• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forthaney
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2007

Platform questions

Thanks for the replys on my bag questions

Now I am going to set up a platform. I made one a long time ago from 3/4" plywood precut into a 24" circle. It was in my parents garage attached to the rafters. I had to reinforce it with diagonal members to keep it from movong around too much.

Now I notice some people have taken premade platforms and reinforced them with 3/4" plywood on top of the existing 3/4" platform material. These setups use the steel frames that come witht the platforms. It looks like it works well.

I will be attaching mine to the floor joist in my basment. I live in an old victorian style home and the walls are granite stone which are not to fun to drill into.

The floor joist are 8"x3". they are really overkill by todays standards.

If I use the precut plywood, what would be the best finish to put on it polyurethane or fiberglass resin.

I would think a hard finish would be best.

Does anyone have any photos of their platform setup that might help my project?

Thanks
    Paul in Pennsylvania
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

I would think poly is the best since it is hard as nails and is easy to put on. The fiberglass will be a pain with little benefit if any ove rthe poly

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Fiberglass resin is a total pain in the butt to try to get nice and smooth. Using urethane with a cheap foam brush you can get very good results if you lightly sand with about 200 grit between coats and remove the dust with a cloth wetted with paint thinner.

Use three coats and it will last you a long time.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...