• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mistapohl
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2006

Hello, With a Quick Question

Hello All. This is my first time posting here but i ran into this site yesterday when I was doing some research on buying my heavy bag and speed bag. I have been reading about the different sizes of bags and was wondering a few questions in general and about my setup.

1. I know that there are different sizes. (5x8, 6x9 etc.) How is that measured?

2. I bought an everlast stand that included the bags for 150 yesterday at academy sports and nowhere on the bag did it say what size my bag was.

3. reading the forums and other sites, it is my impression that a larger bag is better for beginners, am i correct? if not, what is a good size to start on?

i have taken a few pics on my phone so you can see what im talking about.

Thanks in advance for your time.

-mistapohl

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Answer to question

hi Mistapohl

Glad to have you here. I will try to answer your questions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. I know that there are different sizes. (5x8, 6x9 etc.) How is that measured?

Answer: That is the dimensions of the bag, width (5) x length (9). I'm not sure exactly what is measured on the bag, for there seems to be no standard between bag manufacturers. Two companies can make a 5x8 and they won't really match each other in size and shape. But the standard is pretty close and the sizes are pretty standard, although a narrower bag seems to be in vogue at some companies.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. I bought an everlast stand that included the bags for 150 yesterday at academy sports and nowhere on the bag did it say what size my bag was.

Answer: I've seen that same unit at academy. It appears to be a very inexpensive version of an 11x8. If it's like the one at the Academy store close to me, it probably won't last long. It is not a high quality speed bag.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3. reading the forums and other sites, it is my impression that a larger bag is better for beginners, am i correct? if not, what is a good size to start on?

Answer: YES. I think a beginner should stick with a bag size of 8x11 or 7x10. I actually prefer the 10x7 on the freestanding frame you posted, for it is a very light board and slightly unstable. I think a 10x7 - dark blue bag will work better with this unit.

here are some Beginner Tips that may help.

Good luck with your speed bag stand and your training.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
      • Oct 2006

welcome to the website. the larger number listed for the size of the speed bag usually associates to the length of the bag (up and down). and naturally the other number listed is for the width (ex. 5x8 or 8x5: 5 being the width and 8 being the length).

Alan "speedbag" is also right about the sizes being inconsistent from company to company, but if you stick with higher end models, i have found them to be fairly accurate. the vinyl bag that you have now will work just fine to get you going. i used it and it lasted me until i was ready to bump up in size(about 3-4 months using everyday and can still be used). and the bag that you have actually measures out to roughly a 10x7 as opposed to the 11x8 listed for that particular bag by everlast.

i measure the bags from the top of the attaching loop to the bottom. then side to side. if its a mexican style like Alan is talking about, then the side to side measurement will be off and much thinner than listed. ringside uses a mexican style. everlast pro series and title are regular "teardrop" styles.

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
        • Sep 2006

Hello and welcome. Another thing that might help you out is if you put a bag of sand on top of the drum. Most people with economy line set-ups (thinner drums) do this to decrease vibrations. It will feel much more solid (better) when speedbagging. It is definitely worth the $4 or so for the bag of sand to do this.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
          Hello and welcome. Another thing that might help you out is if you put a bag of sand on top of the drum. Most people with economy line set-ups (thinner drums) do this to decrease vibrations. It will feel much more solid (better) when speedbagging. It is definitely worth the $4 or so for the bag of sand to do this.
          I can attest to the sand bag trick also. I have used sand on all my platforms and it makes a significant difference. The only additional thing I would recommend is to put the sand bag inside a hefty bag or pillow case and tape the end shut with duct tape to keep sand from flying all over you with every hit.

I started off with the same vinyl bag that you have, and it worked quite well. My first upgrade purchase was to get an Everlast 11x8 and it made learning much easier. Maybe it's psychological but the leather seemed to be softer on my hands even with wraps on.

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

I can vouch for the sand as well. I have an Everlast El Cheapo wall-mounted platform. I broke the 50# bag of sand into 5 10-pound bags then loaded them one-by-one into an old army duffel. Then I use ractcheting straps to secure the mounting arms...very little vibration and/or noise.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
              The only additional thing I would recommend is to put the sand bag inside a hefty bag or pillow case and tape the end shut with duct tape to keep sand from flying all over you with every hit.
              Yes! Definitely do this. I've been on the receiving end of the vibration induced sand shower before.

Comment

• Mistapohl
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Oct 2006

Thanks for the speedy replies. If i have any more questions i will post them. thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...