• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tanner2007
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2007

Need Help With Speed Bag

i got it setup but im confused of how to hit it right so i can get FASTER i seen people hit it all differently and really weird how do i just hit it right so i can start to get quicker
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Welcome, Tanner!

You are definitely in the right place, there is tons of information here. While you're finding your way around the forums you should try to post some pictures of your setup and a video of your current skill level, you can get a lot of quick feedback if we can see what you're doing on the bag.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

In addition to what BillMack said, go over to Speedbag's site here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/m...=1&clientId=55 and check out his videos, he's got a ton of clips that will be useful to you. Also make sure to take some time to look over the rest of his site, he's got a lot of very good information there.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tanner2007 View Post
        i got it setup but im confused of how to hit it right so i can get FASTER i seen people hit it all differently and really weird how do i just hit it right so i can start to get quicker
        HI Tanner and welcome to the forum.

The sound and fury of a speed bag flying full speed around the board is an awesome experience. Unfortunately, we must learn to walk before we run.

You say you want to "hit it right to get faster". First, hitting it right is relative for what YOU want to do with the bag, and second - you might want to change the words "....to get faster" to "...to get more control." The more control you have over your swinging movements, the faster you can do them. I have personally found that "getting faster" is always secondary to getting control. As your ability to control your swinging improves, and learning to adjust to what the bag sound and afterimages of it moving tell you, then your speed will increase without any effort on your part. Of course, at some point you will be able to purposely go faster. But only with good control can you punch at any speed you want. Beginners trying to go fast will always find the bag flying out of control, but it's not the bags fault. It always does exactly what we tell it.

Have a little patience with yourself, and practice on a regular basis. Some days you will make great progress, and feel like you've got it. Others, you may wonder if you've ever really hit the bag before. But that's natural. Enjoy the good days and laugh at the bad. As you gain control, you will soon find many more of the former than the later.

Best part is, you've got a whole community here to help you.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
          • Sep 2006

One of the first things I learned from Alan is to think of it as a "Control bag" and not a "Speed bag". This is quite true. Take your time, get your form right, go through the motions at a controlled pace to build the "mucle memory"...as you do this you will naturally start to pick up the pace....

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I have personally found that "getting faster" is always secondary to getting control.
            same with me start with a big bag (10x7 or bigger) get control then go a little faster with the big bag till you think you are ready for more speed you can move to a smaller one(9x6 or smaller). most important thing be patient!!!
            ________
            CHEAP GLASS PIPES
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Go slow. Really really slow until you can do the hits automatically without thinking. Keep doing it and you'll find you'll speed up without even trying.

Just practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...