• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jason_m_amy
    • Jan 2007

Adjustable platform - which is better?

I'm looking to buy an adjustable platform, of these, which one is better:

or

I have read all the threads regarding the iBox one, so it sounds very good, but before I shell out the cash, would like to know if the other one is good also (looks easier to adjust). My girlfriend wants to try hitting the bag, and she's almost a foot shorter than me, so a platform could be tricky and dangerous! Also if you know of any other adjustable ones that are as good or better, please let me know.

Thanks, Jason
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jason_m_amy View Post
    I'm looking to buy an adjustable platform, of these, which one is better:

or

http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/catalog2.cgi?action=page&page=gear|i-box%20series|ms0433

I have read all the threads regarding the iBox one, so it sounds very good, but before I shell out the cash, would like to know if the other one is good also (looks easier to adjust). My girlfriend wants to try hitting the bag, and she's almost a foot shorter than me, so a platform could be tricky and dangerous! Also if you know of any other adjustable ones that are as good or better, please let me know.

Thanks, Jason
    I can't comment on the adjustability of the first one you linked, but I can tell you the Ibox, while not the easiest to adjust, it is very stable and quiet once adjusted. There are four knobs that have to be turned to lock down the unit.

From my experience, the ones that have the poles that the platform rides up and down on, they are somewhat noisy when being used unless they have lock down knobs. I have this unit as my outdoor unit: http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL_Ultim....ASPX?ID=24887 which is a somewhat similar design in that they both have slightly larger tubes that ride on smaller poles. In the case of the Ringside Ultimate classic, it doesn't have anything to lock it in place to keep the tubes from rattling on the poles. It doesn't move up and down because the threaded rod has to be moved with the crank to adjust it. A sandbag eliminated the problem of the noise from banging back and forth.

Honestly, even in the case of the one you linked, you still have to loosen a couple of knobs and move it to the desired position and then lock it down. Some of them have pre-drilled holes that a pin slides into and then you lock it in place with some knobs. That may limit some adjustability if you prefer a setting that happens to be right between two of the pre-drilled holes.

What I did with my Ibox indoors unit was set the platform at my preferred height and then make index marks for the size bag I'm using. That makes it very quick and easy for me to adjust the platform for when I want to switch bag sizes. See attached photo for what I'm talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	87089

The unit you linked from Amazon looks like a really nice unit. I especially like the thickness of the board although the diameter is a little on the small side for my liking. Just be aware that you probably won't be able to use any bags larger than about 8x11. However, I think I'm one of the few on the forum that likes hitting the monster 10x12 bag occasionally.

I don't think you'd be dissatisfied with either unit, but I can speak to the quality and outstanding service from Balasz.

I personally prefer a very sturdy platform with very little or no movement because it gives you the best consistent rebound and makes it much quieter as well.
    Last edited by Chris M; 02-03-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

oops, double post sorry.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

structurally, the one on top makes more sense as opposed to the ibox for one reason, leverage. the ibox takes less pressure towards the end to the board to move up and down, which is not something you look for in a speedbag platform. i have hit both and i prefer the one from amazon more. the ibox is nice because its compact. they are both good units and with either one, i would still put sandbags on the top.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
          structurally, the one on top makes more sense as opposed to the ibox for one reason, leverage. the ibox takes less pressure towards the end to the board to move up and down, which is not something you look for in a speedbag platform. i have hit both and i prefer the one from amazon more. the ibox is nice because its compact. they are both good units and with either one, i would still put sandbags on the top.
          the ibox takes less pressure towards the end to the board to move up and down, which is not something you look for in a speedbag platform.

Can you clarify that?

I think I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure. With my sandbag on top I do have to push the outer edge of the drum up in order to relieve the weight off the unit in order to adjust it up or down but it's still a heck of a lot easier than it was with my old Everlast unit and it is significantly stronger and sturdier.
          Last edited by Chris M; 02-03-2007, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
            • Oct 2006

im talking about structure, not the adjustability. while the ibox is far superior than "most" platforms out there, i find that it will still move up and down in the front a little(while hitting). the other platform shown in the link may have a tendency to rattle a bit, however, it doesnt move as much in the front. to me, i would rather have a system that doesnt move period(hard to accomplish with any platform) and in my opinion, the other platform does a better job. then again, you cant go wrong with either one. they are both great units. i know that you(chris m) have both versions of the platforms at hand, so you may know better than i.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
              im talking about structure, not the adjustability. while the ibox is far superior than "most" platforms out there, i find that it will still move up and down in the front a little(while hitting). the other platform shown in the link may have a tendency to rattle a bit, however, it doesnt move as much in the front. to me, i would rather have a system that doesnt move period(hard to accomplish with any platform) and in my opinion, the other platform does a better job. then again, you cant go wrong with either one. they are both great units. i know that you(chris m) have both versions of the platforms at hand, so you may know better than i.
              Okay, I think I know what you mean. It is true that the Ibox has shorter support arms for the drum which would probably contribute to flexing on the end of the drum. I think most of the flex or vibration in that case may come from the stock drum that comes with the unit which is 1 1/2" thick MDF. In my case, I replaced the drum that came with my ibox with one I made of 1 1/2 inch thick cherry and I don't get any of that.

On my Ringside unit, the support arms (just 1/4" thick angle iron) come all the way to the end of the drum.

You have a valid point though, thanks for clarifying that.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                • Oct 2006

im sure that cherry is also much heavier than the stock mdf, therefore it probably helps weigh it down in the front. either way, i dont think its anything a sandbag cant help.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
                  • Jan 2007

Ok, from the replies it sounds like the iBox is the best bet for the $$. I ordered yesterday, and they shipped it today. I'll let you know how it goes - thanks for all the input! Side note - I found 2 everlast 4210 speedbags (new) on ebay for a pretty good price as compared to new price (one came with everlast gel gloves and an extra "unknown" speedbag, should be fun)!

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jason_m_amy View Post
                    Ok, from the replies it sounds like the iBox is the best bet for the $$. I ordered yesterday, and they shipped it today. I'll let you know how it goes - thanks for all the input! Side note - I found 2 everlast 4210 speedbags (new) on ebay for a pretty good price as compared to new price (one came with everlast gel gloves and an extra "unknown" speedbag, should be fun)!
                    I'd highly recommend you pick up a sandbag at your local hardware store. It makes a big difference with any platfrom. It's a good idea to put the sand bag inside of a hefty bag, pillowcase, or anything else to catch any sand so you don't get a sand shower when punching away.

Let us know what you think, I think you'll be very happy with the Ibox!

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                      • Oct 2006

i second the sandbag idea. i also think you will be happy with the ibox unit as well. cant beat it for the money! happy speedbagging.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
                        • Jan 2007

IBox Rox!

I got the IBox platform, and have been punching away for a month or so with it - I really love it! Rather than take down the old platform, I put the new one up next to it - so I can have 2 bags up rather than changing them. What a difference going from the old one to the IBox! It's so quiet, and smooth...Very well made and sturdy! I have 30lbs of sand on top just to add more stability to it. I put on the plastic swivel, and it makes baggin' that much more fun!

-Jason

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Good for you! And with two platforms, you can adjust one for the right height for you and one for your girlfriend. You'll have to explain to her that the Ibox is for more advanced moves only and she's not ready for it yet.

Comment

• BillyMack
                            • Sep 2006

That's exactly what I did. I have two platforms; one is higher for bigger bags and the lower for my smaller bags. Also, my girl is 6"2 so she uses the bigger one. We actually have a game where we stand on either side of the bag and alternate hitting it. She has come a long way, I need to post a video of that.

Jason, are your bags close enough for you to stand in between and hit both of them at the same time? If so try it, it will rack your brain.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                              Jason, are your bags close enough for you to stand in between and hit both of them at the same time? If so try it, it will rack your brain.
                              Billy - yeah, I tried that double baggin' for a few min, and yea - extremely difficult, it's like patting your head while rubbing your belly! Is fun though...

Hey - awesome posts on the beach baggin' - do you surf? You should add in a vid of you catching a wave to shore, walking up to the bags on the beach and wailing away, then jump back in and catch another wave! Like a mini-triathlon. I wish they had bags on the beach down here in San Diego, I'd be all over that!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...