• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Old Spalding

I had a lady send me this pictures asking some questions about how old this bag is and a bit of it's history. I don't know much about the spalding line of bags and never hit one.

Here is here email:

"I have acquired a spalding speed punching bag that i believe is vintage. It still is inflated. It has four metal eyelets on each side. It has a number 20 embossed on it. Could you please tell me the approximate age or how I would find that information"

any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Really nice looking bag, looks barely used. The Spalding #20 was in their catalog for a long time Look at this 1917 catalog http://www.scribd.com/doc/34239956/1...Fall-Catalogue

It's pretty apparent that this is a bottom valve bag, so it's definitely post WWII. I'd say that it's at least 45-50 years old, maybe older, but not over 60. I remember seeing these bags in the sporting goods dept at Kaufmanns in Pittsburgh as a kid.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks, Dutchman. I figured you'd know something about it. Seems like I remember you posting about spalding before. This lady owns it and wanted to know is she should use it.

I'll pass on the information.
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

It probably has the original bladder, which I don't think will last long. The # 20 is a larger bag by current standards. The Title large size bladder might work, otherwise she would need to obtain one from Genesport when it becomes necessary.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          It probably has the original bladder, which I don't think will last long. The # 20 is a larger bag by current standards. The Title large size bladder might work, otherwise she would need to obtain one from Genesport when it becomes necessary.
          thanks. I'll pass that on to her.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...