• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joec
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2006

Everlast set

Hello,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if this particular topic has been covered. I recently purchased and installed an everlast speed bag in my garage. Here is a pic of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedbag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	92209

I attached the brackets directly into the cement wall. The first thing I noticed is that it is noisy as heck. My wife hears it from inside the house and says it's very loud. Is there something I can do to reduce the noise?

The other thing I noticed is that I have to really strike the bag hard to get it to bounce back. Could that be due to the bag that they provided? It's an everlast 4214 bag that was included in the kit. I was also wondering about just how much to inflate the bag. The bags at the gym are so much softer. I inflated that bag up quite a bit so that it would be more bouncy ... but maybe that is a mistake.

The set was purchased at sports authority. Here is a link

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe
    ________
    BMW R80
    Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM.
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

placing a couple of 25lbs sand bags on the top help a lot. doubling up the drum with 3/4" plywood helps as well. read the other posts in the other discussions. there is a lot of good info.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Everlast set

I agree that putting sandbags on top would help, as well as adding more wood to the rebound board - but I doubt that will stop the sound heard inside the house. For that I suggest adding some 2x4 vertical wall braces, and you might also put some rubber mat material or carpet pad between the wood and the cement wall to help cushion the vibration.

Then I'd suggest you get another bag. That 4214 isn't know for speed. I haven't seen one yet, or talked to someone that likes that bag.

I hope this helps you get your bag up and going.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

as far as your effort for hitting the bag is concerned; there are faster swivels out there to consider. the ball hook that is shown in your pic is an excellent swivel for advanced combos, so do not discard! but as far as rebound quickness, there are much faster swivels out there in my opinion. ringside's super swivel and mexican style swivel are known to be very quick and decently agile from changing direction of a hit. a cheaper alternative would be any "chainlink" version of a swivel. i would try "speedbag's" idea of a new bag first.

Comment

• joec
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2006

Wow, I really appreciate the fast and great suggestions. You guys rule.

Speedbag - what bag would you suggest for a newbee? I have a lot of boxing experience but never really learned the science of the sped bad.

Also, my wall is cement and the web link recommends horizontal wood runners (1x4) if I remember correctly. Which way should I go?

kevdawg - Thanks for the swivel suggestion. I have used speed bags before when I used to go to the boxing gym. They seemed so much smoother and faster. I never paid attention to the swivel or even the bag before ... too bad the place closed down. If my unit is still too slow after I change the bag and firm up the unit then I will purchase a new swivel.

Thanks again guys for the great advice.

Joe
          ________
          Suzuki GR650
          Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Welcome to the board joec!

I typed a huge long reply last night at about 10:00 from my pda and I hit a button and it was lost. That is REALLY frustrating!

Most of the points I wanted to make have already been covered but I do want to add that you need to make sure that every nut, bolt and screw is tight and that the unit is very securely mounted to the wall with no vibration. Another thing that has been suggested but I have never tried is to put nylon straps around the upper mount loop bars that the drum is attached to and making sure they are tight but not tight enough to bend anything.

The sandbag works wonders and I highly suggest it. You will notice a significant decrease in sound.

I also highly suggest you spend a little time looking over "Speedbag"'s website here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ Also, I learned an awful lot from his Speedbag Bible book and DVD's. Personally, I suggest getting the first DVD and watching it. I learned an unbelievable amount just by watching that. What I did was watch the DVD one part at a time. I would watch Alan explain how to do one or two punches, techniques, or combos, a couple of times, then I would immediately go work on them, heading back to watch it if I just wasn't getting it at all. I went through the entire DVD like this, and when I went on to the next punch, technique, or combo, I would start from the beginning. This worked quite well for me.

I later bought the book which covers everything on the DVD and then some. The book has written exercises that allow you to take it to the bag to work on combinations.

Again, welcome to the board and please don't be afraid to ask questions!

Chris

Comment

• joec
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2006

Thanks Chris.

Mounting against the cement seems to be problematic. I think I overtightened one of the bolts and it is loose. I am heading to home depot later today to see if there is some kind of cement anchor that I can use.

Also, how much should I inflate the bag. I see folks on the video using bare hands but when I tried using my bare hand on my bad my knuckles got chewed up.

Joe
              ________
              vaporizers
              Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by joec View Post
                Thanks Chris.

Mounting against the cement seems to be problematic. I think I overtightened one of the bolts and it is loose. I am heading to home depot later today to see if there is some kind of cement anchor that I can use.

Also, how much should I inflate the bag. I see folks on the video using bare hands but when I tried using my bare hand on my bad my knuckles got chewed up.

Joe
                I have mounted several speedbags against bricks/cement and it's not problematic. I currently have both my indoor and outdoor units mounted into solid brick walls with no backing board and they work great. Some here on the board have reported problems with overtightening, but I torque them down as tight as I can (Just be sure to not snap them off, that's a bitch!) and I've never had a problem at all. Get the biggest diameter tapcon you can find, which may result in having to enlarge the holes on your speed bag set up. You must use the proper size drill bit with the tapcon screws though, look on the package where it tells you what size of masonry bit to use. I used the longest tapcons I can find. Also, make sure you're putting the screws into solid cement and not cinder blocks.

If you have one bolt or screw loose, you likely have others. Even one will cause a hell of a racket and kill your rebound.

As far as bag inflation, I think speedbag said it best when he said to inflate the bag until there are no more wrinkles and then add a few more pumps. IT should be fairly soft on the knuckles and shouldn't be hurting your hands when you hit it. Overinflation was one of my mistakes when I was starting off too. You should be able to push in the bag slightly with both thumbs when it's inflated correctly. You just kind of have to get a feel for it. Personally, I inflate mine until I get the correct rebound that I'm looking for, but I prefer my bags on the softer side.

I kind of found out by accident one day when I was in the habit of overinflating. My bag had lost some air and when I went back to hit it, it was much softer and I really liked it because it didn't hurt my hands. Ever since I've kept my bags so they feel soft when I hit them.
                Last edited by Chris M; 12-28-2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Also, see the discussion we had here where we covered the same issues: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=169

He had the same issues with the same set up that you have.

Chris

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

I know you asked speedbag, but I'll offer my advice too.

Speedbag - what bag would you suggest for a newbee? I have a lot of boxing experience but never really learned the science of the sped bad.
                    I prefer the Everlast bags myself. I like being able to choose colors. For what it's worth, I like the Everlast pro bags the best:

Others here prefer Title bags, and I have a few of them, they're good quality, I just like Everlast better:

http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html That being said, I have their giant 10x12 bag and it's a monster. It's very heavy and I love to wail on that bag!

If you're just starting out, I would recommend going to an Everlast 11x8 leather bag. I started off using the vinyl bag that came with the Everlast set and it was a bit small for just starting off. When I got my Everlast 11x8, it was much easier on the hands because it was leather and it was slower which allowed me to work on hitting my punches and combinations slower. I still use this bag all the time because I like the weight of it. It's also nice to have the ability to hit the bag faster than it can go, it's a great confidence booster.

Some here don't like the larger bags at all because you can't get the speed out of them. I like speed too, but sometimes I want to be able to hit longer than I can with the smaller bags. Hey, I'm older (44) than you studs too. I know Alan is older than me and he'll probably laugh at that statement but after several years of not doing any physical fitness and getting back into it just two years ago is not easy at all.

My only advice is to not neglect your bodies and decide you want to get back into shape at 44. I'm in better shape than most 10 or 15 years younger than I, but I want to be in the shape I was when I was in my late 20's and early 30's. Boxing fitness routines are getting me there slowly, but at least I'm progressing and not regressing!

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

bags

Wow, I really appreciate the fast and great suggestions. You guys rule.

Joe......
                      I agree with Chris on the speed bag choice. Right now I'm using Title bags for general use, although I'm not hitting much at the moment. But I have a few "old school" custom made ringside models that I really like and save for traveling demo's.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• joec
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Dec 2006

What is a good size to start with. The everlast 4214 that came with the set is 10 by 7. I feel like I have to wail on that bag to get it to rebound back quickly.

Thanks, Joe
                        ________
                        iolite portable vaporizer
                        Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                          • Oct 2006

i think a 10x7 will be a good size to start with, maybe just a different bag though. try everlasts vinyl bag. its cheap and easy to find. i used it when i began and it worked well for a few months. it has a good rebound and its easy on your hands.

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

What is a good size to start with. The everlast 4214 that came with the set is 10 by 7. I feel like I have to wail on that bag to get it to rebound back quickly.

Thanks, Joe
                            I don't know if you saw my reply above or not. But as a self-described noob, you need to worry more about control than speed. You'll just end up frustrating yourself if you try to hit fast right off the bat. Start off with a larger bag and learning consistency and speed will quickly come. You'll never be able to hit fast for very long if you don't learn the basics at a slower pace.

That being said, once you're good with a larger bag, and you really want speed, you can move to a 6x9 or 5x8. These bags are very fast and priced very economically:

Honestly though, these bags won't be of any use to you until you can master the larger bags. I wouldn't start any smaller than a 10x7.

I still believe that if the bag you have now isn't working right, you've got a problem with your set up.

Comment

• joec
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2006

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. It turns out that my garage wall is made up of cinder block. Using tapcons does not work because the vibration eventually causes it to loosen up. After a few trips to Lowes here is my new setup.

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	87078

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	87079

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	87080

Using concrete lags and anchors I first connected 3 horizonal 1 by 4's to the wall. I found a nice 1/4 rubber material that I put in between the wall and the 1 by 4's. I then ran 2 more 1 by 4's vertically. I also added another 3/4 inches of wood to the part that the bag hits against.

It now works absolutely great. I also bought 50lbs of sand but found that I did not need it.

I also included a pic of me standing next to the bag. I am looking for some feedback on the actual height that I have it set at.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I will be posting a video of me hitting the bag next.

Joe
                              ________
                              silver surfer review
                              Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...