Orlando Gathering on Sat 5/26 - We've got a location!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Orlando Gathering on Sat 5/26 - We've got a location!

LA Boxing has agreed to have us as guests on Sat. 5/26

LA BOXING - ORLANDO

1425 Tuskawilla Rd, Ste 209
    Winter Springs, FL 32714 View Map
    (407) 696-9269

They've got two solid, adjustable platforms. Owner Chris Hinton has agreed that we can swap out the chain link swivels temporarily with ball and hook (i've got two we can use). I'll also be bringing a variety of bags ranging from 4x7, 5x8, 6x9, 10x7, 11x8 - probably nothing larger than that as I don't think their boards will accommodate.

The event will be free-form - probably no set agenda (Unless Alan says otherwise ) - we're welcome to stay all day and hang out helping each other and anyone else that wants to show up. We can have the speed bag bible DVD playing on their video system... Should be a great time.

There is an Italian restaurant, chinese restaurant and a variety of other eateries in close proximity (the gym is in a plaza). I'd be up for a more formal meal if anyone wants.

Pictures

Last edited by Tim; 04-14-2007, 02:39 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I have two spare Everlast metal ball & hook swivels I can bring if needed.

That place looks really nice, I wish we had something like that up here. There are lots of great boxing gyms in Chicago but that is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. One of these days I'm going to drive up there when the weather is crappy just so I can check them out.
    Last edited by Chris M; 04-14-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Tim, do you have all the Speed Bag Bible DVD's? I have the whole set and I can bring them if you'd like. I think maybe having the more advanced DVD's playing might be more appropriate.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Orlando Speed Bag gathering

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        LA Boxing has agreed to have us as guests on Sat. 5/26

LA BOXING - ORLANDO

1425 Tuskawilla Rd, Ste 209
        Winter Springs, FL 32714 View Map
        (407) 696-9269

They've got two solid, adjustable platforms. Owner Chris Hinton has agreed that we can swap out the chain link swivels temporarily with ball and hook (i've got two we can use). I'll also be bringing a variety of bags ranging from 4x7, 5x8, 6x9, 10x7, 11x8 - probably nothing larger than that as I don't think their boards will accommodate.

The event will be free-form - probably no set agenda (Unless Alan says otherwise ) - we're welcome to stay all day and hang out helping each other and anyone else that wants to show up. We can have the speed bag bible DVD playing on their video system... Should be a great time.
        Looks like a great place! I'll be sure and bring the club a few books and video sets in appreciation.

The "agenda" of something like this really depends on how many people are there, the reason for they are there, how many speed bag units are available and how many others are around that can help teach either beginners or teach someone with more advanced skills. Other than most people wanting to see me hit, I personally never know what to expect, and I'll flow with whatever the group wants. For large groups, or people who don't know about or use the SBB, I usually talk a little about my "system" of hitting, and explain the basics of punches, elbow strikes, four areas of the bag, rebounds, position, bag setup, difference between techniques and combinations etc.

I might not really have to do that this time, since most people here are already familiar with that.

For people wanting to learn, especially beginners, the smaller bags are pretty much a waste of time, because beginners can't really learn on them. Several speed bag units allow for several teaching stations, (if there is someone else who can teach...) But can also be a pain if someone is constantly pounding away right next to us while we're trying to talk.

If there is a pretty small or medium size group (say 10 to 15...) then I like to spend some personal time with each person for at least 10 -15 minutes 1 on 1. I like them to hit a little so I can watch and listen to their normal punching routine (That lets me see where they are skill wise) and get a sense of what they want to know, what they can learn and maybe figure out how they best learn. Some people learn by seeing, some by hearing, some by counting, some by doing combinations backward - it just depends. I really like everybody to learn at least one or two new techniques or combinations, depending on their skill level. And with this group (forum members) I may actually get to learn a few new things myself, as their are a few here doing some pretty cool stuff I have yet to do. But then again, My left shoulder as yet doesn't allow too much hitting at one time, so I imagine I'll be watching, listening or talking more than hitting too much. I'm still only going about half speed for short periods of time.

I always hope for good turnouts to these things because I personally love getting under the board with people and spend some time teaching "live", instead of keyboarding. I have found that IF someone already knows the "system" in the speed bag bible, terminology and basic philosophy of how I hit, they can really learn a lot in a short time. That should include most members of the board here, which is really great. If there is a boom box or CD player that can get loud enough, maybe I could teach a few tricks on HOW I hit to music. There are a few ways to do that and I'll explain that if anyone is interested.

Thanks, Tim for finding a location. If any of the local members of that gym want to join in, that's fine by me.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Come on Florida folks! I know there are several on here because I've talked to you before, I just don't remember names.

I think this is going to be a lot of fun and a great opportunity to get some tutoring from Alan.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            the smaller bags are pretty much a waste of time, because beginners can't really learn on them.
            Agreed, I'll bring them mostly for "showing off". Since we'll have ball and hook swivels swapping bags out quickly won't be a problem. In addition, I'm hoping we'll get some of the fantastically talented FL folks to show up - who may be able to make good use of the smaller bags.

If there is a pretty small or medium size group (say 10 to 15...) then I like to spend some personal time with each person for at least 10 -15 minutes 1 on 1.
            I think that would be fantastic. Seeing as how I don't know what the turnout will be at this point - I propose we do the following:

The gym hours on Saturdays are 10am - 4pm. I propose we arrive as the gym opens and get everything set up - swivels swapped out, sound check, get the DVD playing on the video system. etc. THey've got a class at 11a.m. While the class is going on we grab some lunch next door (Italian or Chinese). At the end of the class (noon?) we pull some people over and get them involved. Start with a demo , maybe the talk on the basics - then get people under the board for 10-15 minutes at a time. Then repeat as required until 4 pm. Any time where we don't have a crowd it'll just be forum members teaching each other??? Or maybe we block out a time (3-4pm?) and call that the advanced session?

My left shoulder as yet doesn't allow too much hitting at one time, so I imagine I'll be watching, listening or talking more than hitting too much. I'm still only going about half speed for short periods of time.
            I'm fully prepared to do beginner to intermediate instruction. I think I can convey the basics to people - not so much the advanced techniques, but for the turn out I expect, I think that the majority of the participants will be at the basic level.

If there is a boom box or CD player that can get loud enough, maybe I could teach a few tricks on HOW I hit to music. There are a few ways to do that and I'll explain that if anyone is interested.
            They do have a sound system. I'll double check, I imagine it can play CDs. I would love to learn more about that.

Thanks, Tim for finding a location. If any of the local members of that gym want to join in, that's fine by me.
            I think we'll have more non-forum members than members. Chris (gym owner) is hoping to get some exposure for this. I can do some sort of flyers/advertising. Not sure if other local gyms will be willing to cooperate, but I'll give it a shot. We've got some MMA places that probably don't see a local boxing gym as direct competition (gracie, kokopelli,etc.) I'd love to get an Orlando following that meets regularly. I'll post online in a few areas as well (local craigslist, maybe Rossboxing if Ross is ok with it, sherdog.net, crossfit, etc.)
            Last edited by Tim; 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
              Tim, do you have all the Speed Bag Bible DVD's? I have the whole set and I can bring them if you'd like. I think maybe having the more advanced DVD's playing might be more appropriate.
              I've got the whole set

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

see if you can get some video for us to watch. i obviously cant make it because florida is a bit of a treck for me from Canada.
                ________
                5 STAGE GRINDERS
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Demo

Actually for a demo of hitting to music, it is much easier to have a small CD Player right by the bag. It keeps the sound louder right under the board where it's needed, and if I was going to actually teach what I'm doing, versus just demonstrating to music, I'll be turning the music on and off and using several different types of music to show how certain things work. It's really impossible to shout over really loud blariing music to teach. If the attendees want to try and hit to music, it's just easier with a small bag side CD Player that is easier to control than a gym-wide system.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    I've got the whole set
                    ME too. I'll bring a few Books and DVD's for gifts or prizes. Maybe a couple of bags also. I get a pretty good price from some of the companies for that kind of thing.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                      • Oct 2006

its to bad that i live all the way up here in northern california, or i would be right there. somebody tape it!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
                        somebody tape it!
                        Unfortunately at the moment I don't plan on doing video. It's just simply a matter of logistics, we will probably be too busy instructing, assisting, or welcoming etc.

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Turns out that I'm not going to be able to make it. Tim, please give us a good write up as to how it all goes down.

I'm really disappointed because I really really wanted to do this.

Chris

Comment

• SupergeZ
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2007

you could take like a portable video cam along and do some clips, would be awesome

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
                              you could take like a portable video cam along and do some clips, would be awesome
                              I'll see what I can do. The number of confirmed attendees is a bit light at the moment. I'm not sure there's going to be a set of hands to handle it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...