• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

vintage british speedball?

I check ebay uk fairly regularly for boxing related stuff and this is the first time I've ever seen a vintage looking speedball. It was in an unsold job lot with a large leather heavy bag and vintage gloves. The seller is willing to sell it separately to me, but I just wondered if anyone might have any info on this type of speedball. The swivel has three holes!
    Attached Files
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You really don't have any choice but to buy it, now do you?

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Feb 2010

No not really.......

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Looks like you're going to have to carry the torch as far as the history end there in the UK Mrs. Mitts, my little bit of expertise applies mostly to products made in North America. BTW that's one nice looking bag/ball.

Comment

• fingers
          Speed Bag Guru
          • May 2008

Nice!! is that the original !!!!GOLDEN SWIVEL!!!!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Feb 2010

I should've known

I decided to buy this vintage ball in the end, the seller didn't know anything about it unfortunately. It came today -
            it's HUGE, looks gorgeous and has a lovely embossed marking:
            'Sugden Bros Warrington Sporting Outfitters'

I could barely find anything about this company on the internet and the ball seems much too good (new) to be authentic. It's inflated like a brick!!

So eventually I track this website down and sure enough here is the reproduction 'vintage' speedball.

What a weird place to come across a speedball!

I'm disappointed there's no history there but it looks the part. I will have to let you know what it hits like!

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

£40+ £4.99 postage. Yikes! Hope you got it for less than that. Got to love that name, eh?

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Bravo on the detective work Ms Mitts! Who would have thought that we are going to have to deal with reproductions now.

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

!!NO WAY!! well it still looks the part Mrs M! will make a nice conversation piece!

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post

I decided to buy this vintage ball in the end, the seller didn't know anything about it unfortunately. It came today -
                    it's HUGE, looks gorgeous and has a lovely embossed marking:
                    'Sugden Bros Warrington Sporting Outfitters'

I could barely find anything about this company on the internet and the ball seems much too good (new) to be authentic. It's inflated like a brick!!

So eventually I track this website down and sure enough here is the reproduction 'vintage' speedball.

What a weird place to come across a speedball!

I'm disappointed there's no history there but it looks the part. I will have to let you know what it hits like!
                    Well, we always complain that they don't make things like they used to. Now they did and we wish that it was one that they used to make. Unless it's made just for looks and it isn't quality, I guess you could always hang it and punch on it. Unless it doesn't hit well and the looks would ruin, then I guess hang it and look at it. What a dilemma, anyway you have a nice looking bag, what if it turned out to be authentic? It would look good as an extra in one of your videos. To bag or not to bag, that is the question?

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                      £40+ £4.99 postage. Yikes! Hope you got it for less than that. Got to love that name, eh?
                      Well, I got it for half that price thank goodness. They've done a good job on it,that's for sure!

Out of interest, how much would a vintage ball like this weigh? This beast measures 12" x 8" and weighs 422g. It's like punching a football!

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      Bravo on the detective work Ms Mitts! Who would have thought that we are going to have to deal with reproductions now.
                      Nor me, I wouldn't have believed there was much of a market for repro speedballs in the UK!!

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                      !!NO WAY!! well it still looks the part Mrs M! will make a nice conversation piece!
                      Yep, it does look nice fingers, another speedball purchase gone pear shaped!!!

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                      Well, we always complain that they don't make things like they used to. Now they did and we wish that it was one that they used to make. Unless it's made just for looks and it isn't quality, I guess you could always hang it and punch on it. Unless it doesn't hit well and the looks would ruin, then I guess hang it and look at it. What a dilemma, anyway you have a nice looking bag, what if it turned out to be authentic? It would look good as an extra in one of your videos. To bag or not to bag, that is the question?
                      Yes, that is the question!! It will look very nice displayed as you say, but fortunately I think it can be put to use too. At least it has a proper bladder! Actually it hits pretty well, although my board is a bit small and it feels like a football.... when I get used to it it'll add variety and give a more physical workout.

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Out of interest, how much would a vintage ball like this weigh? This beast measures 12" x 8" and weighs 422g. It's like punching a football!
                        I have a 14" x 9" vintage bag the weighs in at a whopping 566g (20oz), and an old Wilson that is similar your ball's size that weighs only 311g (11oz). Dutch would know better, but the weights from my small selection of old bags show wide variation.

...when I get used to it it'll add variety and give a more physical workout.
                        Atta girl !

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

How much a bag weighs all depends upon what type and grade leather has been used. Kangaroo is very light and strong. Most of the manufacturers used cowhide, some horsehide both readily available especially in the Midwest. Both are very durable, but the are usually heavier per square foot than the 'roo leather which untill the latter part of the last century was considered an exotic leather, at least in the US.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...