• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forthaney
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2007

Any thoughts on this platform

I was looking into building a platform but I need to attach it to my wall after all.
    Anyway I was looking into these

Anyone have any thoughts. Im not sure what kind of wood the drum is made from though.

What I like is that Allentown, PA is 15 miles from my home. So Im thinking I could pick it up and save on the shipping.

I also noticed that it comes with the plastic swivel. I just orded the pro swivel from title. Do all swivels have the same bolt hole pattern?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

the iBox is a huge hit on these forums if you check out the reviews section ull find many happy customers there.
    ________
    How to roll blunts
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

I love my ibox. See my review here: http://speedbagforum.com/forums/show...highlight=ibox

The drum is 1 1/2 inch MDF but I never even used the drum it came with.

Unless they've changed it recently, the ibox comes with an Everlast chainlink swivel.

And no, the bolt hole patterns are not standard.
      Last edited by Chris M; 04-15-2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• forthaney
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
        I love my ibox. See my review here: http://speedbagforum.com/forums/show...highlight=ibox

The drum is 1 1/2 inch MDF but I never even used the drum it came with.

Unless they've changed it recently, the ibox comes with an Everlast chainlink swivel.

And no, the bolt hole patterns are not standard.
        Wow thanks
        I have the exact same problem as you did ChrisM. I have a hot water heat pipe that is causing me some overhead clearence problems, so I need a set up similar to yours.

Do you think the MDF is ok?

Anyway thanks again. I just burnt my pizza reading all the posts on this platform. "I should eat something better for me anyway"

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by forthaney View Post
          Wow thanks
          I have the exact same problem as you did ChrisM. I have a hot water heat pipe that is causing me some overhead clearence problems, so I need a set up similar to yours.

Do you think the MDF is ok?

Anyway thanks again. I just burnt my pizza reading all the posts on this platform. "I should eat something better for me anyway"
          MDF is fine. You only need to be aware of two problems. First, if you happen to get it wet for any reason, it's done for because it will swell up and crumble. Second, you can't really put any screws into it and expect it to hold really well with smaller screws. I don't even remember what screws came with the MDF, but if you use the longest and largest possible screws (just use the largest wood screws that will still fit through your swivel) you shouldn't have a problem.

The reason I never used the MDF is not because I didn't think it would work well, it was because I had made that really nice drum out of cherry and it was larger and I really wanted to keep it.

Comment

• forthaney
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2007

I agree with what you say. I have been thinking about the MDF and figure I'll use it as is until it fails. I plan on doing what you did and drill thru the metal plate and i-beam to attach my pro swivel. In the mean time I can work on getting a nicer drum.

I have been on the hunt for some sort of (free) material to use for a drum. I was at an old factory this past friday and they had on old work bench with a butcher-block top 2" thick 30" x 72" made from popular. I asked the stationary engineer about it and he told me that no one had dibs on it but he had to ask the shop forman. So I'll get an answer the next time I'm there.

Anyway my point is I could use the MDF until I can make something better (for free would be nice)

Also the Stationary engineer I was talking with told me to take some wooden pallets they had. I didn't realize this but the larger cross members on pallets are made from rough cut oak. These measured 3"x3" and were about 4' long
            I dont have enough to join together to make a drum yet.
            Also the flat slats on some pallets are also oak. but its a thought for some drum ideas or even platform framing material.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Man, if you could get that tabletop, that would be the bomb.

The rough oak would also suit you well, but you'll need to plane it or have it planed. Just make sure you get all the nails out before you do any work on it so you don't ruin the saw or planer blades. A metal detector works well to find nails that have broken off underneath the surface.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...