• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2006

Advice on new purchase

Need some advice on my speedbag equipment. I have purchased the book and dvd (The Speed Bag Bible). Now as the old saying goes all dressed up and no where to go. I need hardware, I have considered the iBox platform but would like to upgrade the swivel, I don't thing I want to drill holes in the braces, but maybe. I also saw this setup. http://store.titleboxing.com/psbp.html (I don't think I pasted this link properly) which would allow changing swivels easily. They also have a extra large 11x8 bag, which I believe would be good for a beginner. Thanks for any advice and have really enjoyed this forum.
    Last edited by Tim; 11-14-2006, 04:13 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I don't think there's anything wrong with either purchase but there is one thing to know about the setup at the link you gave http://store.titleboxing.com/psbp.html

The type of setups that slide on tubes tend to rattle a little more unless you really tighten down on the knobs that are designed to keep the outer tubes from banging on the inner tubes.

I have the I-Box, and even though I drilled all the way through the platform, there's no reason why you couldn't countersink the screws in the top of the board, then have the bolts protrude through the bottom for your swivel. This would not be difficult at all, and as a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering doing just that so I can have the option of using a metal ball hook swivel if I want to.

If/when I do that I'll post pictures.

Based purely on my experience and satisfaction with the I-Box, I can't imagine being more satisfied with any other unit regardless of price.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Another good looking platform, although it's not height adjustable, is the ringside SBPLAT-3

It's on sale for $129.99 right now if you call in your order and use catalog code YA ( I just got the ringside holidays catalog in the mail today). That price is NOT listed on the website, I think they are clearing out inventory of this item - as it's no longer linked from the home page. Here's the page from the catalog, and here

I haven't used this particular model, but it's got a 2" thick drum that is 30" in diameter, it also comes with a free ringside speed bag #RPSB (althought it's mexcian design, which doesn't have the classic teardrop shape most of us love). The free speed bag isn't mentioned on the web site, as mentioned before, this is good on phone in orders only.

Sounds like a good deal, if I don't get an I-Box, I may get this one.
      Last edited by Tim; 11-14-2006, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• monkaboy
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2006

Thanks Tim for the tip on the ringside platform, just ordered one today. (Great value). I'm thinking of mounting it on plate steel thats been slotted to make it adjustable. If its a success I'll post a picture. Thanks to all those who post on this site (I read it daily).

Comment

• Popeye
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2006

Yeah, Thanks Tim, for spending my money too, I ordered mine a couple of days ago after your post. I believe I can make it adjustable with some "unistrut" material. I believe that with the little knowledge (actually zero) I have, that getting the right height is helpful. Even when changing to a different bag, height could make all the difference even-though it's only a couple of inches.
          I would also like to thank Chris for his insight on vibration. The ibox was probably going to be my second choice. May still be? Should be here here 11-21 according to ups if I can figure out how to post pictures I will and will also post after installation. Thank you everybody!

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
            Yeah, Thanks Tim, for spending my money too, I ordered mine a couple of days ago after your post. I believe I can make it adjustable with some "unistrut" material. I believe that with the little knowledge (actually zero) I have, that getting the right height is helpful. Even when changing to a different bag, height could make all the difference even-though it's only a couple of inches.
            I would also like to thank Chris for his insight on vibration. The ibox was probably going to be my second choice. May still be? Should be here here 11-21 according to ups if I can figure out how to post pictures I will and will also post after installation. Thank you everybody!
            I think having the right height makes a difference no matter what your skill level is. I switch bags frequently and I do change heights of my ibox when I go from a 6x9 to an 8x11.

However, what you can do if you have a non-adjustable platform is to mount it at the proper height with the largest bag you use, maybe an 8x11 if you think you're ever going to use one. If you're new, I'd highly suggest you start on a bag this size. It made a huge difference when I started finally got a bigger bag. My first set up came with the vinyl everlast bag and it was getting somewhat frustrating. Moving to the bigger bag per Alan's suggestion made it easier for me to go slower. Anyway, when you move to a 6x9 or 5x8 you can put down pieces of foam (like the kind that is made for a shop or workout area) and/or even a couple of pieces of plywood to bring yourself up to the proper height. Just a suggestion...

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
              I think having the right height makes a difference no matter what your skill level is. I switch bags frequently and I do change heights of my ibox when I go from a 6x9 to an 8x11.

.... Anyway, when you move to a 6x9 or 5x8 you can put down pieces of foam (like the kind that is made for a shop or workout area) and/or even a couple of pieces of plywood to bring yourself up to the proper height. Just a suggestion...
              A great suggestion. It is always easier to raise yourself up a bit to use a smaller bag. For many years I kept a 4 ft square of plywood close to my board, which was set for my 11x8 (Everlast 4210). Then when I changed I could simply stand on the plywood platform. When I moved to a much smaller bag, 8x5 or 7x4, I put the plywood on either 1x4 or 2x4 runners, making a little platform. That was a lot easier than try to adjust the board with wrenches.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                Yeah, Thanks Tim, for spending my money too, I ordered mine a couple of days ago after your post.
                You're welcome, my order just went in

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by monkaboy View Post
                  I'm thinking of mounting it on plate steel thats been slotted to make it adjustable. If its a success I'll post a picture.
                  Neat idea, please do post pictures if it works.

Comment

• yallknowho
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Oct 2006

I ordered an i-box 1 week ago. I should have waited a couple days, I would have bought that discounted one posted.

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by yallknowho View Post
                      I ordered an i-box 1 week ago. I should have waited a couple days, I would have bought that discounted one posted.

The discount one is not adjustable. Don't regret your decision, the I-box is very nice and well worth the money. I don't regret getting mine for a second.

Comment

• monkaboy
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Oct 2006

Ringside platform has arrived.

Ringside platform has arrived and it is actually a lot nicer than the picture in the catalog. The 30" drum is very solid and heavy nicely finished too. The support is also massive and heavy finished in a grayish stippled enamel with the ringside logos on the sides( a very good looking unit) The drum ships without swivel holes so you have to drill your own. The swivel is the PS3 that Chris M has pictured on his unit(extremely smooth action out of the box). All in all very pleased. The cost of this unit is just a little more than a centry entry level unit, and has a top notch bag throw in (they give you your choice of size). Two thumbs up on this one. I must say the the boxes arrived pretty banged up but everything inside was unharmed. If your thinking about his platform I hope this helped.

Comment

• Popeye
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Nov 2006

I received mine yesterday, it is heavy duty, the holes are on 16 inch centers, the platform (drum) on mine has some damage on the edge but when mounted it will be on the top portion should not be any problem, I don't want to try and send it back, if I had paid the regular amount I would send it back.
                          I ordered a large bag with mine but it measures a little small so I purchased a 11x8 everlast professional from title boxing. I have gathered all my unistrut, screws, lag bolts and I will construct and install this weekend.

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

I'd very much like to see some pictures from both of you when you get them mounted. They sound really nice!

Comment

• monkaboy
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Oct 2006

I have gathered all my unistrut, screws, lag bolts and I will construct and install this weekend.[/QUOTE]
                              if the unistrut works I'll do mine the same way, Please keep us posted.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...