• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

The Baggist: Manic Bagification!

The Baggist put this wizard clip on youtube....
    It's great! Listen closely.... outside of his one mis-hit in the middle, he is punch drumming right in time with Hendrix's "Manic Depression!"
    And those combinations are scary! He is doing so many advanced punches and combos it is hard to tell at first that it is with the music, but it is! He doeesn't really hit any basic FCP's to get your ear locked in to the beat. And this particular song has a unique and kind of strange pattern on the drums, making it even more difficult to hear him punch drumming in time. If the music was louder, I think it would be clearer to see and hear..
    And it's a real unique angel to watch from!
    Great job bro! I had to throw this up after I checked out your page!
    BAG ON!

• Jordan
    • Jun 2009

very nice....yeah I noticed there was hardly any FCP or FSP in the whole thing...crazy

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Yeah, he is throwing some amazingly intricate inward elbow moves. I really love the continous Front Circle Punch (FCP) to Inward-Single Elbow (I-SES) comination at :06 - :07sec (Left FCP) ' (Right I-SES) ' (Left FCP) ' (Right I-SES) and again at :22sec. Now that's a combo I have NEVER seen before.

Also, note the Repetive Side Single Punches (Right-SSP) ' (Right-SSP) combo at :014sec and a few later in the clip.

Great display of advanced combinations from all around the bag, particularly with elbows, double bumps, shadow triples.....

And yes, he did virtually all of it in perfect beat to that Hendrix Song.

Sheeesh.. Where did this guy come from!!!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

And the The Baggist makes it look so effortless. Very,very smooth.

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

I think if I relax and feel the music a little more it might groove a little better. In this clip I just feel like I lost it and just started tryin to pull off moves. Once again THANKS for the words of encouragement guys!!!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Dang Baggist! I just watched this again! It is wizard! Your jammin' up a storm with all those combos! And the psychedelics in the background are a great vibe! Plus a great view of the board/bag!
            Please post some more with the tunes louder!
            BAG ON!

Comment

• deano
              Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

you got the lot

it doesnt get any better than that,THE BAGGIST is a real dark horse,top shelf stuff.keep punching,deano

Comment

• The Baggist
                Vert Baggin' Master
                • May 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                Dang Baggist! I just watched this again! It is wizard! Your jammin' up a storm with all those combos! And the psychedelics in the background are a great vibe! Plus a great view of the board/bag!
                Please post some more with the tunes louder!
                BAG ON!
                MANY THANKS BRIAN!!! I hope to get a full song up soon, I don't know how Alan, yourself, and the other great punch drummers get through full songs nearly flawless man. Until then Here's a short clip practicing to Lowell Fulson's song "Tramp".

Originally posted by deano View Post
                it doesnt get any better than that,THE BAGGIST is a real dark horse,top shelf stuff.keep punching,deano
                THANKS DEANO!!!! My jaw still drops when I see your mindbending, blazing combos on your vid. I'm sure everyone one love to see more from you man!!!!!

Comment

• RenoRattler
                  • Sep 2009

Man, those are some impressive moves....Love the music choices as well! Good stuff!

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Very, very nice, Baggist. Love the under board view on the TV.

C'mon B-man, post up the whole song. You are groovin.

Comment

• The Baggist
                      Vert Baggin' Master
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                      Man, those are some impressive moves....Love the music choices as well! Good stuff!
                      THANKS RATTLER!!! Hope to see more from you soon!!!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                      Very, very nice, Baggist. Love the under board view on the TV.

C'mon B-man, post up the whole song. You are groovin.
                      THANKS as always BIFF!!! I know I should post the whole song (screw ups and all) so hopefully the next one will be complete.......

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Baggist! Wizard! Great song to bag to. You are so close to being right on the beat with all those crazy combos!
                        Here and there you are ahead or behind but very close.
                        May I suggest: repeating one type of punch or combo and seeing of you can hear the rebounds sync up with the song's rhythms. Start with some of the basics and then, here and there put in your combos. You are already ahead of the game by being able to punch all those advanced combos in time with each other! You are very smooth.
                        But once you can actually see your punches line up with rhythms in the song you will be able to comfortably go to the next level!
                        Very fun to watch as always!
                        BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Baggist! Wizard! Great song to bag to. You are so close to being right on the beat with all those crazy combos!
                          May I suggest: repeating one type of punch or combo and seeing of you can hear the rebounds sync up with the song's rhythms. Start with some of the basics and then, here and there put in your combos. You are already ahead of the game by being able to punch all those advanced combos in time with each other! You are very smooth.
                          But once you can actually see your punches line up with rhythms in the song you will be able to comfortably go to the next level!
                          BAG ON!
                          I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds like Baggist "hears" the 5-1 combo, but doesn't hold it for a few measures to really feel the sync. Obviously he has the Fist Rolls and Double Punch sounds down, but holding a repetitive bag beat for a few measures really does emphasize the bag being lock in on the song. It's not necessary to constantly change and mix advanced combo's to the song.

...then again, a lot of mid-speed "funk & jazz" of the 1970's and early 80's is extremely syncopated music with a lot of opportunity for double and triple beat combo's.

Try these;

We came to play

I got to groove

Soul with a capital S

Cut the Cake-AWB

Some Skunk Funk (* better bring your "A" game and 6x4 on this one.....smokin' in syncopated speed bag combo's)

Bustin Loose (* one of my personal favorites - Gimme the Bridge now...)

Sax a Go Go

2 Funky (sax)

Bob's Jazz

Pick up the Pieces

Yeah, I'm partial to Brass and Saxophones. They are really easy to hear above the bag. I've hit to most of these, especially Candy Dulfers stuff, for years and years. It's just makes me want to punch. Another song I really like for smooth baggin is a little known piece called Noyana which features a voice choir behind, from the album Rhythm of the Pridelands.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
                            Vert Baggin' Master
                            • May 2009

BAG ON!
                            Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds like Baggist "hears" the 5-1 combo, but doesn't hold it for a few measures to really feel the sync. Obviously he has the Fist Rolls and Double Punch sounds down, but holding a repetitive bag beat for a few measures really does emphasize the bag being lock in on the song. It's not necessary to constantly change and mix advanced combo's to the song.

...then again, a lot of mid-speed "funk & jazz" of the 1970's and early 80's is extremely syncopated music with a lot of opportunity for double and triple beat combo's.

Try these;

We came to play

I got to groove

Soul with a capital S

Cut the Cake-AWB

Some Skunk Funk (* better bring your "A" game and 6x4 on this one.....smokin' in syncopated speed bag combo's)

Bustin Loose (* one of my personal favorites - Gimme the Bridge now...)

Sax a Go Go

2 Funky (sax)

Bob's Jazz

Pick up the Pieces

Yeah, I'm partial to Brass and Saxophones. They are really easy to hear above the bag. I've hit to most of these, especially Candy Dulfers stuff, for years and years. It's just makes me want to punch. Another song I really like for smooth baggin is a little known piece called Noyana which features a voice choir behind, from the album Rhythm of the Pridelands.
                            THANKS ALAN AND BRIAN!!!! Yeah I know what you guys mean. It's kinda like if it were drums, you wouldn't play a SOLO through a whole song. It might be cool for a bit but after a while it would just ruin the song. So your sayin use the basics to groove and combos here and there as tasty fills, and when its on you can see it and hear it!!! I will definitely put this advice into action especially since it coming from two of the BEST in the business!!!!
                            GREAT song list Alan!!! I will be trying these out for shure and would love to see a new funky vid from you!!!!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Oh no.... just wait....Baggist is gonna come out and tear us all apart with focused insanity, controlled chaos and a blistering, bagging, beat down, bonanza-style brou ha-ha!!

Hahaha.....

Controlled Chaos: The first words that came to mind last year when I saw what was possible on the speed bag! And....what I love about Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden, and Meshuggah!!!!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...