X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndd077
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2010

I just signed up for this forum and am enjoying it. I bought a heavy bag about three years ago and never used it, im trying to get back into it and have a few questions and figured i could just combine them all into one.
    Im 5'8 160 pounds, and have a little 60lb heavy bag. First of all i work out every day for a half hour of a lot of punching. combos. and some kicking. and some knees i usually tie the bag down for the first 15 and untie it the second half, mixed in with little stretching breaks throughout usually when i get a little out of breath. I just take a 20 second stretch or so. Should i be working out everyday? or rest? and does that sound like a decent routine? Sometimes i catch the bag wrong and HURT my wrists. i want to streghthen my wrists with something very simple and quick routine. Any Ideas?. And should this workout burn up fat on thights, chest, stomach? and give me a 6 pack and tones body? along with a (healthy diet). Thanks
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ndd077 View Post
    I just signed up for this forum and am enjoying it. I bought a heavy bag about three years ago and never used it, im trying to get back into it and have a few questions and figured i could just combine them all into one.
    Im 5'8 160 pounds, and have a little 60lb heavy bag. First of all i work out every day for a half hour of a lot of punching. combos. and some kicking. and some knees i usually tie the bag down for the first 15 and untie it the second half, mixed in with little stretching breaks throughout usually when i get a little out of breath. I just take a 20 second stretch or so. Should i be working out everyday? or rest?
    Personally, I think 3 times a week is enough, especially considering your goals - i.e. to tone up. A competitive fighter would workout 6 times a week, but they only do that for a short amount of time to get ready for a fight. 3 times per week is usually sustainable over the long term and would give your body adequate time to rest. Anything more than that and you will either get burned out, bored, or overtrained, in my opinion.
    and does that sound like a decent routine? Sometimes i catch the bag wrong and HURT my wrists. i want to streghthen my wrists with something very simple and quick routine. Any Ideas?.
    This should not be happening. Are you using BOTH hand wraps and bag gloves? Wrap your hands in such a way as to give wrist support, try searching the web for the proper technique.

And should this workout burn up fat on thights, chest, stomach? and give me a 6 pack and tones body? along with a (healthy diet). Thanks
    Along with a healthy diet probably yes. The key to toning is always diet.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I agree with Tim, IMHO. Going to a popular boxing gym in the area and seeing what some serious boxers do, makes me realize how hard they workout. I think they only take one day off a week. Evidently, their bodies can take it and they are in great shape, but that's a LOT of time and effort to devote to something.

Like Tim said, get rest in between. Working out 3 or 4 times a week will get a person in to very good shape as is. Heck, none of us are going to live forever anyway.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
        I agree with Tim, IMHO. Going to a popular boxing gym in the area and seeing what some serious boxers do, makes me realize how hard they workout. I think they only take one day off a week. Evidently, their bodies can take it and they are in great shape, but that's a LOT of time and effort to devote to something.

Like Tim said, get rest in between. Working out 3 or 4 times a week will get a person in to very good shape as is. Heck, none of us are going to live forever anyway.

speak for yourself!

"there can be only one...."
        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-30-2010, 09:52 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          speak for yourself!

"there can be only one...."
          OK, I'll clarify; not in this life anyway, but in the next....

Never heard that song "Who wants to live forever" before. Quite a production for it but the song never could grab me.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...