• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

The Final Bagdown! Some Alan Kahn!

It's always good to get to see a new clip of the Speed Bag King effortlessly punch drumming! And check out his perfect ending!
    BAG ON!

Last edited by spinsmashpop; 09-15-2009, 03:55 AM. Reason: more bag icons needed!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

...and that's why you love the speed bag truck, Playing to LIVE Rock Music just off stage with the Drummer of Foreigner video taping you. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'm always amazed at how solid that board is....
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Aweome as always Alan !! Hey Brian, is the Speedbag Truck gonna make it to Chicago in Oct?
      sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        It's always good to get to see a new clip of the Speed Bag King effortlessly punch drumming! And check out his perfect ending!
        BAG ON!

Did alan edit it himself just by not making any mistakes? ahaha good vid sounds like you guys had a great time

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
          Did alan edit it himself just by not making any mistakes? ahaha good vid sounds like you guys had a great time
          Not that I remember...
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I'm always amazed at how solid that board is....
            Yeah, it is. I got 2 more os them waiting to picked up at Walmart! And being that the platform sits in a pretty hot truck all day, and the swivel is lubed up, it is faster than ever, especially with the Everlast black and yellow 4x6!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            Aweome as always Alan !! Hey Brian, is the Speedbag Truck gonna make it to Chicago in Oct?
            This is what I got as of now bro!
            Wed 28
            Thu 29 CHICAGO, IL - House Of Blues
            Fri 30 GRAND ISLAND, NE - Heartland Events Center
            Sat 31 Halloween

Will get you more details about arrival time, if the truck will bether and all that jazz, soon.

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            Exactly, he is editing out any mistakes in his head and they never see the bag! After all his hours under the board, studying filming and making the DVD, it is very rare to see a mis-hit....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
              ..Exactly, he is editing out any mistakes in his head and they never see the bag! After all his hours under the board, studying filming and making the DVD, it is very rare to see a mis-hit....
              There are PLENTY of mis-hits on the cutting room floor. I crash and burn on songs all the time, but most of the time you just keep on punching, like dropping a stick. I could post an "outakes" video, with the bag flying off, the bike falling over (with me on it...), the CD player falling over and getting conked in the nose. I'd have to dig up a bunch of those scenes logged into the 40 or so S-VHS videotapes I have full of punching.

I got it big time a couple of days ago and the bag took the skin off the tip of my nose. Showed up clearly on camera. BLAM, right in the snoz...
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• deano
                Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

smooth

super smooth Alan,you made it look like you were still in first gear with plenty up your sleeve,more vids please,deano

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by deano View Post
                  super smooth Alan,you made it look like you were still in first gear with plenty up your sleeve,more vids please,deano
                  That's actually the first time I've ever punched to that song, which I believe is "the final countdown". A cool song for the speed bag. I'd say it's about mid speed, not too challenging speed wise when using Syncopated Combinations as I'm doing here. on this song it you can use "Basic Rhythm" (straight time) punching going very slow, or jump the Basic Rhythm to double time, which would be much for physically challenging.

I see Punch Drumming, (for teaching purposes) as two styles, or methods of hitting the bag too music. Both styles will match the bag beat to the song, but depending on the song, you will have to speed up or slow down to jump between the styles. Usually the melody and beat pattern of the song will determine which style I use, and I often jump from one to the other to vary the workout or add some creative variety. I don't really think about it when I punch for fun myself, but I normally separate it during presentations for teaching. It makes it easier to understand exactly what I'm doing, (or what the bag beat is doing..) Explaining the bag beats is harder in words, but easy to understand when you see and hear it with explanations.

I teach it more from a "speed bag punching" point of view, but I imagine SSP will start teaching and explaining it more from a music drum rhythm, musician standpoint. As a professional percussionist I think he interprets the bag rhythms a bit differently, more percussionistic (if that's a word ) than I do. I think he takes the "beat" a bit deeper than I do also, and his punch drumming to music shows a unique interpretation of bag beat that I "hear" when he does it, but I probably wouldn't punch to that way myself.

It's gonna be fun watching and hearing all the new ways to express the bag beat as more punch drummers develop!
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    There are PLENTY of mis-hits on the cutting room floor. I crash and burn on songs all the time, but most of the time you just keep on punching, like dropping a stick. I could post an "outakes" video, with the bag flying off, the bike falling over (with me on it...), the CD player falling over and getting conked in the nose. I'd have to dig up a bunch of those scenes logged into the 40 or so S-VHS videotapes I have full of punching.

I got it big time a couple of days ago and the bag took the skin off the tip of my nose. Showed up clearly on camera. BLAM, right in the snoz...
                    you just gotta post those!!
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Baggist
                      Vert Baggin' Master
                      • May 2009

el maestro!!!

Comment

• bigpete405
                        • Oct 2009

thats so crazy. your the man

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

SSP, you just got to stop posting these video's of you people in the US meeting up in the speed bag truck. Your making us UK fellas jealous!

looks like you guys are having fun again. Great skills AK, as always.

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                            SSP, you just got to stop posting these video's of you people in the US meeting up in the speed bag truck. Your making us UK fellas jealous!\
                            I heard a rumor that the truck is swinging by Orlando, FL again this week

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                              SSP, you just got to stop posting these video's of you people in the US meeting up in the speed bag truck. Your making us UK fellas jealous!

looks like you guys are having fun again. Great skills AK, as always.
                              I don't know what happened. I replied to your post on Friday saying something to the effect of, "Well UK, I don't what to say because Scissorhands is coming up to the show tonight!".... I had a bad internet connection in my hotel room so it would freeze a lot and sometimes take 10 minutes to send an email!
                              I think I forgot to see this "frozen post" through...

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              I heard a rumor that the truck is swinging by Orlando, FL again this week
                              Yes Tim, you and Skunk got my epic email last night. To anyone reading....I am trying to get some "Tri-bagging" happening in the Speed Bag Truck on Wednesday with Tim and Skunk. And I do mean 3 boards at once! If it happens with Skunk running the show, it is gonna be sick!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...