X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roscoe
    • May 2006

Optimum Drum Size

When space limitations are the driving factor as to where to hang your platform...is 30"s enough drum to handle large bags? (10x12) I will be using Ringsides top swivel.

I don't have a collection of bags yet to take my own measurements.

Thanks in advance,

Roscoe
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

30 might be close depending on the length of the swivel, should be ok though. Do remember that the bottom of the bag can extend a little past the drum as the belly is the part that makes contact.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

ya 30" sounds ok but go as big as you can with a 10x12 plus swivel i might be a little close
      ________
      LIVE SEX
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Another thing to consider is how far the drum is from the wall. For instance, I have a really big 14" bag that I got from BOES, but I can't use it on my indoor setup because the very bottom of the bag hits against the wall even though the belly of the bag hits on the drum just fine.

That is only on my indoors iBox that I have. I have a custom drum that built for it and the drum is about 32". However, my outdoors unit has a 30" drum but because it's mounted farther out from the wall, it doesn't interfere and I can use my big old 14" BOES on my outside unit only.
        Last edited by Chris M; 03-23-2007, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Drum size

I'm going with Chris M. on this, 'cause he is our "big bag" connoisseur. Distance from the wall can be an issue for the board, but a 30 inch board should handle just about any bag I have ever seen.

for instance, most 11x8 bags come to the edge of a small 24 inch drum. ( swivel in middle, about 12 inches to edge..) so a 30 inch board puts the swivel in the middle with 15 inches to the edge. Not many bags anymore that are longer than 15 inches. The much larger 36 inch boards are much heavier and super-sturdy, but probably overkill for a home setup.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

I'm going with Chris M. on this, 'cause he is our "big bag" connoisseur. Distance from the wall can be an issue for the board, but a 30 inch board should handle just about any bag I have ever seen.
            I may enjoy the big bags, but I actually hit the 7x10 and 6x9 more than anything else. It's just that I do enjoy the big bags from time to time to mix it up a bit.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...