*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

cool video thx for sharing. i passed it along to my sister who boxes.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Cool a physics lesson wrapped in an entertaining video. I noticed she threw a hook where as the two guys seemed to be throwing more a straight right. I feel like I can hit with a lot more force with a hook myself.

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Cool video, thanks Alan!
        sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Cool a physics lesson wrapped in an entertaining video. I noticed she threw a hook where as the two guys seemed to be throwing more a straight right. I feel like I can hit with a lot more force with a hook myself.
          I notice that too. She also took a bit of a wind up rather than throw it straight from the hip pivot. I wish they would have given each fighter :30seconds to circle the bag, punching from their normal fighting stance, and average the punches. I certainly would not want to be hit by her, but my sense is her power will not equal the males over a length of time. Of course, they weren't measuring an "average punching power" or "sustained power", - just a single punch force.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

From what I've seen of her, she does a lot of damage early on in a bout, to the point that many in her weight class have been avoiding her (there was a lot of controversy about this concerning Christy Martin as I recall). From what I know,( and I may be mistaken) she's never had to go the distance.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              From what I've seen of her, she does a lot of damage early on in a bout, to the point that many in her weight class have been avoiding her (there was a lot of controversy about this concerning Christy Martin as I recall). From what I know,( and I may be mistaken) she's never had to go the distance.
              According to the "Bio/info" on her site she has gone the distance a couple of times. ( 7 & 10 rounds). But she is a vicious puncher during the opening rounds from what I've seen.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

I stand corrected. I definitely wouldn't want to piss her off that's for sure.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I agree Tim. But why didn't the guys throw a more powerfully set up punch?
                  I thought the whole thing was to hit with max force? She has great technique.

Comment

• atgatt
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Since I've come up with my robotic punching arms, I've been studying punches and reaction times. For any boxer, pro or novice, the hook is the fastest punch. For the average male in their prime, they have a hook of 23 mph. She had a hook of 36 mph and she really knows how to put her body in the max position to use it. The guy threw more of a "right cross" ,only with his left hand, and the average cross is about 14 mph, so the guy used the wrong punch for max power. I wished they would have dictated the punch thrown or used a variety of punches. Oh well.

Notice too that their power punches cover a long distance. They're only good after a jab connected to distract the reaction time of the longer punch, otherwise those long punches would never make it to the opponent because they would be easily blocked or dodged because of the time it took to get there. An average jab is about 9 mph. Not as much power as the longer punches but they give the opponent the shortest reaction time to react, especially the ones that don't telegraph that the punch is coming. People telegraph by slightly moving their punch head back just before throwing it, or flinching, or giving something away that warns.

My robotic arms throw punches at the medium to higher speeds that leave less than 1 tenth of a second to react. A trained athlete can focus and get their reaction times faster than average, but the best average reaction time is a male about 20 years old, and their time is a tenth and a half of a second. A female the same age is best at 2 tenths of a second. Males are normally faster throughout all the ages.

Thanks Speedbag for the video. If you know of others, please post them.

Comment

• fingers
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • May 2008

Strange!! i always thought the straight right was a boxers most powerful punch!
                      although the left hook probably accounted for more knockouts.

Comment

• Kyle
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                        Thanks Speedbag for the video. If you know of others, please post them.
                        agreed ive seen a few of the sports science shows and have loved them all

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

A number of different martial artists attempts to punch a well-designed punching robot with their different fighting styleeg - taekwando, boxing, muay thai a...

After all is said and done, good ol' boxing is hard to beat.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...