• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • appelm
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2009

New to speedbag.. question on gloves/bag

Hi.. I just got an Everlast "high performance" speed bag platform as a gift. I'm just getting started with it. I also was given the Speed Bag Bible book and DVD. I have a beginner's itch lately and can't stop thinking/dreaming about the speed bag now!

First off, I realized the mittens that come with this platform are horrible. So I decided to order some new gloves. I got these TITLE Speed Bag Gloves. I didn't see any review of them on this forum. Any thoughts on them? I find them a bit clunky so far. And I wonder if the extra padding is interfering with the trajectory of the bag. I find the reverse punches particularly tricky with them. Maybe I just have to get used to them.

I also decided to follow Alan's suggestion and get a bigger speed bag. I'm not sure what size came with my Everlast platform as it doesn't say. I also wonder if its vinyl. I think it is. Anyone know? I considered an 11x8" bag but it just seemed so big from Tim's bag comparison video. So I decided to buy this Title 10x7" black bag instead. When I received it recently though it seems to be almost the same size as the one that came with the Everlast kit, though perhaps a touch bigger. But all of a sudden I'm hitting a lot better. Its softer, probably because its leather, and seems to react a lot better for me. Does 10x7 qualify as a 'bigger bag'?

Thanks for all the great information on this forum and speed bag central.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by appelm View Post
    Hi.. I just got an Everlast "high performance" speed bag platform as a gift. I'm just getting started with it. I also was given the Speed Bag Bible book and DVD. I have a beginner's itch lately and can't stop thinking/dreaming about the speed bag now!

First off, I realized the mittens that come with this platform are horrible. So I decided to order some new gloves. I got these TITLE Speed Bag Gloves. I didn't see any review of them on this forum. Any thoughts on them? I find them a bit clunky so far. And I wonder if the extra padding is interfering with the trajectory of the bag. I find the reverse punches particularly tricky with them. Maybe I just have to get used to them.

I also decided to follow Alan's suggestion and get a bigger speed bag. I'm not sure what size came with my Everlast platform as it doesn't say. I also wonder if its vinyl. I think it is. Anyone know? I considered an 11x8" bag but it just seemed so big from Tim's bag comparison video. So I decided to buy this Title 10x7" black bag instead. When I received it recently though it seems to be almost the same size as the one that came with the Everlast kit, though perhaps a touch bigger. But all of a sudden I'm hitting a lot better. Its softer, probably because its leather, and seems to react a lot better for me. Does 10x7 qualify as a 'bigger bag'?

Thanks for all the great information on this forum and speed bag central.
    In all honesty, I don't think the size is as important as the part I bolded. If you are hitting better, who cares what size it is? A 10x7 is a great size for learning, and all 10x7's are not created equal. Bag sizes are relative, but that is the one that is working for you. Keep using it.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• appelm
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2009

Great. That makes sense.. Thanks.

Any thoughts on those gloves? Maybe I just need to wear them in some. But I'm a bit surprised by the extra leather on the side. Here are some pictures. As I'm not that good at this yet, I can't tell if its the gloves or me mis-hitting that's causing the bag to sometimes veer to the side.

Marc
      Attached Files

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        In all honesty, I don't think the size is as important as the part I bolded. If you are hitting better, who cares what size it is?
        I'll second that.

But for what it's worth I own both those bag as well (the everlast vinyl and title black 10x7) and they are pretty close to the same size. THey both weigh the same, approx 8 oz. too.

That title bag is excellent, as you have seen - nice soft leather , good rebounds.

In my opinion Everlast is not doing themselves any favors by selling such a wide variety of bags, most of the stuff they sell in brick and mortar retailers is pretty bad (compared to the "good" stuff).
        Last edited by Tim; 01-17-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hi.. I just got an Everlast "high performance" speed bag platform as a gift. I'm just getting started with it. I also was given the Speed Bag Bible book and DVD.
          I forgot to mention, whomever got you this gift has some excellent insight into speed bagging. They must be a bag enthusiast ,as indicated by the purchase of the speed bag bible.

I used to use a very similar ringside item (here's me circa 2003). They are bulky, they do interfere, and at some point you may find that either a) you're better off with lighter weight gloves or b) you don't need gloves at all. Really there is no need for so much padding on a speed bag glove, it's not like hitting a heavy bag!

Another option is hand wraps, keeps the skin from getting chaffed, although it's a bit tedious to put them on (compared to gloves).

Alan recommends Harbinger gloves, see here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ght=harbingers

Last edited by Tim; 01-17-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Great. That makes sense.. Thanks.

Any thoughts on those gloves? Maybe I just need to wear them in some. But I'm a bit surprised by the extra leather on the side. Here are some pictures. As I'm not that good at this yet, I can't tell if its the gloves or me mis-hitting that's causing the bag to sometimes veer to the side.

Marc

I hate those kind of gloves to be honest. I use to modify hand wraps to shorten them and get a few turns around the hands for support, then I went to the Harginger weight lifting classic which you will see a lot in this video, but In all honesty I hit bare handed most of time. In a short time your hands will normally adapt to hitting without covering. I often use the gloves on a "new bag" before the seams are beat down between the panels, but not for long.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• appelm
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2009

ok.. so 20 bucks down the tubes . I should have just followed the advice on your website to begin with and bought the harbinger gloves. I went ahead and ordered the 130's. Although I agree hitting bare-handed feels quite natural, I do find it pretty tough on my hands particularly during these cold and dry northeast winter days. Hope the harbinger glove works out.

Thanks for the tips. I'm slowly going through your video Alan. I've gone through the first section to about where you start elbow-strikes.. trying to master everything so far before I go too much further. Its fantastic how quickly I've improved, particularly with the new leather bag. That said, I've suffered some shoulder soreness and had to use a bit of ice recently. My 39yr old shoulders are not used to this kind of workout!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

ok.. so 20 bucks down the tubes . I should have just followed the advice on your website to begin with and bought the harbinger gloves. I went ahead and ordered the 130's. Although I agree hitting bare-handed feels quite natural, I do find it pretty tough on my hands particularly during these cold and dry northeast winter days. Hope the harbinger glove works out.

Thanks for the tips. I'm slowly going through your video Alan. I've gone through the first section to about where you start elbow-strikes.. trying to master everything so far before I go too much further. Its fantastic how quickly I've improved, particularly with the new leather bag. That said, I've suffered some shoulder soreness and had to use a bit of ice recently. My 39yr old shoulders are not used to this kind of workout!!
                I know how you feel about shoulders. Take it easy. This is not a race. The more you can mix the simple basics, the easier the more complex combinations will be, for each step foreward is just a small extension of what you already know. The Outward and Downward Elbows will allow the shoulders to rotate a bit and relieve the pain of holding the elbows UP in the normal higher, linking position. But be sure and warm up well before doing them, particularly with any force applied.

The Harbinger soft leather really takes the bag nice. It doesn't "slide" on contact, and also that model doesn't have an seam connection directly over a contact surface. At least not on my hand.

Good luck.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...