• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

What to do with an old speed bag?

Make it a double end bag!

I have a 4214 Everlast speed bag that I no longer use. It's too big and slow for use on my free standing bag platform. I think it causes excessive vibration due to the inertia of such a large bag.

So - I'm off from work and bored and thinking what can I do with this thing? The natural decision is to make it a double end bag

1. Deflate the bladder - The quickest way to do this is to unscrew the inflating needle from the pump and insert it into the bladder.

2. Unlace the top of the speed bag and pop the bladder out of the bottom of the bag. I had to use needle nose pliers to get this done and mangled the heck out of the bladder plug.

Here's the bladder:

So this is what we have, an empty speed bag, all we need is some way to attach the bottom bungee:

The hardest part is deciding what to use for the bottom connector. After much thought I decided a smaller bungee cord was the best solution at hand.

The bungee on the left too small, the one on the right looks beefy enough. To cut the speed bag I used a razor knife and stuck a wrench inside so as to not cut through both sides of the bag. I made a slit on the left and right of the Everlast label on the bottom.

Insert each end of the bungee into the slit and loop the hooks together. As an added precaution I used a hammer to bend the hooks over to ensure they stay put.

Cram the bladder back in and upside down.

Inflate the bladder about 75%. Unscrew the needle from the pump and leave it inserted into the bladder. Insert the tongue and lace up the laces, be sure to leave the end of the needle poking out. Finish pumping up the bladder and remove the needle, tie off the laces. You will probably have to overfill the bladder to get it to inflate the entire bag.

This air bladder probably won't see a long and useful life - due to the overinflation and the presence of the metal bungee ends inside the bag. If I can get 2 months out of this thing as is, I'd be pleased. This bag was destined for the trash can anyways

Here's the finished product hung on the bungees:

• Tim

• Jan 2006

And the verdict is?

It works! And it works quite well actually. It has a different rythm than the ball shaped DE bag it replaces.

Geez - do I always keep my left hand so low !?! Good thing I never actually get in the ring...

Here it is side by side with the Everlast 4222 DE Bag. They both weight about the same (.8 lbs). The tear drop shape gives the speed bag derived bag a different rythm though. It seems a little more unpredictable in that it can move differently based on how you hit it.

Last edited by Tim; 02-18-2006, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• speedboy
      • Feb 2006

graet idea and great job!

Comment

• Crapsterface
        • Nov 2009

good job. great idea. all iv don was throw them in the graveyard. kept them all though. lost 1 or to and revived some but I never thought of frankenstiening.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Great idea Tim. Make sure to put something around the bungee hook to protect your gloves or hands from tearing up.......If you miss.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Crapsterface View Post
            good job. great idea. all iv don was throw them in the graveyard. kept them all though. lost 1 or to and revived some but I never thought of frankenstiening.
            Thanks man, it was a way to kill some time, I've since bought a proper DEB.

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
            Great idea Tim. Make sure to put something around the bungee hook to protect your gloves or hands from tearing up.......If you miss.
            Yeah - those bag gloves have an exposed thumb and it smarts when you hit that bungee! I had big 16 oz full bag gloves I used with this thing.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...