• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steven
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2007

Hello + question

Hi, everyone. I'm new here and just wanted to say hi to everyone on this forum. Lots of great advice and discussion here. I was wondering if I could ask you guys for some advice.

I'm thinking of getting a speedbag for my basement (picture attached). It's about 22" from the bottom of one of the beams in the pic to the tip of my nose (the height at which my boxing coach says it's best to have the bag's stomach hang, though if you disagree, please tell). I was wondering if anyone had any advice of a brand to buy that hangs from the ceiling or perhaps advice on building one. I'm thinking of a 9x6 bag since from what I read it's the standard size. Does that mean it hangs 9" down? So I assume if I use a 2" thick board + 9" hang of bag, it would leave me with about 11" to cover? thnx

ps- any suggestions for a brand/model of bag thats good for overall boxing improvement?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steven; 03-05-2007, 03:28 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

The optimum (at the least the consensus here on the board) height for speed bagging is to have the belly or widest part of the bag about even with your mouth.

To answer you question though, yes, a 9x6 bag would be roughly 9" long and 6" wide. However, you do need to add in the length of the swivel, which is usually about 3 to 3 1/2 inches.

As far as the size and brand of speedbags for improvement, again, the general consensus for starting off and/or improving is a 7x10 or 8x11 because they are slower and it is easier to learn rhythym, combinations, etc. with a slower bag. A 9x6 may be kind of fast to start off with because it's considerably faster and it may just end up frustrating you.

A lot of guys here on the board that are quite good mostly stick to the 6x9 and 5x8 bags. I use a bunch of different sizes and I occasionally like to hit my Title 10X12 because it's like hitting a mini heavy bag because it's so heavy.

As far as brands go, most here prefer Title http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html or Everlast pro bags http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...peed-bags.html

There are other manufacturers that make good bags, it's just that these are the most popular.

See the following link for suggestions and/or photos of homemade platforms from folks here in the forum: http://speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295 This question has been so popular that Tim stickied it to the top of the Speed Bag discussion thread. If you end up making one, take a picture of it, along with explanations so we can add it to the thread.

Please let us know if we can help any further. Also, check out the site that our very own "Speedbag"' (aka Alan Kahn) has made. I'd spend as much time as you can looking over his site and don't miss the "demos" tab for some good instructions.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag hanging

Hi Steven,

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific height of the bag when you hang it from the ceiling. It will be much easier to adjust YOUR height by using an adustable platform to stand on. For instance, you may need a six inch riser to stand on for an 8x5 bag, but only a four inch or shorter rise for an 11x8. You can also make a similiar, less expensive version on your own with bricks and plywood.

I used these at home with my wife for a while and they worked great, especially for an unadjustable board such as your ceiling mount. And your board will most likely be rock solid giving a great rebound.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• scarecrow
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2007

Speed Bag ceiling mount

Has anyone seen an adjustable height ceiling mount for a speed bag? Something you can move up out of the way when you're not using it...

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
          Has anyone seen an adjustable height ceiling mount for a speed bag? Something you can move up out of the way when you're not using it...

Only the one built by forum member BillyMack but that was a custom job he made from scratch.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...