• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Born on the Bayou- punch drumming

I guess I'm just pumped up about Speed Bag II, so. I did another punch drumming vid. I hope you guys don't mind one more vid. I promise I'll hold off for a little while after this unless you guys have to have some footage from Jersey.

Novaspeedbagger
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Super...

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
    I guess I'm just pumped up about Speed Bag II, so. I did another punch drumming vid. I hope you guys don't mind one more vid. I promise I'll hold off for a little while after this unless you guys have to have some footage from Jersey.

I think you need to change your forum name to supernovaspeedbagger, Kerry.

You chose a great song to punch-drum to. Very mellow...the punching is music to my ears... and so mesmerizing. Thanks for posting. And I'll see you in Keyport!
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
      I think you need to change your forum name to supernovaspeedbagger, Kerry.

You chose a great song to punch-drum to. Very mellow...the punching is music to my ears... and so mesmerizing. Thanks for posting. And I'll see you in Keyport!
      You are too kind Denise I'm glad you liked the song and the punching! It'll be cool to do some punch drum jamming with you in Jersey. I'm looking forward to it!
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• larted
        • Mar 2009

Kerry
        Your videos are helpful to me. And I need the help. I am at the point of doing most of the punches but keeping it going with the changeovers is hard. Once I tried to play the guitar, I learned five cords and and was so happy then I realized that I had to change the cords to play the thing. That's when I stopped. I am staying with it this time. It will take awhile but I will do it. The good news is even when I miss hit it makes me want it that much more. Thanks for the slowmos.
        Larry

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

Just keep punching!

Originally posted by larted View Post
          Kerry
          Your videos are helpful to me. And I need the help. I am at the point of doing most of the punches but keeping it going with the changeovers is hard. Once I tried to play the guitar, I learned five cords and and was so happy then I realized that I had to change the cords to play the thing. That's when I stopped. I am staying with it this time. It will take awhile but I will do it. The good news is even when I miss hit it makes me want it that much more. Thanks for the slowmos.
          Larry
          Your welcome Larry! I like to help if I can. I'm also glad your sticking with it. Do you have Alan"s Speed Bag Bible/DVD? He really explains the key to using the more advanced combinations in a very understandable way. The way I started moving forward, was to try and do longer and longer segments of punching while using the continuous linking strikes and throwing in double punches to the front and rear of the bag as I felt comfortable.....Things kinda progress from there. The "Too Legit to Quit" vid was basically when I began to break through and do some meaningful Punch-Drumming. Hopefully I've improve my control somewhat since then.

Here's the link to the thread, you may be interested in checking it out.

There's a good message in that post to reinforce your decision to punch on with out giving up. I hope you give it a view, Larry.

Keep on bagging!
          Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM.
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• larted
            • Mar 2009

Thanks again Kerry. I do have the bible but not the dvd's. I will get them.
            Larry

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Brilliant work. Very nice the way you work in the Reverse Double Punches (RDP) and change overs behind the bag. I actually hear your beat pretty well, I would just use more Side Double Punches to create some of the same grooves. I see your feeling the triple fist rolls or Triple elbow beats better also.

But your were dead on beat the whole time. Even had a great recovery at 4:10 when you missed that Right Reverse Single Punch (RSP). Ain't no biggie, it's easy to slip a fist off the bag and miss. The recovery shows your rhythmic improvisational ability is locked in. Great job. Now let's make the jump to domr double time patterns.... You should hear them in your head already.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2010

Duly noted AK!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Brilliant work. Very nice the way you work in the Reverse Double Punches (RDP) and change overs behind the bag. I actually hear your beat pretty well, I would just use more Side Double Punches to create some of the same grooves. I see your feeling the triple fist rolls or Triple elbow beats better also.

But your were dead on beat the whole time. Even had a great recovery at 4:10 when you missed that Right Reverse Single Punch (RSP). Ain't no biggie, it's easy to slip a fist off the bag and miss. The recovery shows your rhythmic improvisational ability is locked in. Great job. Now let's make the jump to do more double time patterns.... You should hear them in your head already.
                Thanks Alan! I am still working on the side double punches, through the metal dad challenge rhythm, to get smoother with the transitions. For this vid, I was in the speed bag dungeon hitting to some tunes and this one shuffled up on my phone, so, I just kept on grooving to it. Then, it felt so good, I figured I hit to it again and record it. This was a first take and I just wanted to try and get all the way through it without any misses, so I stayed a bit conservative with the combo's and just let the rhythm take over. As time goes on, I find new punches coming in more naturally as flowing combinations (as you put it on your DVD)

Your can be sure that I listen to your advice when you post replies to my vidz my friend. You have definitely given my progress a hyper jump with your personal interaction on this forum! I for one, have a tremendous appreciation for that, and I'm sure, many others do as well!

More side punches and double time will be coming soon
                I'll get you to give some double time demo's in Jersey if you don't mind. I'll see you there tomorrow.
                Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

WOW... O.K., you sure won't be seeing any videos from me for quite awhile...damn, that's some serious stuff....and yes, you should change your name to SUPERNovaSpeedBagger!
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Awesome Kerry! Your changeovers, linking, all of it! Here I've been on the forum for 4 years and still have yet to scratch the surface and here you are, making it look simple and smoth. Great work! Awesome talking with you yesterday as well!
                    sigpic

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2010

The way I improve is keeping the combos simple while practicing

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      Awesome Kerry! Your changeovers, linking, all of it! Here I've been on the forum for 4 years and still have yet to scratch the surface and here you are, making it look simple and smoth. Great work! Awesome talking with you yesterday as well!
                      Thanks md! Likewise on the phone call md As for you scatching the surface, I think you have great skills that are about to click soon in regards to punch drumming.

You could try sticking to 2 or 3 basic punches and maintain the Rhythm the entire song until you get a natural feeling for the change overs. I've only recorded a few punch drumming vids but I've punch to hours of different tunes with a very simple repertoire of punches cause I just love adding the rhythm to my workout. It also prevents me from accelerating to the point of failure. I do miss a lot when practicing and I miss often in my punch drumming vidz, but that's all part of the journey. Picking a good song is key, I learned a lot about that from Alan this past weekend in Jersey. He really shed a lot of light on the punch drumming subject for me.

The beat in many metal songs is hard to detect with all the instrumental controlled chaos going on in the music, so, it makes it hard to hear the Rhythm. Any song will work if it has a strong basic beat. I've watched your latest vid several times but keep getting called away before I get a chance to comment. It looks clean and right on beat to me. With a variety of punches.

Keep on punch drumming Patrick! It's all about the fun doing it!
                      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Roc Stone
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2007

Bang'n beats Bro!
                        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• speedbag4life
                          • Jun 2007

I hope I get to the point some day where I "feel" it as much as you look like you feel it, nova! You make it look so easy...

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Aug 2010

Thanks Roc and SB4Life

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                            Bang'n beats Bro!
                            Thanks Roc! I've always enjoyed your vids and posts Roc so, I appreciate your comment. Thanks Watching mate!

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                            I hope I get to the point some day where I "feel" it as much as you look like you feel it, nova! You make it look so easy...
                            Thank You very much! You will definitely start to feel it with time under the board punch drumming. Your bagging in Jersey impressed me and you said that you haven't had a speed bag conveniently available to you. You'll probably be teaching us all a thing or 2 once you have a set up at home

Keep on Baggin!
                            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• wattsnot
                              • May 2007

Haven't been here for awhile but I like that song and bag together. Excellent!! I need to start again. Just too many hobbies. I will cancel them all to do this, hahaha. Great job! I am going to watch this again.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...