• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

Heavy bag or Double end bag ?

Hi -

Just wondering - which will give me a better cardio workout ?

I will prob end up getting both - but I will pick up a double end bag this weekend - but I can;t wait so I was curious what you all think

thx !
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

I would think the heavy bag will facilitate a better cardio workout...the double end bag is more about precision and timing and not so much raw power, it's hard to work up a really good sweat on a little double-ender whereas a 3 min round on a heavy bag can leave you gasping for air....

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

I second the heavy bag opinion that BillyMack posted. I can absolutely wear myself out in 2 or 3 3-minute rounds on a heavy bag if I'm working it really hard. I can't do that on either a speed bag or a double end bag.

They're different types of workouts altogether. I'd highly recommend Title's Heavy Bag Instructional video: http://store.titleboxing.com/video-t...deos-vid1.html

I just work the 5 basic combinations that we work on in my boxing class. I do each combination on the list two or three times, and go down the list and start over when I'm done. I have the list posted in my basement near the bag in case I forget or get confused. You can see them in the picture here, you can see it between the pipe that's going diagonally on the back wall and my heavy bag and I refer to it a lot when working the heavy bag:

By the way, what I do for my quick home workout is set my timer for 3 minute rounds with a 1 minute break. I'll start on the speed bag for the first 3 minute round, then when the bell rings, I do 10 pushups and 10 or 15 crunches. The next round I'll go to the Double End bag, and do pushups and crunches again during the break. The third round, I'll go to the Heavy Bag and again pushups and crunches. Usually by the 6th round, I'm starting to get a good sweat going. I'll do 12 or 15 rounds this way and It's a pretty intense workout. Not the best, but at least I can get in a somewhat decent workout when I don't have boxing class or I don't have 2 hours to devote to the gym and all that.
      Last edited by Chris M; 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Better workout

Agree with Chris and BillyMack. I believe a hard heavybag workout will challenge the Cardiovascular system more than a similiar Double End Bag workout.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2007

cool I guess that settles it - now to find one that won't tear my hands and wrists up - shouldn't be too hard with the advice on this board !

thx!

Comment

• Hoodlum
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2007

Heavy bag or double end bag

Man I have a heavy bag in my garage and it is a good workout, but after a while it can get a little boring. The double end bag looks like a good workout and lots of fun because 2 reasons that there is a speedbag in my garage is because it is an excellent workout and because it is endless fun.

Comment

• jaguiler
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2007

I got the double end bag for my birthday - set it up last night - I love it ! can't wait to get home to start wailing on it somemore...

heavy bag next....

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...