X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

BillyMack's custom platform

Thanks, Chris M. I ended up paying $50.00 for the table; the guy said his dad bought it new for $350 so I definitely got a good deal. I had the luxury of waiting for the right thing to come along at the right price. I don't have a lot of tools so I wanted to get something that was ready to hang.

I got most of the work done yesterday. I have all the hardware in place and hung the cable and pulleys, now I just have to design and install the terminals to make the platform adjustable. The wood alone weighs 50 lbs. so I may not need sand, but I have 100 lbs. just in case.

This will truly be one unique set-up. Besides being ceiling mounted instead of on the wall, this will be a full 36" in diameter and 2" thick of what I now know to be quarter sawn white oak. The platform will be adjustable with a 9" range, and can be pulled up to the ceiling should I need to use park a car in the garage.

There is a compression spring in each leg for several reasons: They help keep the platform level and help kill off any vibration. The added benefit is that the higher you crank the platform (for a larger bag) the stiffer it gets to compensate for the increase in pressure - pure genius

On-the-fly adjustments will involve un-hooking the main cable and hooking it to a lower or higher hook. easy money...

I'll post more pics and some video once I get her finished off...

http://billymack.us/gallery/DreamPlatform (page 3)

Thanks Jason and SupergeZ - craigslist is an awesome resource, especially in dense urban areas like LA or San Diego. I used the search terms like "solid maple" and "butcher block". The one I ended up getting was less than 2 miles from my house...sweetness!!
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...