• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

Hello everyone... my setup

Hello everyone,

I am new here, although I have been reading for the past month. I am just someone trying to get back into shape... and the speedbag has always been fasinating to me. I play racquetball, I run 5k's, I swim, and do general cardio workouts.

Recently I got a treadmill at home - and I am working on building my home gym. I have a great back room in my basement which I am putting down some parquet floor. I plan to have the treadmill in there, some light weight training, an elliptical.... etc

Right now I have an Everlast $50.00 speedbag set with the vinyl bag. I just picked up an Everlast 10x7 leather bag (4214) as well.... I have gotten pretty good at hitting both these bags... and I am working on the different techniques now. I want to get my speed up a little so I may be going to a 9x6 bag or an 8x5 bag soon... I have my eye on the Rival bags or the Title bags. The Everlast bag seems to be thick skinned and I think it slows down the bounce.... so I would like to try something a bit faster so I can get a good rythmic sound going.
    My board and mounting seems to be pretty good....not too much noise or vibation...so no issues there I may look for a smoother swival in the future.

I also want to put in a heavy bag - I have no boxing experience - but I do enjoy hitting the heavy bag at the gym and feels like a great workout -
    any tips on a heavy bag, workout ideas, 3 minute rounds etc... sounds like fun...what size bag to start with - water bag.... ?

I have enjoyed reading the board.... keep up the good work everyone ! nad happy new year!
    Last edited by jaguiler; 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Heavybag workouts

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
    Hello everyone, .....any tips on a heavy bag, workout ideas, 3 minute rounds etc... sounds like fun...what size bag to start with - water bag.... ?

I have enjoyed reading the board.... keep up the good work everyone ! and happy new year!
    For Heavybag training ideas, Try these links:

Heavy Bag Hitting;The Ultimate De-Stressor

Intensifying the heavybag workout

Heavy bag training

Heavy bag training clip samples

How to use the heavybag

Heavy Bag Training for Fun, Fitness and Fighting

These ought to get you going. Good luck and train safely.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I also want to put in a heavy bag - I have no boxing experience - but I do enjoy hitting the heavy bag at the gym and feels like a great workout -
      any tips on a heavy bag, workout ideas, 3 minute rounds etc... sounds like fun...what size bag to start with - water bag.... ?
      Love the heavy bag I hit to various round lengths - 3 minutes is standard but it's fun to switch it up and go all out for 30 seconds or 1 minute etc. It's easy to do with this awesome, free timer I created : http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html Perfect for the home gym. I'm actually typing this in my garage between rounds on the heavy bag right now

Practice the standard punches singly at first - Jab, straight right (right cross), left hook , right hook, uppercut. When you can do those punches correctly in singles start making combos , the 1-2 (jab-cross), 1-2-3 (jab-cross, lead hand hook), 1-2-3-4 (jab-cross-uppercut-hook) etc.

The standard advice you'll get on most web sites is to get a professional trainer of some sort, but if you're just messing around at home I'm of the opinion it doesn't hurt to do it yourself. I have 30 minutes 3 x a week to workout... I don't have time to commute to a gym, etc.

That being said I did get my initial training at a real boxing gym for about 18 months, but honestly the trainers sucked. I've made much more progress just by practicing, analyzing videos on the net and books (this is a great book: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11) That being said I have no intention of ever getting in the ring, this is the just the only form of cardio that doesn't bore me to death

Get a soft filled bag or a water bag or something easy on the hands. Those cheap everlast bags in the all the big chain stores are worthless, they are hard as a rock.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

And forgot to mention http://www.rossboxing.com is the best boxing web site on the internet, in my opinion.

For speedbag - read everything on http://www.speedbagcentral.com - that site is literally a gold mine of info. The videos under the multimedia section are a "must see".

Then get the speed bag bible DVD and/or book ... awesome stuff. Literally the most information packed anything I've ever purchased, an amazing bargain for the price

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Those cheap everlast bags in the all the big chain stores are worthless, they are hard as a rock.
          Amen to that.

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

hmm interesting about the cheap Everlast bags - I was headed in that direction - I want to avoid water bags as well.... I guess I should look for something with the padding on the outside... any suggestions ? a more expensive Everlast bag ? any model numbers suggested ? I weigh 200 lbs ? but I don't want to hang anything heavier than 70lbs on my I beam in my basement... any suggestions ?

oh and thanks for all the responses !

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

hmm interesting about the cheap Everlast bags - I was headed in that direction - I want to avoid water bags as well.... I guess I should look for something with the padding on the outside... any suggestions ? a more expensive Everlast bag ? any model numbers suggested ? I weigh 200 lbs ? but I don't want to hang anything heavier than 70lbs on my I beam in my basement... any suggestions ?

oh and thanks for all the responses !

I did a review of the Ringside bag I recently bought here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=225

As far as not wanting to hang more than 70 lbs in your basement, it shouldn't be a problem at all unless there are some kind of special circumstances. I had a 50 lb Century bag prior to this and it was too light, that thing was constantly swinging and I was spending as much time grabbing it than I was punching it. I know I could have gotten a bag underneath it to hold it in place, but this one was a piece of crap anyway.

I have this bag hanging from a joist in my 80 year old house with no real problems.

I'm sure the Title bag at the following page should suit you just fine as well: http://store.titleboxing.com/hbl.html

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...