X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe
    • May 2010

Need help with heavybag mount

I am looking for some input from you guys out there that have had some exp with the heavy bag. I am looking at ordering a 150lb water heavy bag from Ringside. I will be using it in my garage. My garage is just a one car setup with an exposed ceiling joists. I would estimate its 15 - 20ft high if I was to hang it from the ceiling.

I was considering buying one of teh metal wall mounts that they sell over at Title but I am cheap and have lumber and tools laying around the house.

Two questions...

1. Will hanging the bag with a whole lot of extra chain (to reach to the ceiling) cause any problems for me?

2. Those metal wall hangars for 16" on center studs don't appear super stocky or rugged. Do you think a few 6x6's mounted into a couple of 1x12's would do the trick? Has anyone built there own wall mounts out of some sturdy beams?

This is what I was having in mind. I have the materials... so it will cost me zilch.
    Think this will work?

sigpic
  • SpeedKilz
    • Dec 2009

You could be alright just hanging the bag from the rafters. Here is a Kenny Weldon video on the heavy bag. I think one bag was on a 8ft. chain and the other a 6ft. chain. They are much shorter than what you would be looking at but would give you an idea how much sway you may end up with which may be too much if it's a one car garage.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Your illustration looks like a great idea also. The angle of the bottom brace would obviously be very important. Also, with the weight of that heavy duty wood and a 150lb. bag hanging that far off the wall I'd hope the top of that wall wouldn't start to toe in over time. Maybe incorporate vertical braces from directly above the bag up into the rafters to help take some of the load? One nice thing about some of the heavy bag wall mounts is that some of them swing out of the way if you do need the space for other reasons and takes some of the pressure off the wall when you swing it back in.

Hope something in here helps you with your decision. I work at Title so if you need some specs on some hardware that may not be on the site or anything shoot me a message or call one of the Customer Service reps. I know they get calls about heavy bag hardware all the time.

Comment

• SpeedKilz
      • Dec 2009

As I walked away from the computer I just remembered that if you did mount your bag from the rafters and wasn't crazy about all the sway the bag had you could use a heavy bag anchor but you are going to have to make sure you have a double end heavy bag so you have that D-ring on the bottom to secure it to. Good luck!

Comment

• Joe
        • May 2010

Thanks so much for the reply. I really would find it the easiest if I hung it from the rafters but I was worried about too much sway. The garage area is quite small. Its a house that was built in the 40's and its just a one car garage (a small one at that). I was a bit worried that it might create too much sway if I hung it up there.

That video link you posted is great. (That guy is pretty cool) I'll have to go outside and look at how much area I really have to play with.

I am actually ordering all my other stuff from Title. I was going to get the 150lb (Tsunami Water) bag from Ringside but was also looking at the 140 or 160lb Liquishock Water bag from Title. I am not sure as I have never used one if because they absorb more shock if they sway less or not. I have also been able to find surprisingly little for reviews on the Tsunami or the Liquishock Water or Liquishock Water and Foam bags. I do see they make a 180lb bag... wow.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and just get one of these: http://store.titleboxing.com/hbhdw.html ...I was just hoping to save 70bucks by doing it myself. I sure wish I had some metal fabrication and welding skills cause I would be stylin.

My current shopping cart at the Title website. I plan to make my own speedbag platform and from what I have read on these forums the bag and swivel should serve me fine as a novice bagger (Yes?)

Last edited by Joe; 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• SpeedKilz
          • Dec 2009

Finding reviews on those 2 water bags is probably difficult because they both came out somewhat recently (I think the holiday season). If you want to spring the extra $$$ I'd go for a foam and water over just water but that is totally up to you. As far as what's in your cart...its not far off from what's in my garage. I have the gel bag gloves, double end bag kit and platinum swivel. I currently have a Rival double end bag but wish I had that Fighting Sports one after I saw it set up in our store. You won't be disappointed. Swivels are mostly preference and what your goals are. Most people on this site use a ball hook where some use the u-bolt - it all depends on what you like and how tricky you plan on getting on the bag. A couple people recently switched over from the u-bolt to the ball hook - Fingers and maybe Ms. Deville come to mind?

Comment

• Joe
            • May 2010

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
            Finding reviews on those 2 water bags is probably difficult because they both came out somewhat recently (I think the holiday season). If you want to spring the extra $$$ I'd go for a foam and water over just water but that is totally up to you.
            Is there a big difference in the feel of the two.

Also thanks for the input on the DE bag... that seals the deal for me.
            sigpic

Comment

• SpeedKilz
              • Dec 2009

I think so. I have this heavy bag:

It has a 2" layer of poly foam that is a lot better feel than a traditional heavy bag. It feels like more like you are hitting a body than a wall. I'd assume its going to be a similar difference with the water bags with and without foam.

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                • Dec 2009

By the way...the Liqui-shock bags come with a 10 year warranty on the bladder.

Comment

• crapshoot
                  • Apr 2010

I was just thinking, instead of the heavy lumber and possible issues with the wall, hang the bag from the ceiling joists. Use a upside down pyramid configuration with 4 chains hooked up to the top ring/carabiner at the top of the bag. 2 chains about 4ft. apart on one joist and 2 more, again 4ft. apart, about 3 joists over. That should give you a 16 sq.ft. ceiling (?) print and spread the load considerably. That would be, even at 200 lbs., 50/per chain and 100/joist.

Just a thought.

Comment

• Joe
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                    I was just thinking, instead of the heavy lumber and possible issues with the wall, hang the bag from the ceiling joists. Use a upside down pyramid configuration with 4 chains hooked up to the top ring/carabiner at the top of the bag. 2 chains about 4ft. apart on one joist and 2 more, again 4ft. apart, about 3 joists over. That should give you a 16 sq.ft. ceiling (?) print and spread the load considerably. That would be, even at 200 lbs., 50/per chain and 100/joist.

Just a thought.

That is a GREAT idea... and easy... and inexpensive. I probably should have thought about that. That is what I am going to do.

Thanks!
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...