• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juanantoniomartin
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2007

question on swivel for 6x4 everlast

Hi Im new to hitting speedbag. I got a 4214 for Christmas and mounted it on an everlast link type swivel. Ive stayed at several times a week minimum since them and can do basic rythem including elbows, fwd and reverse roll and rcp or lcp to opposite lsp or rsp. Anyway I was feeling frisky and got a 6x4 xsmall everlast bag and the loop doesnt seem quite long enough to fit the swivel Im using. Did I recieve a defective bag or should I be using a different swivel with the 6x4. Thanks for this site and Thankyou Speedbag for your site and videos. It made the fun level and learning curve so much better as well as faster.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Sometimes the loops on a new bag are pretty tight. There is also usually an open seam inside the loop that will catch on the swivel, making it hard to slide it on. You might try inserting a screwdriver or other metal rod into the loop and twisting it back and forth (gently) to stretch it out a bit.

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2007

It does slide in and is useable. However the loop does'nt seem long enough. Occaisionally the link of the swivel gets hung up on the seam of the surrounding top of the bag. BTW I was expecting the 6x4 to be alot faster, rather it seems to be just alot less forgiving and only moderately faster. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• BillyMack
        • Sep 2006

I've had that happen as well. One thing that works well for me is to secure the bag with a zip-tie. Wrap the zip-tie in a figure 8 through the loop and over the swivel. This keeps the loop in place along the swivel and will make it a lot harder to get caught on the swivel. Maybe your new bag just needs to be broken in a little bit.

As far as the disappointing speed, perhaps there are other factors such as air pressure of the bag and stability of your platform...

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2007

I have an everlast heavybag/speedbag stand with foam and 40 lbs of weight on top. It could be better for sure. I plan on making a solid platform for it off our block wall or the I beam running through my training area. I have played with the air pressure a bit but I have barely an hour on it so perhaps I should stop typing and get my butt back in the gym.

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2007

Lol

Just got done working 6x4 for the better part of an hour. swapped the 4214 in for a few minutes about half way thru. What I observed was much smaller circles and hand movements with the 6x4. dramatically. Also much quieter. I guess the perception of speed has change since I have been practicing.

Comment

• BillyMack
              • Sep 2006

Yup, yup, and yup!

The bigger bags require more power and brute force while the smaller bags will hone your timing and precision.

If you are so inclined, post a video so we can see you in action...

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jan 2007

We are planning to get a video camera soon. My wife just mentioned it today in fact. As soon as we get it I will post video so. That would help my learning curve and give you guys a good chuckle remmebering when you looked as sloppy as me. Talk to you soon.

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

Cool...we won't chuckle too much...

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

6x4 speed bag & swivel

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                    .....As far as the disappointing speed, perhaps there are other factors such as air pressure of the bag and stability of your platform...
                    Hi juanantoniomartin

Reading through this, I also suspect board stability is the biggest part of your 'speed" problem.

I find there is a relationship between board stability, board material and bag size and pressure. Without hard science to back this up, I think the rebound/speed potential is a relationship between the internal bag pressure and the board. As a bag hits the board, the bag compresses inward - building up internal pressure. But if the board "gives" upward, or vibrates it steals some of that pressure, killing the rebound. The size of the bag doesn't matter, for if the board "reacts" to the contact, the recoil pressure for the rebound is reduced. A shaky, vibrating board will almost any bags speed, large or small. Take that 9x6 bag to a rock solid board and watch what happens.

Now, as for your Everlast 4214 Good luck getting that bag to go anywhere. I had several of these - and they are the slowest, deadest bag I've ever hit. I don't know why, but it has gravestone written all over it.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jan 2007

I got a short video clip

My daughter was kind enough to work on this short clip from a cheap camera that'l do short clips. So heres hoping. john
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jaguiler
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2007

alan is right about the 4214 - it is heavy and slow... I actually learned a lot on it.... but it was more painful and I had to whack at it pretty hard to get it moving nicely.... I returned it and got an Everlast Professional model - which is great ! soft leather - light feel - great speed.

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2007

Im starting to like the 6x4 alot more but Im going to build a solid platform for the 4214 as Ive found that I like the"heavy" hitting difference with it and it doesnt bother my hands at all. Plus my 9 year old boy is hitting too and we can learn together. Ill send video of him too posted in the right area.lol

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Punching the yard

Originally posted by juanantoniomartin View Post
                            Im starting to like the 6x4 alot more but Im going to build a solid platform for the 4214 as Ive found that I like the"heavy" hitting difference with it and it doesnt bother my hands at all. Plus my 9 year old boy is hitting too and we can learn together. Ill send video of him too posted in the right area.lol

EXCELLENT! I'd love to see a kids section. They are the future of the bag. Maybe in a few years they'll be "punching the Yard" instead of stompin' or Steppin'

I'd love to choreograph a bag beat for this group.

6 - 8 speed bags in a circle, with a beat going from one to the other as they rotate around the bags.

Gimme a Beat!
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...