Can Alan or Dutchman tell me anything abou this bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Can Alan or Dutchman tell me anything abou this bag?

I just came across this vintage speed bag on eBay.
    It's an Everlast 4202. The leather looks nice, and I like the size and shape of the bag (although it's under-inflated in the photo).

But, I'd like an opinion of this bag from Alan, Dutchman, or any other seasoned bagger. Can anyone tell me about this old bag?

Starting bid is $49.97. The bidding ends in 2 days.
    Attached Files
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

This is a post WWII bag, about the same era as the 4200 you picked up I believe (or was that one a kangaroo bag? Those were 1950's). It appears that this is when the smaller "pro" bags started to be offered. These were much smaller than the pre war bags, which were re cataloged in the 4200 series.
    It looks like it's in great shape, a bit pricey for me (but then I'm too used to picking these up for under twenty bucks. Those days I'm afraid are over).If the seams are tight and the leather is good with no splits, the worst that can be wrong is that it needs a new bladder.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      This is a post WWII bag, about the same era as the 4200 you picked up I believe (or was that one a kangaroo bag? Those were 1950's). It appears that this is when the smaller "pro" bags started to be offered. These were much smaller than the pre war bags, which were re cataloged in the 4200 series.
      It looks like it's in great shape, a bit pricey for me (but then I'm too used to picking these up for under twenty bucks. Those days I'm afraid are over).If the seams are tight and the leather is good with no splits, the worst that can be wrong is that it needs a new bladder.
      I got the vintage 4200 Kangaroo speed bag several months back, which looks similar to this bag.

This one is in really good shape as well, and it comes with an old ball hook.
      Yes, it is a little pricey, but I think I'm going to bid on it anyway.

I knew I could count on you or Alan to fill me in on this bag. Thanks so much for the input, Dutchman. I'll keep you posted if I win the auction.
      Attached Files
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

The swivel looks like it's a one piece stamped sheet metal base. Older ones wear better than the modern ones made this way due to the fact that they used a thicker metal to begin with, but they still wear out faster than the machined ones.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          I just came across this vintage speed bag on eBay.
          It's an Everlast 4202. The leather looks nice, and I like the size and shape of the bag (although it's under-inflated in the photo).

But, I'd like an opinion of this bag from Alan, Dutchman, or any other seasoned bagger. Can anyone tell me about this old bag?

Starting bid is $49.97. The bidding ends in 2 days.
          Here are some Bag notes I created years ago when writing the book

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Everlast Bags

4200 Black 9 x 6 Sonic SB Glazed Kidskin leather welted & leather bound. (on Front cover of SBB)

4201 Black 10 x 7 Jet SB " "

4202 Black 11 x 8 Super SB " "

4204 Black 8 x 5 Astro SB

4205 Red 13 x 10 Leatherneck YMCA Horsehide leather, welted.

4207 Red 14 x 9 Military

4208 Red 13 x 8 Budget Not welted (no bead seam)

4210 Red 11 x 8 Genuine Leather (on back cover of SBB)

4212 Red 14 x 9 Genuine Leather

4213 Red 11x 8 Military

4214 Red 10 x 7 Budget (Brown) Not Welted (no leather seam)

4217 Red Plasticon Economy, avoid if possible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had one years ago and liked it a lot, similiar to the Red 11x8 4210.
          hope it helps.

Hey Dutchman, if any of this is wrong, please correct. Some of these bags vanished long ago.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            4205 Red 13 x 10 Leatherneck YMCA Horsehide leather, welted.
            I have it on good authority that this is the Wicked Witch of the West's favorite bag. It's one of my all time favorites as well. Most people reading this will never get to hit one. The Witch has a stockpile of them...

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Okay, you will find the 4205 and 4207 in several different colors, the ones I've seen (or own) are tan, brown, black and red, welted seams depending upon the era they were made. The 4210 was available in brown during the Atlanta Olympics (had one, it was a dud and foolishly I got rid of it. The 4208 has been either black, red or brown, internal stitching. I've not seen a 4213 in anything other than red, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't made in other colors. I don't recall seeing this model before the late 70's tho. The 4217 was supposed to replace the 4216, which was black non welted seams 10x7 that was only sold in the platform kits. The 4217 plastic bag was a dud in more ways than one, and was apparently not repeated after the intial production.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                I have it on good authority that this is the Wicked Witch of the West's favorite bag. It's one of my all time favorites as well. Most people reading this will never get to hit one. The Witch has a stockpile of them...
                Yes, I heard she hits them with that little Dog Todo too....
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I got the vintage 4200 Kangaroo speed bag several months back, which looks similar to this bag.

This one is in really good shape as well, and it comes with an old ball hook.
                  Yes, it is a little pricey, but I think I'm going to bid on it anyway.

I knew I could count on you or Alan to fill me in on this bag. Thanks so much for the input, Dutchman. I'll keep you posted if I win the auction.
                  Dutchman and Paranday are amazing encyclopedia's of speed bag history and equipment. I don't think think we've ever stumped their band!

Good show, Mates!
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• reggabdeeps
                    • Jun 2011

The 4210 was available in brown during the Atlanta Olympics (had one, it was a dud and foolishly I got rid of it.
                    the old TufWear swivel i just purchased came with a Brown Everlast 4210 speedbag, which i was considering getting a replacement bladder for it. after reading this, i am inclined not to bother... the statement does of course raise a question... how can it be a dud and you still regret getting rid of it? is it because of the history behind it?

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Disappointed...

Well, I'm sorry to say that I lost out on this speed bag. I don't bid on eBay very often and I wasn't vigilant after placing my bid. The bidding ended at the same time that I was celebrating my middle son's birthday. I received an email alert that I had been outbid. The bidder waited till the last few minutes of bidding and I lost out on winning the bag by one lousy dollar.

It was such a pretty speed bag. I hope it went to someone worthy... waaaah

I guess I have to look at it this way... it wasn't meant to be mine.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by reggabdeeps View Post
                        the old TufWear swivel i just purchased came with a Brown Everlast 4210 speedbag, which i was considering getting a replacement bladder for it. after reading this, i am inclined not to bother... the statement does of course raise a question... how can it be a dud and you still regret getting rid of it? is it because of the history behind it?
                        Yes that's exactly why I now have sellers remorse about this bag ( I sold it the last time I was unemployed). Production of this model bag (and a few others that were marked for the Olympics) were limited to that year. Now some appear on eBay and Craigslist now and then, but unfortunately my discretionary income is pretty limited at this time. As far as the bag itself, the leather used wasn't real responsive as I recall, and I tried both a TufWear #2 latex rubber bladder and the Everlast plastic bladder that they were selling at that time. Just couldn't get a good bounce out of it.
                        Ms. D, I'm sorry you missed out on getting this, but family takes precedent IMHO, besides another one may pop up sooner than you think. It's happened to me more than once........
                        Last edited by Dutchman; 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Ms. D, I'm sorry you missed out on getting this, but family takes precedent IMHO, besides another one may pop up sooner than you think. It's happened to me more than once........
                          Yes, family definitely comes first. It was a really nice time. It was rather humorous when I got the email alert on my phone while at the restaurant with the family.

I told my son that someone had outbid me on a bag, and he thought I meant h a n d b a g.

And, I was reminded of jumpcannon.*

*From an earlier Thread, entitled: "Look at this great bag I just bought"

Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

......., I was reminded of jumpcannon.*

*From an earlier Thread, entitled: "Look at this great bag I just bought"

Looking at this picture, it is hard to believe he graduated from hitting these beautifully decorated purses to fabricating the most awesome swivel of modern times.

As they say, Truth is stranger than fiction.
                            Last edited by Speedbag; 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...