red Title 9x6 http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html

or the Everlast 4200 http://store.titleboxing.com/esb.html

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Bags

Lately the "Buzz" I have read is complaints about "lopsided" problems with the Everlast 4200. I've had several in the past and like them, but my email lately, and several forums I read, have been full of complaints about problems with mis-shaped 4200's. I don't know why, but recently that is what I've seen. The Red Title 9x6 is a great bag, (one on my hook right now...) and the Red 9x6 "Classic" is a bit smaller and lighter. ( cheaper, too)
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
            • Sep 2006

I've been searching around this forum, and the net and have read a lot about mishaped/problem Everlast 4200's as well, so I decided to go with the Title. My birthday is coming up so I asked for it (along with the speed bag bible). It's nice to have specific things I want, 'cause usually I'm a pain to shop for. Another great thing about the speed bag!

I read the descriptions of the classic $19.99 red 9x6 and the regular $29.99 9x6 and they both said pretty much the same thing. I am wondering what is different on the $29.99 model that makes it cost 50% more? Anyone have any "inside knowledge" on this?

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
              I've been searching around this forum, and the net and have read a lot about mishaped/problem Everlast 4200's as well, so I decided to go with the Title. My birthday is coming up so I asked for it (along with the speed bag bible). It's nice to have specific things I want, 'cause usually I'm a pain to shop for. Another great thing about the speed bag!

I read the descriptions of the classic $19.99 red 9x6 and the regular $29.99 9x6 and they both said pretty much the same thing. I am wondering what is different on the $29.99 model that makes it cost 50% more? Anyone have any "inside knowledge" on this?
              The $19.99 Class is very light weight and doesn't have the classic teardrop shape. I'd highly recommend spending the extra $10 and getting the regular bag. You'll like the shape better and it's got a little more weight to it.

When I first tried hitting my 5x8 classic, it felt so light I thought it was a joke. It takes an entire different technique to keep it going. The light weight bags don't have much momentum and it's harder to keep the bag going.
              Last edited by Chris M; 10-06-2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
                • Sep 2006

Ohh I see.... When Speedbag said that it was lighter, I thought that meant it would go quicker, but what you said makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up for me .

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

Bruce Lee-
                  I see you are from Huntington Beach. If you ever pass through Santa Monica and want to check out my dual-bag setup, I'm right off the 4-0-fizzle. I have a good variety of bags and a pretty sweet setup in my opinion. Hit me up on PM or email if you want...

BillyMack

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Bags size

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
                    Ohh I see.... When Speedbag said that it was lighter, I thought that meant it would go quicker, but what you said makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up for me .
                    Chris M. is correct in that the lighter bag takes a little adapting to get used to it. At first you feel as though you are punching a feather, and it takes less punch force to get it going. It is a little weird hitting it fast and not punching even medium "hard". But it will go very fast for it has a short rebound arc. Although you might not feel it is as rewarding a physical workout, I really like it when the arthritis in my hands is bothering me, particularly in my little "pinkie" fingers. The lighter bag creates less impact force on the hands, and allows me to get a pretty good workout and not pound my hands into a long painful night.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
                      • Sep 2006

I finally got my Title 9x6 ($29.99 model) today and I am very impressed. I love hitting it! The leather is so much softer than the Century vinyl bag I had. I also got the Speed Bag bible in the mail today, so hopefully I'll have something to make a video of soon. After a day of use I have noticed that my arms don't get much more sore [than on the 10x7], but that it is more of a cardio workout when I'm going all out, which is good for me. I'm also happy because I'm not having any trouble with elbows, although the only elbows I can do kind of fast anyway are outward elbows: left straight punch ' ' ' left outward elbow ' ' ' right straight punch ' ' ' right outward elbow, etc etc

Thanks again for the advice guys

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
                        • Sep 2006

Also, the 9x6 is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, so I'm glad I got it instead of the 8x5.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...