X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Deville's Two 3-minute Workouts – One Fast, One Slow

Every once in a while, I start thinking, Why am I posting another video? And I wonder if any of my videos are of any instructional value?

Over the months, I have adapted my own style/technique of punching in order to "get the job done." That is, to punch – in rhythm – with enough power to make the bag rebound AND to make it sound like part of the song I'm punching to.

Here are two samples from my daily 1-hour speed bag workout. The first song – "Only A Fool Would Say That" a 70s Steely Dan song, is upbeat, but a comfortable pace to punch along to, and I kept the punches and combos simple.

The second song from 2001 called "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" by a group called Cake, is a really catchy upbeat tune, and I picked up the pace a bit in that one. I tried to focus on creating musical speed bag combos/patterns – all the while making sure to make use of each fist equally.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the fruits of my speed bag labor (of LOVE!) with some punch drumming, for what it's worth…

I hope that these videos do indeed prove to be helpful to potential punch-drummers. I hope this will inspire postings from other members.

I really like hitting to this song by Cake, it has such a catchy beat and quirky lyrics...

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Brother Cavefish
    • Jan 2011

LOL, you are too cool, all woman and all speed bag, just hangin out doing your thing, right on sister, you definetly have value
    Last edited by Brother Cavefish; 02-21-2011, 04:40 AM.
    Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

One of a kind Value!!!

Your were born for the Hitting to music thread and for the most part you own this thread as of lately!

I've learned a lot from your videos and have been able to use more variation in punch-drumming because of your videos D Not many baggers post punch-drumming videos so I'm always on the look out for your next post!

I have no doubt it will inspire others!

The song by Cake is catchy, I heard it for the first time the other day and thought the same thing. Great choice for your video.

Awesome editing job and without a doubt you deserve a Golden Swivel for the "Most Aesthetic Bagging Background"!

Keep on Postin the Punch-Drumming Vidz D! Looking forward to your next one!
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Baggin' in an Octopus's garden like Ringo, are ye? I like that Cake song.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Now that's a 1 - 2 punch! You are definitely tuned in.

Originally posted by MsDeville
          Over the months, I have adapted my own style/technique of punching in order to "get the job done." That is, to punch – in rhythm – with enough power to make the bag rebound AND to make it sound like part of the song I'm punching to.
          Mission Accomplished!!!!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Brother Cavefish View Post
            LOL, you are too cool, all woman and all speed bag, just hangin out doing your thing, right on sister, you definetly have value
            Thanks Brother for the affirmation! Yup, that's me. All woman (and then some!) and hangin' out at my speed bag woodshed every chance I get, honing my skill! I'm very passionate about this crazy little thing called speed bagging...
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              Every once in a while, I start thinking, Why am I posting another video? And I wonder if any of my videos are of any instructional value? Over the months, I have adapted my own style/technique of punching in order to "get the job done." That is, to punch – in rhythm – with enough power to make the bag rebound AND to make it sound like part of the song I'm punching to.

Here are two samples from my daily 1-hour speed bag workout. The first song – "Only A Fool Would Say That" a 70s Steely Dan song, is upbeat, but a comfortable pace to punch along to, and I kept the punches and combos simple.

The second song from 2001 called "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" by a group called Cake, is a really catchy upbeat tune, and I picked up the pace a bit in that one. I tried to focus on creating musical speed bag combos/patterns – all the while making sure to make use of each fist equally.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the fruits of my speed bag labor (of LOVE!) with some punch drumming, for what it's worth…

I hope that these videos do indeed prove to be helpful to potential punch-drummers. I hope this will inspire postings from other members.

I really like hitting to this song by Cake, it has such a catchy beat and quirky lyrics...

Ms D, not being a professional teacher but sometimes being stuck in the role, I came to the conclusion you can't necessarily teach but merely present, it's up to the student to learn, for only then is the goal met. You're doing a beautiful job of learning and presenting your skills. We all have something to learn from your dedication.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                You were born for the Hitting to music thread and for the most part you own this thread as of lately!

I've learned a lot from your videos and have been able to use more variation in punch-drumming because of your videos D Not many baggers post punch-drumming videos so I'm always on the look out for your next post!

I have no doubt it will inspire others!

The song by Cake is catchy, I heard it for the first time the other day and thought the same thing. Great choice for your video.

Awesome editing job and without a doubt you deserve a Golden Swivel for the "Most Aesthetic Bagging Background"!

Keep on Postin the Punch-Drumming Vidz D! Looking forward to your next one!
                Thanks, nova. Well, I'm not sure if I "own this thread" or if I've hijacked it! I'm glad you've been able to glean tips from watching my videos. Thanks, nova.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                Baggin' in an Octopus's garden like Ringo, are ye? I like that Cake song.
                I went a little crazy with the special effects, didn't I? I had to try out the "multiple mirror" effect, just for fun. It seemed to work with that particular quirky song.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Now that's a 1 - 2 punch! You are definitely tuned in.

Mission Accomplished!!!!!
                Thanks, Biff. Lots of basic 1-2 punches. And, of course, my favorite punch, the D-TES. Nothing too fancy in these punch-drumming videos but, I think maybe these'll encourage others who are interested in this aspect of speed bagging. You're way overdue for a little punch-drumming demo, Biff. It's been a while since you posted the Mambo song...

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                  Ms D, not being a professional teacher but sometimes being stuck in the role, I came to the conclusion you can't necessarily teach but merely present, it's up to the student to learn, for only then is the goal met. You're doing a beautiful job of learning and presenting your skills. We all have something to learn from your dedication.
                  Why, thank you very much Greg. You stated that very nicely. I'm all about "presentation." I want it to look pretty. Not just the setting/background, but also in the execution of the punches. And, no worries. I will continue to present videos for the "cause." To inspire and recuit others to take a stab at it.
                  It's easy. Just listen to the music and just go with it...

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Every once in a while, I start thinking, Why am I posting another video? And I wonder if any of my videos are of any instructional value?
                    We are all our own worst critics. There's somehting to be learned in everything. The minute we stop learning or figure "we know it all" then it's time for the dirt on the lid. Even then the quest never stops.....

Overthe months, I have adapted my own style/technique of punching in order to "get the job done." That is, to punch – in rhythm – with enough power to make the bag rebound AND to make it sound like part of the song I'm punching to.
                    Bruce Lee called his interpretation of the martial arts "Honest Expression". When you honestly express that is, give 100% and are sincere, then it isn't wrong or bad, it's yours!BAG ON SISTER!!!

Hereare two samples from my daily 1-hour speed bag workout. The first song – "Only A Fool Would Say That" a 70s Steely Dan song, is upbeat, but a comfortable pace to punch along to, and I kept the punches and combos simple.
                    Steely Dan is AWESOME..And this from a guy who loves songs with titles like"Hammer Smashed face" "........ed With a Knife"..you get the gist. You kept a very nice simple beat to this song. I really like how you started adding the split fists towards the end. They really do open the door to linking more combos in. This is something I'm learning. See? Someone's learning from your videos! KEEP POSTING!

Nice job here! this is a quirky song to hit to. It's a quriky song in general.

Thanks for posting! It's always a treat to see your progress...and I salivate over that setup Trainer Raul made for you. It has such a unique sound to it and is soooooo solid! Your videos do help, I'm learning you don't have to hit fancy to look and sound good. That all comes with time and practice. You have improved EXPONENTIALLY over the time you have spent in this forum. Along with Skunk, Scissors, Alan. Tim, TJ, and lately Novabagger, Your videos also inspire me to get out and get hittin! Thanks for sharin, postin and teachin! BAG ON until the bag bursts....then go out get another bag and bag some more!

]
                    sigpic

Comment

• Biff
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks, Biff. Lots of basic 1-2 punches. And, of course, my favorite punch, the D-TES. Nothing too fancy in these punch-drumming videos but, I think maybe these'll encourage others who are interested in this aspect of speed bagging. You're way overdue for a little punch-drumming demo, Biff. It's been a while since you posted the Mambo song...
                      Dee, the 1 - 2 punch I was referring to, was the two videos you posted, not your punching.

You are in the zone when you're hitting to music. I think it's great!

As for me, I have been hitting with my music in the background, learning to relax and go with the beat. You and Nova have helped a bunch.

I don't own a video camera and have to borrow one from work. I'll see if I can borrow a camera some weekend and video a few things. There are several songs that I like hitting to. I'll have to break down and buy one eventually.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Dee, the 1 - 2 punch I was referring to, was the two videos you posted, not your punching.
                        I kinda figured that's what you meant, but decided to play with it in my reply...

You are in the zone when you're hitting to music. I think it's great!

As for me, I have been hitting with my music in the background, learning to relax and go with the beat. You and Nova have helped a bunch.
                        That's the ticket! Learning to RELAX and going with the BEAT. Punch-drumming is not something that can be "planned out" either. Well, not for me, anyway. It's totally improvisational. And, like Alan says, you'll never punch to a song the same way twice. It's different every time – like a snowflake And there's nothing wrong with that. One shouldn't have to think about it when punch-drumming... if you are, you're doing it wrong, IMO. :eek

I don't own a video camera and have to borrow one from work. I'll see if I can borrow a camera some weekend and video a few things. There are several songs that I like hitting to. I'll have to break down and buy one eventually.
                        I'd love to see more video postings from you, Biff. The few that you have posted are well-lit and filmed at a perfect angle for viewing and learning. I learn something from nearly every video I watch on the forum.

Comment

• Inkspill
                          • Dec 2010

I've been forgetting to watch these vids all week, worth the wait Ms!

First video, WOW! Your control blows me away, timing and rhythm and smooth transitions, hitting the bag with enough force to get it to slow down in time (not too late not too soon) between hit combinations to match rests in the beat is impressive!

A question, your song audio always sounds so clean, are you adding the song in after with an editing program?

Video 2

The cake video! Fun one, I really like those inside downward outside downward double elbow strikes, I don't know if there's a better name for it haven't read the rest of the comments yet. I enjoyed your vids, again very tight control and accuracy. You've put in an impressive amount of work

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                            I've been forgetting to watch these vids all week, worth the wait Ms!

First video, WOW! Your control blows me away, timing and rhythm and smooth transitions, hitting the bag with enough force to get it to slow down in time (not too late not too soon) between hit combinations to match rests in the beat is impressive!

A question, your song audio always sounds so clean, are you adding the song in after with an editing program?
                            Thanks Ink! Yes, the control comes with practice, I guess. And, I have the muscle memory thing goin' on. I think that's what it's called. Learning through repetition the exact amount of pressure to use to achieve the desired affect. My goal in punch-drumming is to complement the song/music... (not to be confused with compliment. )

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                            Video 2

The cake video! Fun one, I really like those inside downward outside downward double elbow strikes, I don't know if there's a better name for it haven't read the rest of the comments yet. I enjoyed your vids, again very tight control and accuracy. You've put in an impressive amount of work
                            I really like this song. Like you say, a fun one. And if you watch enough of my recent videos, you'll soon figure out that the downward elbow strikes are my favorite punch. Thanks for the nice comments.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

You made my day, Patrick!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                              We are all our own worst critics. There's somehting to be learned in everything. The minute we stop learning or figure "we know it all" then it's time for the dirt on the lid. Even then the quest never stops.....

Bruce Lee called his interpretation of the martial arts "Honest Expression". When you honestly express that is, give 100% and are sincere, then it isn't wrong or bad, it's yours! BAG ON SISTER!!!

Steely Dan is AWESOME..And this from a guy who loves songs with titles like"Hammer Smashed face" "........ed With a Knife"..you get the gist. You kept a very nice simple beat to this song. I really like how you started adding the split fists towards the end. They really do open the door to linking more combos in. This is something I'm learning. See? Someone's learning from your videos! KEEP POSTING!

RE: Video 2:

Nice job here! this is a quirky song to hit to. It's a quriky song in general.

Thanks for posting! It's always a treat to see your progress...and I salivate over that setup Trainer Raul made for you. It has such a unique sound to it and is soooooo solid! Your videos do help, I'm learning you don't have to hit fancy to look and sound good. That all comes with time and practice.
                              Metaldad, you have allayed my fears. You're a gem. What great words of encouragement and reassurance. Thank you, Patrick. And, you blow me away with the fact that you – Mr. Heavy Metal – can appreciate other music. (By the way, I'm bringing all my music with me to SB2011. Can't wait to do a PD-ing duet with you to a Celine Dion song. Just kidding!!

And about my platform...I love my speed bag platform. It's definitely one-of-a-kind. Trainer Raul done good when he built that one! SOLID AS A ROCK!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                              You have improved EXPONENTIALLY over the time you have spent in this forum. Along with Skunk, Scissors, Alan. Tim, TJ, and lately Novabagger, Your videos also inspire me to get out and get hittin! Thanks for sharin, postin and teachin! BAG ON until the bag bursts....then go out get another bag and bag some more!
                              Your words of encouragement have inspired me to post another song.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...