• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Tribute to a MASTER GUITAR PLAYER!!

Trying to punch drum to Stevie Ray Vaughn"Pride and Joy". I tried to keep the techniques basic.Her it is mistakes and all!

sigpic
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

wow looking better all ready...the only thing i see is that ur keeping ur off hand down at ur waist when not hitting and i looks like ur rushing to get it back up to the bag rather than keeping it smooth.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

AlRIGHT! Now your talkin.. er, punching. Super job. That Title 10x7 was a good choice for that song.

I hear that tune as sort of a boogie bounce beat, with a lot of double beats, so double punches work really well. I can make a few suggestions for ya...

In basic punching like that, it's easy to change sides of the bag by using a Double Punch on the side you are going to. For instance, doing FCP or FSP on the beat from the front, change to single punching behind the bag by doing a Reverse Double Punch, putting your second fist of the RDP "ON" the beat and just keep on in the triplet rhythm behind the bag. it will make a da-DA sound and fits with the music.

..R.........L.........L.......L-R..........R.........R....
      FCP ' ' ' FSP ' ' ' FCP ' ' (RDP) ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP....continue. Notice you have now changed sides of the bag, but your punch accents stay right "on" beat.

to get back "to the front", just do a Front Double Punch (FDP) to get back. It works the same way, putting the second fist "on" the beat.

..R.........R.........R........R-L..........R........
      RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' ...basic rhythm.

that is how you change sides of the bag. It can be Side Double Punch also. It doesn't matter what side of the bag your single fist will come out on, just double punch on that side getting there.

You can make a real easy combo and change sides doing this off a fist roll, which works great in this song. Look at your Front Fist Roll at 1:10, just after the work "JOY". You break into a cool F-Roll and stop on beat. You could also just start pass through to RDP, than return front to a Front Double Punch and back to single punching, adding a flowing daDa daDa beat. OR you could keep going FDP ' ' RDP... which is a bag beat that works perfectly with this song. In fact, you can really do a nice combo of F-Rolls to RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP
      to create a "bounce bag beat" da DA da DA da DA da DA. The last two fists of a Front Fist Roll act as a Front Double Punch in the sequence, so the constant "da DA da DA" sound flows evenly with the Fist Rolls thrown where ever you want, basically.

But I'm just giving suggestions. You hit to it great.

(* yes, drummers really talk this way, with da DA, digga dum, digga digga and let a whole lotta words that BT made up in never heard of. Geez, don't get him started... )
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

GREAT JOB! You're getting better with every video, no doubt about that!

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
          wow looking better all ready...the only thing i see is that ur keeping ur off hand down at ur waist when not hitting and i looks like ur rushing to get it back up to the bag rather than keeping it smooth.
          I see what you're talking about. I really need to work at keeping my elbows up. Thanks Kyle
          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          AlRIGHT! Now your talkin.. er, punching. Super job. That Title 10x7 was a good choice for that song.

I hear that tune as sort of a boogie bounce beat, with a lot of double beats, so double punches work really well. I can make a few suggestions for ya...

In basic punching like that, it's easy to change sides of the bag by using a Double Punch on the side you are going to. For instance, doing FCP or FSP on the beat from the front, change to single punching behind the bag by doing a Reverse Double Punch, putting your second fist of the RDP "ON" the beat and just keep on in the triplet rhythm behind the bag. it will make a da-DA sound and fits with the music.

..R.........L.........L.......L-R..........R.........R....
          FCP ' ' ' FSP ' ' ' FCP ' ' (RDP) ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP....continue. Notice you have now changed sides of the bag, but your punch accents stay right "on" beat.

to get back "to the front", just do a Front Double Punch (FDP) to get back. It works the same way, putting the second fist "on" the beat.

..R.........R.........R........R-L..........R........
          RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' ...basic rhythm.

that is how you change sides of the bag. It can be Side Double Punch also. It doesn't matter what side of the bag your single fist will come out on, just double punch on that side getting there.

You can make a real easy combo and change sides doing this off a fist roll, which works great in this song. Look at your Front Fist Roll at 1:10, just after the work "JOY". You break into a cool F-Roll and stop on beat. You could also just start pass through to RDP, than return front to a Front Double Punch and back to single punching, adding a flowing daDa daDa beat. OR you could keep going FDP ' ' RDP... which is a bag beat that works perfectly with this song. In fact, you can really do a nice combo of F-Rolls to RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP
          to create a "bounce bag beat" da DA da DA da DA da DA. The last two fists of a Front Fist Roll act as a Front Double Punch in the sequence, so the constant "da DA da DA" sound flows evenly with the Fist Rolls thrown where ever you want, basically.

But I'm just giving suggestions. You hit to it great.

(* yes, drummers really talk this way, with da DA, digga dum, digga digga and let a whole lotta words that BT made up in never heard of. Geez, don't get him started... )
          Alan, you are The MASTER good reason. I'm gonna try the exercises you just gave me. I love this forum!!!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          GREAT JOB! You're getting better with every video, no doubt about that!
          Thanks Tim! With you guys behind me, I'll keep getting better!
          sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            Trying to punch drum to Stevie Ray Vaughn"Pride and Joy". I tried to keep the techniques basic.Her it is mistakes and all!

Cool Metaldad! You definitey hear the beat.
            I noticed that as soon as you did your first fist roll, you came out one punch too soon to land back on the beat. But you kept it going nice and solid, and added in some FDP's keeping time as well.
            So, a lot of the time your FCPunching was on the "upside" of the beat. But in that song, that is a dominant part of the guitar rhythm. So maybe you hear the punches there as the place to keep time? That's cool. But if you do hear that part of the beat to punch to, you should also try to hear where the drummer's kick and snare are. If you can punch comfortably between the 2 instrument's rhythms, you will be able to start mixing it up with different combos and come back to the main downbeats.
            A great start! There are not many people punch drumming.
            I need to mention to Skunk, although he is probably aware of it, that the audio he added to his "double vision" punch drumming clip is off by a half beat. He tried to sync up the actual recording to his punching but they aren't together. He is obviously punch drumming to the song on his iPod, but when syncing the audio up, it didn't lock up. I would love to see that clip if he gets the audio locked up, because it does seem to be in time for the most part, and if it is....it is sick....
            Speedbag, your thoughts?
            I suggest we ask Skunk to try to lock that audio up one more time. His routines are sick and from what I can tell, he is pretty locked up and pulling off all the insane stuff.
            BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
              Cool Metaldad! You definitey hear the beat.
              I noticed that as soon as you did your first fist roll, you came out one punch too soon to land back on the beat. But you kept it going nice and solid, and added in some FDP's keeping time as well.
              So, a lot of the time your FCPunching was on the "upside" of the beat. But in that song, that is a dominant part of the guitar rhythm. So maybe you hear the punches there as the place to keep time? That's cool. But if you do hear that part of the beat to punch to, you should also try to hear where the drummer's kick and snare are. If you can punch comfortably between the 2 instrument's rhythms, you will be able to start mixing it up with different combos and come back to the main downbeats.
              A great start! There are not many people punch drumming.
              I need to mention to Skunk, although he is probably aware of it, that the audio he added to his "double vision" punch drumming clip is off by a half beat. He tried to sync up the actual recording to his punching but they aren't together. He is obviously punch drumming to the song on his iPod, but when syncing the audio up, it didn't lock up. I would love to see that clip if he gets the audio locked up, because it does seem to be in time for the most part, and if it is....it is sick....
              Speedbag, your thoughts?
              I suggest we ask Skunk to try to lock that audio up one more time. His routines are sick and from what I can tell, he is pretty locked up and pulling off all the insane stuff.
              BAG ON!
              That's why I punch to a "boom box" that is audible, so the bag and music will sync. I used to punch with a tape "walk man" years ago, (actually pictured in the book..) but on Skunks "double vision" I hear some of skunks combo's as slightly ahead of the beat, and then sometimes behind the beat (a bit late) and no matter which way he moves the insert audio there's still going to be some sections off beat. but that's the creative part of punch drumming, getting off a bit then adusting and get back on. In his case I don't think he rhythmically knows exactly where his groove is going with the musical phrase, but he's fast enough to pull off anything in double time and make it work. That 4-way elbow double clutch at 1:43-1:45 is just too insane for words. It would take a four stroke roll (F-Roll x4) ' ' (R-Roll x4) to dublicate or echo that beat, but it really does fit great there and looks fantastic with the elbows. Actually that whole section of 1:38 to 1:46 is just too cool for words with all the inwards and 4-way ES. That creates a groove beat I hadn't really heard myself but, much like your combos SSP, it just adds another unique element of how every drummer does it different.

MetalDad really feels the beat and works it well. Like you, SSP a few months ago, when his bag skills get better he's gonna rip off some great punch drum riffs. He's got the ear for it, sounds like he has the groove for it, and one of these days he's gonna drop a "...wayward bag" video that shocks the baggin world.

is this great or what...!!
              Last edited by Speedbag; 09-13-2009, 10:14 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...