• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roscoe
    • May 2006

Introduction

Hello everyone,
    I've been lurking since May 06 and gathered enough information here to get started. Bought a couple of pine 36" rounds from Home Depot to glue together, welded up a frame, bought several swivels to test, ordered an Everlast 11x8 Pro Series bag and a Title 100 lb heavy Thai bag (72"). Am placing an order for the bible & DVD's today!

Now all I gotta do is put it all together and take pix as I go. Wish me luck and thank you all kindly for he pointers, recommendations and thoughts.

Roscoe
    Last edited by Roscoe; 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM. Reason: Add information
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Welcome Roscoe!

Contact Speedbag to buy the book and DVD's directly from him, he might just offer you a discount.

Then let us know what we can do to help.

Comment

• Roscoe
      • May 2006

Hey Chris,
      You been helping all along. My Home Depot drum is temporary, I plan on building one like you did from cherry wood. I also like your use of Title's big blue bag as a mini-heavy bag!

Keep pounding, Roscoe

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
        Hey Chris,
        You been helping all along. My Home Depot drum is temporary, I plan on building one like you did from cherry wood. I also like your use of Title's big blue bag as a mini-heavy bag!

Keep pounding, Roscoe
        When gluing the 3 pine rounds together, I highly suggest you use screws long enough that reach all three rounds while they're gluing up. Gluing up pieces of wood like that is difficult because they slip and slide around an awful lot while you're trying to clamp them.

When the glue is dry, you can remove the screws. That should be a really sturdy platform since it will be approx. 3 inches thick.

Post pictures when you complete it, I'd love to see it.
        Last edited by Chris M; 03-12-2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• BillyMack
          • Sep 2006

Welcome to the party!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

new speed bagger

Welcome and hope to see some footage some. Your board plans sound solid.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2007

Welcome !!

I am using only one pine board from HD and a sand bag on top... I think regardless of the thickness - a sandbag always helps.
              I don't have much vibration if any at all - It does tend to deaden the sound of hte bag a little as well.

But I figure there is no need togo to the cherry if you are using the pine...much less three of them.

Comment

• Roscoe
                • May 2006

Thanks for the welcome,
                I'm only using two boards and for a total of 2 1/4"s and sandbags if needed. The hardwood plan is for later and sort of a hobby, I plan to buy a couple boards at a time of maple from a place down the street. Speaking of which, ain't it wonderful to live in America and be able to buy what we need when we want it (or can afford it)? My hat is off to that fella in Greece, Pegasos who is doing the best he can with what he has. I don't have any wall space so my homemade frame will be attached to a 6x8" post that runs from my rafters to the cement floor in the middle of my garage. Am borrowing a camera later this week and hope to learn how to post pictures here.

Roscoe

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

I'm only using two boards and for a total of 2 1/4"s and sandbags if needed.
                  Trust me. The sandbag will make a significant difference. It's very cheap and easy to do too.

I highly recommend the sandbag!

Comment

• jaguiler
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2007

I think the sand bags are more important than the thickness of the board.

There was a video of an older gentleman on here with his board attached to that post. you might want to take a look at that.

Comment

• BillyMack
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
                      There was a video of an older gentleman on here with his board attached to that post. you might want to take a look at that.
                      Ya, Alan Kahn is hosting those video clips on his youtube site. You might be able to get some details about that installation...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag pole attachment

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                        Ya, Alan Kahn is hosting those video clips on his youtube site. You might be able to get some details about that installation...
                        Details are easy. He custom built this unit. He sent me a video of his speed bag set-up, including the board and pole attachment for his basement. I can't locate any reliable attachments for a center pole.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Details are easy. He custom built this unit. He sent me a video of his speed bag set-up, including the board and pole attachment for his basement. I can't locate any reliable attachments for a center pole.
                          You can get thick stainless steel hose clamps in varying sizes that are made for aircraft applications. I guarantee two or three above and below the board would be very sturdy and they'd defnitely hold up to the vibration.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

vertical pole speed bag attachment

magnetic lock - a door lock consisting of an electromagnet and strike plate. The electromagnet is mounted in the door frame opposite the strike plate, which is mounted in the door. When current is applied, the strength of the magnet holds the door locked. Magnetic locks operate on low voltage and consume little power.
                            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, this guy Ben made a similiar unit to attach to a vertical pole with industrial magnets. He is a locksmith at a major university in the northeast, and was using electric magnets for Door locking systems.

I think he showed a sample in one of the other video's he sent me. He was making a portable pole that slid into a car tire filled with cement for the base. With the pole inserted into the tire, he would attach a metal rebound ring with a magnet. This allowed him to take his speed bag unit with him. Pretty slick.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...