Swivel wear (no it's not a clothing line)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teetu
    • Aug 2006

Swivel wear (no it's not a clothing line)

Hey fellas,

I was wondering what the deal was with swivel deterioration. I noticed that my swivel has developed notches on both sides, probably from me just doing basic front techniques and not mixing it up (I'm lucky if I get 10 minutes to practice). Is this normal wear? Because I honestly don't think I've put even a fraction of the time on than most of you guys. So is this what happens to everyone?

I was getting the feeling that the "notches" were preventing my swivel from moving around freely. I know the picture isn't very good, but it was the best I could do.
    Attached Files
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

this wear that is on your swivel is completely normal. it will happen with any punches in any direction through time. i believe this is one of the reasons they dont produce this metal model of swivel anymore. i dont know if you can adjust the "eye" screw out of the metal ball at all, but if you can, unscrew it down a little so it doesnt hammer on the bezel anymore. it may slow the rebound a little, but at least youll spare the swivel.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Swivel wear

I would say that is a very old swivel. I say that for the eyebolt that holds the "S" hook goes way up into the ball, so the eyebolt is almost resting under the bezel.

Most later model S hooks can't go up this far into the ball, because the Eyebolt "eye" is much larger and won't go up under the bezel. This older swivel will "notch" both the eyehook and pound the bezel flat. But I actually loved these older swivels for I found them faster than than those with a longer eyebolt.

If you follow KevDawg's advice, which is fine, you will end up getting a contact "notch" on the eyebolt bar as it hits the bezel. the newer swivels tend to notch easier (cheaper metal I suspect).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like a great swivel to me.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...