• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

platforms

hello everyone,

what do you do when the studs on your walls are not 16inches, but are 24instead? any vibrations to worry about when you cant mount the unit directly the the studs. most units are made for 16inch on center studs. Thanks guys! love the web site.

ps i also have sheetrock on the wall so any fabrication on the inside wall structure is out of the question.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
    hello everyone,

what do you do when the studs on your walls are not 16inches, but are 24instead? any vibrations to worry about when you cant mount the unit directly the the studs. most units are made for 16inch on center studs. Thanks guys! love the web site.

ps i also have sheetrock on the wall so any fabrication on the inside wall structure is out of the question.
    See here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups

Scroll down to the picture where there are wood placed between the wall and the platform. That wood would be mounted to the studs, and then the platform to the wood. Can you do that?

You definitely must have the platform anchored solidly, it will rip right out of sheet rock... The inertia and vibration generated by even a medium sized bag is impressive, even at moderate speeds.

If you can't do the above, you might have to go to a freestanding unit. It won't be as vibration free as a wall mount unit, but I myself have made substantial progress using one.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
      • Oct 2006

i actually did do that with 2x4s and it still cause a vibration. i used 4 inch lags for the wood to the studs and 2 inch for the platform to the wood. the 2x4s flexed a bit which caused a little vibration. i want zero. i made an ibox out 11gauge steel 2x4s and 1/4 inch steel plating arc welded together. it also has a 2 inch butcher block for a drum. i never measured the width of the studs before i started. stupid! i assumed 16 when they were 24. argh!!!! any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I think zero vibration is going to be kind of tough to attain with the way you have it mounted up, but if you put a sand bag or some other kind of well secured weights on top, I have found that it cuts down on vibration significantly.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...