• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swaddington
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2007

swivel drag

i'm having a small issue with my setup and i have no idea what's causing it. i was hitting my bag a few weeks ago and was doing quite well with it, no problems were being experienced.

i go to college during the week so i dont get to use the bag until weekends. two weekends ago i came back home and went downstairs to play around with the bag.

i use a chainlink speed bag swivel and a vinyl 7x11" everlast bag which on two parallel faces has a stitched everlast emblem. for some reason, everytime i hit the bag now the bag drags to the other parallel side. meaning, assuming the bag was a compass, and the sides with the everlast emblem are north and south, the bag constantly drags and i can only keep it going if i hit the east and west sides. it's not an enormous problem i guess but i can't keep it going as fast and as consistently as i could before.

any ideas why it's dragging to this one side?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

the chain link swivel tends to only go 2 ways north and south. i dont understand why it would not allow you to go as fast as you used to.
    ________
    Vapor info
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2007

maybe it is just dirty - try a little machine oil or light oil or wd40... on the swivel

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I use graphite on my swivels, it doesn't drip down and even if it does it doesn't get my bags all oily.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Kind of a swivel drag?

Originally posted by swaddington View Post
          i'm having a small issue with my setup and i have no idea what's causing it. i was hitting my bag a few weeks ago and was doing quite well with it, no problems were being experienced.

i use a chainlink speed bag swivel and a vinyl 7x11" everlast bag which on two parallel faces has a stitched everlast emblem. for some reason, everytime i hit the bag now the bag drags to the other parallel side. meaning, assuming the bag was a compass, and the sides with the everlast emblem are north and south, the bag constantly drags and i can only keep it going if i hit the east and west sides. it's not an enormous problem i guess but i can't keep it going as fast and as consistently as i could before.

any ideas why it's dragging to this one side?
          Hard to say on this without seeing or hearing it, but It is a good bet it could be either your swivel, OR your bag.

1. Try other bags on this swivel. If the same screwy action happens with other bags, it is probably the swivel.

2. Take this bag to other boards and swivels. If this vinyl bag acts the some on other swivels, than it's probably your bag. (With the bag you describe, I suspect it is probably the culprit...)

3. Test your BOARD by changing the swivel and the bag. If the same things happens, with other bags and swivels, than it might be the board. It's been known to happen.

If 1,2,3 don't help eliminate or isolate your problem, then it's just possible that you've got yourself genuine speed bag gremlin.

Good luck
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chawncy
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2006

Did you recently put up a bag of sand on top of the platform? I had the same problem as you. The sand had fallen down from the top of the platform and got in to the swivel bearings ( I have a small hole in the center of my drum).

After a couple of days of banging on the bag the sand has been pulverized and it's okay again.

I now put my sandbag inside of a garbage bag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...