X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake
    • Mar 2011

The Stranger

Hello brother and sister speedbaggers. I found speedbagcentral.com and speedbagforum.com about 11 months ago. I have learned from the Speedbag Bible, and watching every speedbag video I could find.
    I'm a 49 year old guy who is most happy when I'm hanging in the garage with a speedbag and my dog.
    I'm still using an Everlast Metal Ball Hook Swivel that I bought at Sears in the mid 1970's.
    This "Bible Style" of hitting the bag has really improved my quality of life. Thank you Alan, Tim, and everyone else.
    Jake

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kZAqPEgBzWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Cool Video. I Dig Your Baggin. Your Swivel Sounds Awesome Too. Keep the Videos Coming.
    Last edited by ebozyn; 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Jake
      • Mar 2011

Thanks for fixing my video embedding error ebozyn.
      I have learned some good stuff watching your videos, and I look forward to seeing more.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

WELCOME to the forum, Jake! Wow! Looks like we have another punch-drummer on the forum. Woohoo!

I could be mistaken , but it looks like ebozyn has had a strong influence on your style. Although, I noticed several punches that were reminiscent of many of the speed baggers -- Alan, nova, speedbagataraxis, TommyT, and Brian Tichy (spinsmashpop). Kudos to you. A really enjoyable video. Keep on punching -- and posting!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Jake
          • Mar 2011

MsDeville, your hitting to music videos inspired me to do the same. I also learned from your inward elbow striking.
          I learned lots of different things from different videos. I would like to mention them now, but I have to get back to work. Thanks
          Jake

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great job! Great mix of baggin' and music! Cool tune! My dad used to crank that when it came out back in the day!
            Great combos! All around super impressive and well controlled!
            Is there a trend starting with baggers not wanting to show their faces??
            HAHA!
            Don't be shy! You are kickin' Speed Bag butt! Looking forward to more!
            I haven't posted a vid in a while, so here's my last one ..... but I do think that outside of pure Skunk speed and power..... Punch Drumming is the ultimate in controlling the bag in all its glory and beautiful rhythmic chaos!
            BAG ON!

Comment

• Jake
              • Mar 2011

Hey Spinsmashpop thanks for the positive feedback. I have enjoyed and learned from your videos. I have also seen some of your drum solos on video. Very very cool man!!!

I did want to hide under the hood. One of these days I'll show my ugly mug.

I really love punch drumming. I'm addicted.

I look forward to seeing more of your videos!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=Jake;32078]Hello brother and sister speedbaggers. I found speedbagcentral.com and speedbagforum.com about 11 months ago. I have learned from the Speedbag Bible, and watching every speedbag video I could find.
                I'm a 49 year old guy who is most happy when I'm hanging in the garage with a speedbag and my dog.
                I'm still using an Everlast Metal Ball Hook Swivel that I bought at Sears in the mid 1970's.
                This "Bible Style" of hitting the bag has really improved my quality of life. Thank you Alan, Tim, and everyone else.
                Jake

Welcome Jake. Very cool stuff there. I'm always glad to see another awesome punch drummer join the group. Glad you like the "Bible Style" punching. I'm kinda partial to it myself, and I can tell ya, a speed bag and a dog are the two best friends you can have. Loyal and forgiving to the end.

keep up the great work!.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jake
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks for the nice welcome Alan. When I say hitting "Bible Style" has improved my quality of life, I mean in many ways.
                  I've lifted weights, hit the heavy bag, the speedbag, and worked construction since I was a teenager. I didn't expect this style of hitting to be a big workout, but boy was I wrong.
                  One thing I noticed in the beginning was that my posture changed. I started standing taller. I swear my new posture helped me land some good construction jobs this year. When you naturally stand tall with your head held high, and your shoulders back, I think it makes you look confident, and people pick up on that.
                  The elbow work started tightening up my midsection. That got me into doing ab exercises everyday, which got me to start eating a little healthier.
                  I feel like Bible Style hitting has been like one big finishing exercise. It has etched out muscles, and given me an over all good balanced feeling.
                  Dogs are the best! I have my German Shepherd with me 24/7.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                    Thanks for the nice welcome Alan. When I say hitting "Bible Style" has improved my quality of life, I mean in many ways.
                    I've lifted weights, hit the heavy bag, the speedbag, and worked construction since I was a teenager. I didn't expect this style of hitting to be a big workout, but boy was I wrong.
                    One thing I noticed in the beginning was that my posture changed. I started standing taller. I swear my new posture helped me land some good construction jobs this year. When you naturally stand tall with your head held high, and your shoulders back, I think it makes you look confident, and people pick up on that.
                    The elbow work started tightening up my midsection. That got me into doing ab exercises everyday, which got me to start eating a little healthier.
                    I feel like Bible Style hitting has been like one big finishing exercise. It has etched out muscles, and given me an over all good balanced feeling.
                    Thanks very much for these very interesting insights. I have never thought about, or heard, these inparticular. Very glad it has helped you in original ways.

keep punching!
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2010

Excellent bag beat Jake!

That's some great punch drumming with many advanced combinations! Well done! It's been a while since I've checked in on the forum so I've just watched this while waiting for our evening Christmas Dinner gathering! I'll definitely keep an eye out for more of your vidz and I'll check this one out again closer!

It's great to have another punch drummer among the ranks and your are right on beat to the music!

Keep the vidz coming Jake! Welcome to the forum

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you forum members! Bag on people!

Thanks for posting Jake!
                      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Jake
                        • Mar 2011

Hey Novaspeedbagger, thanks for the welcome. Your videos have been very helpful to me. Especially the last one I saw with you linking the 4-way out and in elbows, and throwing in the hammer punches.

Next time I get a video that feels right I will post it, but when I try to hard to make a good punch drumming video, it rarely comes out any good.

That stranger video was first take. At the intro to the song I was really feeling it, so I backed it up and pressed the record button on my camera. I didn't think about what I was going to do. I just kind of got lost in the song, and forgot about the camera running. Sometimes I find wearing the hood really lets me block everything out, and feel the music.

Jake

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey Novaspeedbagger, thanks for the welcome. Your videos have been very helpful to me. Especially the last one I saw with you linking the 4-way out and in elbows, and throwing in the hammer punches.

Next time I get a video that feels right I will post it, but when I try to hard to make a good punch drumming video, it rarely comes out any good.
                          That stranger video was first take. At the intro to the song I was really feeling it, so I backed it up and pressed the record button on my camera. I didn't think about what I was going to do. I just kind of got lost in the song, and forgot about the camera running. Sometimes I find wearing the hood really lets me block everything out, and feel the music.

Jake
                          Hey Jake, you're right, when you "try" to make a punch drumming video it is a lot more "stressful".

I suggest you just forget about the camera. Just work out on the bag, punching to music, letting the rhythm be your guide. Feel the music, feel the bag beat and just do it. I would often hit to the same song 8 or 10 times in a row (..back in my more obsessive days) and forget about the "taping" of it. After a while you won't even think about the camera or trying to "do it right without misses".

..and if you miss, no big deal. Just keep punching, which emphasizes the "improvisional" art of punch drumming. You will find that you can punch to a song 10 times and get 10 totally different versions. Over time you will find certain combinations really sound great in certain phrases or parts of that song, and then I normally try to do "that same combo beat" at the same place in the song again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's always fun to try!

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

That stranger video was first take. At the intro to the song I was really feeling it, so I backed it up and pressed the record button on my camera. I didn't think about what I was going to do. I just kind of got lost in the song, and forgot about the camera running.

I can certainly relate.

I've watched and listened to your video several times now. I love the sound of it. And when the song picks up the beat around the 1-minute mark, you're dead on. Looks and sounds great!

Keep on doin' the impromptu vids. They're the best!

When I say hitting "Bible Style" has improved my quality of life, I mean in many ways.
                            Again, I can relate. Speed bagging makes me feel great!

Speed Bagging – the Wonder Cure

Oh, and here's a picture of one of my dogs – Jessie – who has been hanging out at my platform lately. She lays at my feet. When I stop punching, she'll nudge me with her nose. She's an awesome dog.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Jake
                              • Mar 2011

Jessie is a good looking dog!

When I hang out in the garage hitting the bag, I always make time to play hockey with my dog Jake.

He plays goalie. I shoot chunks of wood at him, and he stops them with his paws. I used to have a goalie net in the garage, that's how our game started.

He loves playing hockey as much as I love hitting the bag. So I always make time for doghockey.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...