• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BCLFriday13
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2007

Big Ooops...Help!

Okay then, I just got my speed bag the other day and well...I'm already having problems...The like, wooden platform part is cracking...I guess that means I am hitting it too hard but really I'm not...I dont know what you would call the type of set up I have...Here is a picture of it http://revgear.com/catalog/images/econoMount.gif
    Im thinking about putting some kind of fabric or something under the wood part to keep from having so much pressure hitting it but I would rather ask people who know their stuff first...What am I doing wrong?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Board repair

Hi BCLFriday13

Those inexpensive particle or pressed wood rebound boards (....also called the "drum") can sometimes be defective and separate under pressure. In fact, the very first one I ever bought over 25 years ago had the same problem. After three or four workouts, it had a mini-grand canyon from the edge to swivel. Here is a picture of how I fixed it, by adding 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood over the top of the board.

I normally mention this as a good way to add some weight and stability to a smaller economy board, but the truth is I first did this to fix a "split" presswood board. I like to put the rougher plywood over the smoother black surfaced finished board, to keep splinters from the plywood away from the bag leather.

Here's how.

1. Take your swivel off the board, and board off the horizontal frame. Get longer carriage bolts for the horizontal frame (about 2 inches) and washers, nuts. I also normally get 2 or 2-1/2 inch Hex cap bolts #10 for the swivel with washers and locknuts.

2. Lay your board over a 4x4 sheet of plywood. If you want your finished plywood to be a circle like your board, draw the outline of the board edge. Then mark you frame bolt holes, and swivel holes. I like to use a small nail through the swivel hole and punch a mark into the plywood.

3. Take the pressed board off and drill your holes. Use a smaller bit for the swivel holes. After you drill them, put the new bolts through to make sure they fit, and do the same to both boards together to make sure your bolt holes all line up. IF THEY DO, now you can cut your plywood in a circle if you want. (* If you cut it in a circle before this, and your holes don't line up, you may not have enough area on your plywood to adjust your holes and try again.. voice of experience) your plywood doesn't have to be circle shaped. Just be sure the size is pretty close to the 24 inch circular board, so it will fit close to the wall.

4. Now to fix the particle splitting, I Glued the particle board to the Plywood. Nice and thick. Stuck them together, inserted the four horizontal frame bolts so they lined up and packed a bunch of weight on top, let it set until dry. For overkill, I then added some screws, countersunk into the particle board so the heads wouldn't interfere with the bag. That braced the board and get the split from expanding.

5. Put the boards back up onto the hanging frame with the carriage bolts, then attach the swivel with the hex cap bolts. IF you're not going to bolt the swivel, you don't need to worry about that, but I don't trust those particle board to hold the tiny screws that come with swivels. Bolting them makes changing them much easier later. I also like to use Wing nut fasteners whenever possible. Just easier.

Usually, on the plywood I write the bolt, nut and wrench sizes, so I can see it at a glance and not play the guessing game each time I work on it.) The top of my boards normally have all sorts of notes I've written to myself.

That is how I fixed mine, and the unit shown on the links above has served me many years. It is not split, but the one I fixed also survived many workouts, and was left hanging in a house I left years ago.

Hope this helps you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
      • Sep 2006

Yup!

I can attest to these modifications as well. I might suggest that instead of cutting plywood (in case you don't have a saw) you can purchase wood rounds from your local hardware store. My local store carries 24 and 32" pine which is "the bomb". I used wood glue to attach the wood round to my black particle board drum.

It is also a wise suggestion to replace the factory hardware with nuts/bolts from the hardware store. If you are a hardware n00b let me know and I can post the exact dimensions for the nuts/bolts.

The final suggestion is to put some sand on top of the platform when you have it finished. I bought a 50# bag at the same hardware store (was 5 bucks). Then I split the bag into 5 smaller bags (plastic bags from grocery store) and placed them in an army duffel on top of the platform. Then I used a racheting strap to secure the bag and to brace the mounting arms.

I get minimal vibration this way so I'm able to concentrate on the bag and not worry about "raising the roof".

Here's some of my pics so you can get an idea.

ALso, welcome to the forums! If you are interested in posting videos and getting feedback you should make one now so you can go back later and see how much you've improved.

Happy Friday!!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
        I can attest to these modifications as well. I might suggest that instead of cutting plywood (in case you don't have a saw) you can purchase wood rounds from your local hardware store. My local store carries 24 and 32" pine which is "the bomb". I used wood glue to attach the wood round to my black particle board drum. Happy Friday!!
        I forgot to mention the wood table rounds that are now available. I've made three rebound boards from them and they work great.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2007

well - mif you just got it the other day - I would take hte time to take it down and then return it.
          Then follow the advice above with your new board. I second the wooden table rounds ... !! love mine... I don;t se the black MDF anymore - I had the same platform as you.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...