• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Flooring for speedbagging

This thread was inspired by another thread where I made a comment about non-adjustable platforms and things you can do to compensate for smaller bags on a non-adjustable platform. If you put down a piece or two of 3/4" plywood and one or two layers of the mats below, you could easily raise yourself up 3 inches or so.

I moved this past summer and since I'm still kind of getting things situated, I threw a floor mat that I used to use in front of my table saw under my platform. I've come to really enjoy having it there and thought I'd pass along a tip that I have come to really like!

I have one similar to this, only it says "DeWalt" on it, it's also 2'x5' as shown here: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4762 You can buy these at Lowe's, Home Depot, or just about anywhere, they may even sell "anti-fatigue mats" at Office Depot.

They also sell them at Titleboxing here: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-p...orts-mats.html

I'd highly recommend these, you'd be surprised at what a difference it makes!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Flooring,

ah, the memories of those interleaving rubber mats. The smell of the gym, the bounce of olympic plates hitting them...

the only issue I would have is shuffling the feet. with rubber soled shoes, I remember them kinda grabbing, making me have to lift my left/foot slightly to shuffle as I punched. Not a big deal, But I do remember like them a bit dusty so the tennis shoes would slide a bit easier.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      ah, the memories of those interleaving rubber mats. The smell of the gym, the bounce of olympic plates hitting them...

the only issue I would have is shuffling the feet. with rubber soled shoes, I remember them kinda grabbing, making me have to lift my left/foot slightly to shuffle as I punched. Not a big deal, But I do remember like them a bit dusty so the tennis shoes would slide a bit easier.
      Heh, yeah, they have those mats at the YMCA where I have my boxing class. Hopefully I won't ever have to smell them by direct contact with my nose during class someday!

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I remember them kinda grabbing, making me have to lift my left/foot slightly to shuffle as I punched. Not a big deal, But I do remember like them a bit dusty so the tennis shoes would slide a bit easier.
        Well, in my basement workshop, it doesn't take long for anything to get dusty. The mat that I put down has had all kinds of stuff ground into it over the years so it doesn't really grip very well. I imagine a new one would be kind of grippy. Of course, all you'd have to do is turn it upside down for a a couple of rounds to grind some dirt into them in order to grind some dust into them.

I really enjoy speed bagging on a softer floor vs. a cement floor.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...