• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2006

Bad Wall Vibration - how to reduce?

Hi, well I just got started with my speed bag, basically there was an everlast high performance (basically just their black 9"x6") bag in my high school weightlifting class, and I got to like it, and I've got just straight up three-impact hits like totally down.

anyhow, that's not what I was posting about, what I need was some advice on what to do about some wall vibration I'm getting from my standard issue everlast platform and my 11"x8" standard issue bag. I put it outdoors (underneath patio cover, so it's out of the weather) on the stucco end of the wall. everything works fine, but my dad was complaining about it sounding like a huge thunderstorm hitting the house everytime i went out to use the bag.

I was hoping someone here has had a similar issue in the past and knows what to do about it... it's getting to the point where I'm considering going out and spending god knows how much on a different setup. (i had my dad punch the bag while i was in the house and he wasn't kidding, it was loud).

thanks for any advice

-dakota
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Vibration

Hi Dakota

This kind of problem is usually NOT the fault of your speed bag equipment, but is more related to the wall it is hung on. Not all walls are created equal. Weight bearing support walls hold up better than inside non-weight bearing hollow walls.

Having had similiar cases inside a house, ( hanging on an inside wall rattles the wall and room next to it..) The only solution I have found is extend the distance between the wall and the speed bag vertical mounts,(place 2x4, or better, 4x4 vertical wood runners up the wall, and attach speed bag unit to them) and perhaps pad inbetween them.

That will reduce the vibration, but probably not eliminate it. The more "layers" of wood and carpet padding or rubber mats you can place between the speed bag hardware and the actual wall, the better you will be. I have not found that buying a high dollar speed bag unit will reduce wall vibration. That can really help with a lousy board, but a weak wall will not benefit from a much heavier unit hung on it.

Good luck. I know many others are facing similiar issues.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

First off, I'm assuming that you've checked to make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight on your platform? Even one loose nut can make a lot of noise! (I'm avoiding a really good pun here!)

In addition to what "speedbag" said, I'd recommend going to Lowe's or Home Depot and getting a sandbag to put on top of the unit. I have found that they significantly cut down vibration and it may help you out as well. Besides, it's cheap (about $5.00) and it's easy to install.

Just make sure you put the sandbag inside an old pillow case or hefty bag and duct tape them shut in case the sand bag leaks a little.

I can't emphasize enough how much difference a sand bag makes on my units, and I have two high quality units. I first got the idea on my first platform which is the same one you have now.

p.s., for what it's worth, you're always going to have some vibration and noise inside the house no matter what you do. To illustrate my point, I have a Balasz I-Box for my indoor unit, and I have it mounted on a brick wall in my basement and it still can be heard and felt throughout the house when I use it. I've done a lot to eliminate noise such as not using a ball-hook swivel, I went to one of the pro-swivels that are much quieter, seen here: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-p...ro-swivel.html and the sand bag on top. This made a significant difference, but it's still there to some extent.

Here's a link to my set up, although I didn't have a sandbag on top when I took this picture:

Good luck!

Chris
      Last edited by Chris M; 11-13-2006, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Dakota
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2006

yeah, all the nuts and bolts are tight and secured tight with split (lock) washers

this is pretty much the only place (and probably the best place) i could find for the bag.

I'll make a run down to home depot for the sand bag, that acutally does sound like a great idea.

as for the 2x4's though, wouldn't a good way to do it, if i wanted max separation from the wall to be to put up one set of horizontal ones along the wall, then run vertical ones off of that, then attatch the brackets to the vertical 2x4's?

just wondering

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
          as for the 2x4's though, wouldn't a good way to do it, if i wanted max separation from the wall to be to put up one set of horizontal ones along the wall, then run vertical ones off of that, then attatch the brackets to the vertical 2x4's?

just wondering
          Actually, I would try the Sandbag first, as Chris suggests, and see if that works. If it doesn't than try the wood. Yes, I believe your suggested horizontals, then vertical would be good, as long as the weight and fulcrum off the wall aren't too much weight. All that wood and distance could put a strain on your wall.

Good Luck.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 11-14-2006, 07:01 AM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

as Tim suggests
            ahem?

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Actually, I would try the Sandbag first, as Tim suggests, and see if that works. If it doesn't than try the wood. Yes, I believe your suggested horizontals, then vertical would be good, as long as the weight and fulcrum off the wall aren't too much weight. All that wood and distance could put a strain on your wall.

Good Luck.

Maybe I'm not understanding the concept here, but in essence it appears to me if you take two 2x4's and place them horizontally, then attaching two 2x4's verticall and attached to the platform, that isn't really any different than just placing a 4x4x4 block behind the platform and sticking them between the wall? Think about where the boards are converging. What is this really accomplishing that is any different from placing a thick block between the wall platform at four points?

I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to look at this logically and wondering if I'm missing anything?

I very well may be missing something. I just got back from my boxing class tonight and I am beat, big time, literally and figuratively.

Chris

Comment

• Dakota
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2006

oh, well now that I come to think of it, that's basically the same thing, yes...

was just trying to get as much distance from the wall as possible, but you're right, it's about equivalent to two 4x4's might even add more vibration than that since it's more to rub together when hit.

I'm going to drop by the local fire station on my way home tomorrow and pick up a sand bag, try that first, then see how I'm doing. if that doesn't work the n I may try the 4x4's, or something to that note.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                  ahem?

I said "Tim" and meant "Chris".

Sorry. I acknowledge the brain fart
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    I said "Tim" and meant "Chris".

Sorry. I acknowledge the brain fart
                    I know, I wasn't offended, just calling you out on it.

Comment

• BillyMack
                      • Sep 2006

I can attest to the addition of horizontal 2x4s. When I had my unit mounted directly to the studs I had awful vibration throughout the entire garage. I was distracted by the vibration and couldn't get a good workout becuase I was sure someone would come knocking and tell me to quiet down. So I took the following steps.

1. Mounted 3 horizontal 2x4s across 10 vetical studs
                      2. Reinforced my board with a 24"wood round from the hardware store.
                      3. Replaced factory hardware with new nuts/bolts/washers
                      4. Added 50# sand to the top of my board.
                      5. Spread the mounting arms far apart before tightening, this adds tension.

Here are 2 "before" pics:

Here's "after"

Mounting the horizontal studs made a HUGE difference. Instead of the force going into 2 vertical studs, the force goes into 3 horizontal studs first, then passes the remaining force across 10 vertical studs. Spreading the force across this much wood really killed the vibration, and the only noise you hear is the bag hitting the board and my music!

Comment

• Dakota
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Nov 2006

yeah, well I'll take that into consideration.. right now the improvised sand bag I made is working great, no one complains about noise anymore, and I get way better rebounds; If I do happen to do more to the platform though, The horizontal 2x4's looks like the way to go.

as far as replacing the factory hardware, i didn't really need to do that, all you need to do to make the factory stuff work GREAT is to put split washers under the nuts before you tighten them up (keeps them tight and not all rattly)

but anyway, the way I made my own sand bag was to use a glad forceFlex trash bag, fill it with about 30 lbs of dirt, then put that bag inside an old pillowcase (without lifting it, of course, the trash bag would break)

I was unable to procure a real sand bag, so this worked great.

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

I'm glad you found a solution, and a cheap one at that!

Comment

• Dakota
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Nov 2006

here's a picture of what I did, i used 3 bungee cords to secure it.

and me using it afterwards, here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Dakota; 11-15-2006, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Mar 2006

Looks great. I never thought of using bungee cords to hold the sand bag in place. I always placed them over the bolts that protrude through the board to hold the sand bag in place but that doesn't always work.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...