• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgugliel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2007

Swivel

Hello, im just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice, i had a chain link swivel and just recently got one of the everlast plastic ones, i don't know if there just a bit stiff at first and get better after use but im just wondering what you think is the best swivel out on the market, im not pushed about how noisy it is but my only problem with the chain one was that it was getting a bit gammy from changing the bags, any info would be great, thanks
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

As you've seen, there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of swivel, particularly ones that are very different. The chain link swivel works very quietly, quickly, and smoothly in one plane.

The ball hook swivels (most on the board seem to prefer the metal Everlast ball hook swivels, but they are difficult to get any more because they've been discontinued) can change directions or planes without affecting the rebound and predictability, are noisier, and a very slight bit slower than the other types. They are the best for hitting from all directions of the bag as if you were hitting from the front or rear and then wanted to hit to the side with only one rebound in between hits.

There's nothing wrong with the plastic ball hook swivel, it works well. I suggest getting some lubrication on the ball and you'll probably notice an increase in speed. You should push the ball up into the swivel to apply your lube. I use graphite powder on my my swivels because it's not as messy.

Also, most of us have had problems with the hook coming unscrewed from the plastic ball on those types of swivels. I have used loctite to secure the hook, but others have used superglue, etc. and that works well but it's probably pretty permanent. I can't think of a reason to want to unscrew the hook from the ball, but it's nice to have that option when I use loctite.

Good luck, welcome to the board and let us know if you have any questions, I think you'll find a very helpful and friendly bunch here.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris M; 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Chris_M is right on the money. An Everlast Ball Hook of either type (metal or plastic) is best for our purposes.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

i personally like the ringside super swivel. its reactions are plenty fast, and it feels like you dont have to hit the bag as hard to get it going. the ball hooks are nice as well for hitting in different planes, but in my opinion, its rebounds are very slow. i will say this, i may be one of the only people on this site to choose a super swivel over a over a ball hook. to each, their own.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
          • Oct 2006

i forgot to mention the when it come to changing bags, those two swivels are the easiest when it comes to bag changes.

Comment

• saifullah21
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2006

co-sign what kevdawg said. I'm not sure which I like more because the ball and hook requires more precise strikes, which is fun to me, but it's louder and slower than the super swivel. The super swivel is super quiet but doesn't work as well when changing angles.

The super swivel is now on sale for only $20 on call-in orders. You must tell them the super-secret-illuminati-members-only code which is "YB."

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

The super swivel is now on sale for only $20 on call-in orders. You must tell them the super-secret-illuminati-members-only code which is "YB."
              Is that with Title?

I have one of these for my indoors unit and I do like it a lot also.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

YB Sounds like a ringside catalog code... 1-877-4BOXING

The super swivel PS-3 is this: http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24601

Also .. .that YB code may be expired.
                Last edited by Tim; 01-05-2007, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• saifullah21
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2006

just called ringside and was told the code is good until the 19th of jan.

Comment

• joec
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2006

Thanks for the tip on that ... that super swivel for $20 sounds like a good deal. I need to get a new speed bag. I was going to get the title 7 by 10 (sb7) but thought maybe I could save on shipping and get a bag from ringside. Can anyone recommend another decent speed bag that might be available from ringside.

Thanks, Joe
                    ________
                    GSX1100F
                    Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Ringside's Top Contender line are cheap and work just as well as the big $$$$ speed bags

At Ringside, we are serious about fight sports, especially boxing and MMA. We offer the best prices on boxing equipment in addition to videos, tutorials, and guides. Low-cost shipping guaranteed!

They're not very large though... the biggest is 6x9. Unfortunately, I can't say that I recommend any of the other brands they carry. They all have an odd shape and feel very heavy.

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by joec View Post
                        Thanks for the tip on that ... that super swivel for $20 sounds like a good deal. I need to get a new speed bag. I was going to get the title 7 by 10 (sb7) but thought maybe I could save on shipping and get a bag from ringside. Can anyone recommend another decent speed bag that might be available from ringside.

Thanks, Joe
                        Is there any chance that a new bladder might be able to fix your problem? http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25279

Comment

• joec
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2006

Thanks Chris. I did not even think of that. The bag is an Everlast 4214 so I need to check if there is a way to change the bladder.

Joe
                          ________
                          volcano vaporizers
                          Last edited by joec; 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• joec
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Dec 2006

OK, so now the million dollar question. I untied the black lace and see the bladder but have no idea how to take it out. The part where u put the air in on the bottom of the bag does not see easily removable.

Thanks, Joe
                            ________
                            AR50
                            Last edited by joec; 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Changing bladders

Originally posted by joec View Post
                              OK, so now the million dollar question. I untied the black lace and see the bladder but have no idea how to take it out. The part where u put the air in on the bottom of the bag does not see easily removable.

Thanks, Joe
                              The bottom part of the bladder is sometimes glued to the leather at the bottom of the bag. Depending on how hard it is stuck, You may have to turn the bag inside-out to remove it. There may also be a "locking slot" on the air pin (nozzle that goes through hole).

Put your hand into the open bag and see if you can pull it out. You may have to pull pretty hard. If it won't budge, I would suspect some glue was used and you need to peel the bag all the way down to expose the bottom.

I really hate messing with speed bag bladders. It's just so much easier to put up another bag - but not everyone can do that.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...