• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamid100
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2010

Heavy bag

Hey guys, whats up?

I just started training w/the heavybag today and had a quick question. I have a standup wavemaster bag and wanted to know if it's possible to only wrap my hands when I'm working with it as opposed to wrapping and/or gloves?

Thanks in advance,
    Hamid
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

If you are hitting full power (or even half power) i recommend wraps and gloves. If you don't like the hassle of the wraps, try those Everlast gel wraps. I don't know that they could be considered the equivalent of real wraps, but it's better than nothing, and convenient.

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

With my Everlast free standing bag not being that hard or heavy, the Everlast gel wraps do just fine. Other heavy bags I've hit at gyms that are harder and heavier, the gel wraps are definitely not enough; heavy bag gloves were more comfortable then. All depends what you're hitting and how you are hitting it.

Comment

• hamid100
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        If you are hitting full power (or even half power) i recommend wraps and gloves. If you don't like the hassle of the wraps, try those Everlast gel wraps. I don't know that they could be considered the equivalent of real wraps, but it's better than nothing, and convenient.

I wrapped up my hands today and went at a decent pace without any pain or instability. The only thing I'm concerned about is long term damage. I'm not worried about possibly hitting it wrong and hurting myself, that I can live with. It's hurting yourself gradually that's the real danger. Is that possible, or better word, likely?

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by hamid100 View Post
          I wrapped up my hands today and went at a decent pace without any pain or instability. The only thing I'm concerned about is long term damage. I'm not worried about possibly hitting it wrong and hurting myself, that I can live with. It's hurting yourself gradually that's the real danger. Is that possible, or better word, likely?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I've been hitting off and on since 1998, but the key is "off and on". I don't hit the heavy bag that often. To be honest when it does hurt, it bothers my JOINTS the most (elbows and shoulders). My hands feel great.

Comment

• punchingbag
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2010

I have yet to have problems without wrapping my hands.

I know everyone says WRAP your wrists when punching the bag...

I find that a decent pair of bag gloves provides enough support to help you with that.

I just recommend you start out with half power and work your way up as you get used to hitting the punching bag with full power.

Afterall, when you are on the streets, you wont have the convienence of having your wrist wraps, so you need to get used to hitting without them.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...