• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Historical Nichols swivel on ebay

For those wanting a bit of history, here is a very good looking old time
    RARE Nicols Model 337 Speed, Striking, Punching Bag Swivel Hook - Nicol's 1900

expires pretty quick if you are interested.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Johnny O
    • Apr 2011

I looked at that swivel Allen, but the price was too high for me.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

One of two things will happen with this. Either it will be picked up by a sports memorabilia dealer (not really likely since it's priced a bit high) or it will wind up being relisted at a lower price next week. We shall see. It's a really nice piece, but like what has been pointed out before it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. This is one of the later models , essentially it's the rope swivel that has been factory modified to a ball hook.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Dutchman, I really don't like the hollow ball aspect. Is there any particular old time swivel you feel is a good hitter? Wonder what became of the ball bearing swivels seen in the early patent record, were they ever produced?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          One of two things will happen with this. Either it will be picked up by a sports memorabilia dealer (not really likely since it's priced a bit high) or it will wind up being relisted at a lower price next week. We shall see. It's a really nice piece, but like what has been pointed out before it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. This is one of the later models , essentially it's the rope swivel that has been factory modified to a ball hook.
          I already have a nichols rope swivel, (without rope) and this looks exactly like it except it has an S-hook attached. Looks to be in better condition also.

I'm really fighting with myself to not snatch this up just to bring it to the gathering and let people give it a try..

(yes, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes... AHH!)
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            Dutchman, I really don't like the hollow ball aspect. Is there any particular old time swivel you feel is a good hitter? Wonder what became of the ball bearing swivels seen in the early patent record, were they ever produced?
            I haven't hit too many what would be considered "old time swivel" I can recall hitting bags on a NonPereil ring, and a J C Higgins , and maybe one or two others. From my recollection, they were all about the same. Remember they were all what we now consider "large" bags on a rebound ring.

Comment

• ebozyn
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              I already have a nichols rope swivel, (without rope) and this looks exactly like it except it has an S-hook attached. Looks to be in better condition also.

I'm really fighting with myself to not snatch this up just to bring it to the gathering and let people give it a try..

(yes, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes... AHH!)
              Go for it Alan.

If people don't start bidding on it and drive the price up, that isn't a horrible price for that rare of an item.

I feel like the devil on your shoulder here. HaHa

Who ever took the photos knew what they were doing.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ebozyn; 01-27-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                The one thing I DO like about the hollow ball is the bolting of the eyeshank inside. I hate the set screw in the everlast ball. You can never find the right size and the inner hole of the screw strips out very easily, cause you to have to drill it out. What a pain. there has to be an easier way. The plastic ball went to the screw in shank, which was not an improvement.
                Attached Files
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2010

That Classic swivel could be featured in the intro to your new Blu-Ray Video of The Speed Bag Bible: The New Testament.

I Picture it Leather Bound.

That would be cool.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                    That Classic swivel could be featured in the intro to your new Blu-Ray Video of The Speed Bag Bible: The New Testament.

That would be cool.
                    YES!

What do you say, Alan? Is a Revised Standard Edition of the Speed Bag Bible something you've thought about? The Blu-Ray disc idea sounds great. Zaza could act as producer/director.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

That would be cool.
                      That volume would be required to hold all the new, advanced combinations you're throwing down lately.

(...In the past I have been contacted by people asking "...what kind of Bible is that?" this is what I tell them)

The Speed Bag Bible,

Saving Souls one punch at a time.

"..as for me an my house, we shall follow the speed bag"

Punchiviticus 3:2:1
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2010

That volume would be required to hold all the new, advanced combinations you're throwing down lately.

(...In the past I have been contacted by people asking "...what kind of Bible is that?" this is what I tell them)

The Speed Bag Bible,

Saving Souls one punch at a time.

"..as for me an my house, we shall follow the speed bag"

Punchiviticus 3:2:1
                        I don't have a problem with that.

I guess what a person would do is start compiling a ton of new combos and you could sort through it all and see if there's enough to do something with.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I don't have a problem with that.

I guess what a person would do is start compiling a ton of new combos and you could sort through it all and see if there's enough to do something with.
                          I have already done that and yes there is plenty to add to the chapter 10 "advanced combinations". But you can't just look at "new combinations" from a numbers standpoint. Many of your new combinations are just slight variations on a theme, and there are probably thousands of ways to "tinker" with a variation or concept. I look more to the CORE movement or concept, and then reference a few variations. Here are a few so far

Shadow or Phantom Punching (basically a FSP or SSP that travels under the elbow of the other arm). Also could conceive of a "Shadow Elbow" as the FSP punches directly over an outward elbow of the other arm. I'm not convinced that is a stand alone move however. I have seen several people do it but at this point I think it is more of a varation of the FSP than the ES.

Fist Rolling Reversals. (Changing the normal direction of the fists of a F-Roll and R-Roll)

Advance the S-TES to allow for the third punch (2nd fist) to be a Hook Punch as well as a SSP. Could also be a "Fist slap" with palm side of fist hitting the bag. This happens when the elbow of that arm is down close to the side of the body, first seen by me when Deano showed up. (* When the hook fist position is used, the palm faces the floor, and elbow comes up away from the body, if you lower the elbow, your fist will also turn a bit and bring the palm side of the fist as the contact area. Not good for a power punch, but works OK on speed bag)

Upward Elbow Strike. Several ideas on this, but I haven't cornered it myself enough to full understand what is or isn't possible. It is easier to DO than it is to get out of. I haven't mastered the move to get my arm out of the way fast enough after the upward elbow hits, and I also find the bag hitting my forearm more than the point of elbow.

Double, Triple Bump Elbow movements.

Spins and Traps. Especially the variations of elbow contacts that can be created with multiple spins. I addressed that a bit in the MA chapter but I see now there is much more to it than what I knew or did in 1992-95, and it can be brought into the more standard speed bag routine.

More variations of combinations including the FDP (upward moving fists, thanks Dee) and Four-way Elbow strikes, such as the amazing Out-In 4 non stop combinations with one rebound inbetween.

Possible rhythmic variations of bag beat within combinations. (Thanks G-Town and his multi-accented fist rolling) (* The rhythmic pattern of virtually every speed bag technique is pretty much set and not changeable. For instance, a FDP will have the second fist sound a bit louder than the first and it's almost impossible to make the first (lead) fist have a louder, more pronounced accent, than the second fist. Same thing in an O-TES. You cannot make the lead elbow (first contact surface in that technique) sound louder than the last fist, or accent the middle contact (lead fist) of the last. To try an make them louder will mean you have to hit the bag harder, which will make it louder but add bag speed, changing the timing of the combo.
                          G-Town is the first person I've ever seen do that with a F-Roll, which normally has every fist sound the same. Accenting any single punch to make it louder will add speed to the movement, making the roll faster, but he has mastered a way to "dead hand" the next punch and keep the bag speed the same. Amazing. Close your eyes and your will hear him make varied bag beats off the roll, but the speed will not change. That is very impressive fist control!

That's just a few. And my task would be to write that all up and create sensible practice exercises for each concept, in and out of the Basic Rhythm.

So.... how do you make abbreviations for shadow punches, double bump elbows, directional changes of the FDP, RDP, or Fist Rolling, or indicate a spin/trap, or multiple body spins that Skunk and Scissorhands do, or Side punching "fist slaps" with elbow down etc, etc.

Doing them may very well be easier than writing them Actually I don't know yet, cause I can't do all of them yet and you guys just keep piling it on

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, figure out how to re-write the completed book, How many pages all the above will take and calculate the additional printing costs for the additional 10-15 pages (pictures??). Then calculate how many people will ever really advance their skills to the point of really needing, using or understanding that information. How many People can comfortably decipher the more advanced written exercises in the book now, and then be willing to decipher even more complicated combination symbols? I have no idea about that, but I can guess from the questions I often get about it - very few. I get emails weekly through Speedbagcentral from people that say they have and love the book, have the video....and then ask questions that tells me they haven't read or watched half of it.

..And then how many will actually pay to purchase it, rather than get it free on a few youtube demo's?.

I would love to say all of this needs to be documented for it's own sake, but the realities of publishing, costs, marketing and a mass market that needs it... that is another story. I do make personal scribblings of it and ponder how to do each and every new thing I see, but I'm not sure most of it will ever see the dark of print. Most people want "quick and easy", not complicated text and extended learning time. In all honesty, Book and DVD sales have dropped to the point of questioning current expenditures for reproduction. Unless I can be convinced there is really a way to make writing and publishing it worthwhile, especially when the realities of free access to youtube and tons of "how to" video's is so readily available.

And lately I have spent many, many many hours chasing online file sharing sites like rapidshare, megaload ad nauseum for illegal uploads and downloads of video files as well as book files. To date, Seven down, about 573 to go.

At some point you will realize that if the world wants everything for FREE then you might not want to spend any more of your own money to give it them. I realize I'm thinking out loud here but I do struggle with the real desire of producing a Second Edition or perhaps a "companion series" to the original Speed Bag Bible (Book & video) against the realities of costs in time, effort and hard dollars...and who really needs it AND the reality of it all being digitally ripped off, uploaded and sold by others on the cheap in the online "underground" within a week.

And I am not directing this toward any forum members, for I realize most here really do care about this information, however the entire membership numbers of this forum would not convince any publisher to spend money on publications. There just isn't enough numbers or sales from a business point of view. It is much easier now to self publish than it was in 1995, and also easier to see it all reproduced and pretty much given away by others who care not one wit about your time, effort, skill or personal funds spent to produce it. And that is the blessings and the curse of the internet.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2010

I have already done that and yes there is plenty to add to the chapter 10 "advanced combinations". But you can't just look at "new combinations" from a numbers standpoint. Many of your new combinations are just slight variations on a theme, and there are probably thousands of ways to "tinker" with a variation or concept. I look more to the CORE movement or concept, and then reference a few variations. Here are a few so far

Shadow or Phantom Punching (basically a FSP or SSP that travels under the elbow of the other arm). Also could conceive of a "Shadow Elbow" as the FSP punches directly over an outward elbow of the other arm. I'm not convinced that is a stand alone move however. I have seen several people do it but at this point I think it is more of a varation of the FSP than the ES.

Fist Rolling Reversals. (Changing the normal direction of the fists of a F-Roll and R-Roll)

Advance the S-TES to allow for the third punch (2nd fist) to be a Hook Punch as well as a SSP. Could also be a "Fist slap" with palm side of fist hitting the bag. This happens when the elbow of that arm is down close to the side of the body, first seen by me when Deano showed up. (* When the hook fist position is used, the palm faces the floor, and elbow comes up away from the body, if you lower the elbow, your fist will also turn a bit and bring the palm side of the fist as the contact area. Not good for a power punch, but works OK on speed bag)

Upward Elbow Strike. Several ideas on this, but I haven't cornered it myself enough to full understand what is or isn't possible. It is easier to DO than it is to get out of. I haven't mastered the move to get my arm out of the way fast enough after the upward elbow hits, and I also find the bag hitting my forearm more than the point of elbow.

Double, Triple Bump Elbow movements.

Spins and Traps. Especially the variations of elbow contacts that can be created with multiple spins. I addressed that a bit in the MA chapter but I see now there is much more to it than what I knew or did in 1992-95, and it can be brought into the more standard speed bag routine.

More variations of combinations including the FDP (upward moving fists, thanks Dee) and Four-way Elbow strikes, such as the amazing Out-In 4 non stop combinations with one rebound inbetween.

Possible rhythmic variations of bag beat within combinations. (Thanks G-Town and his multi-accented fist rolling) (* The rhythmic pattern of virtually every speed bag technique is pretty much set and not changeable. For instance, a FDP will have the second fist sound a bit louder than the first and it's almost impossible to make the first (lead) fist have a louder, more pronounced accent, than the second fist. Same thing in an O-TES. You cannot make the lead elbow (first contact surface in that technique) sound louder than the last fist, or accent the middle contact (lead fist) of the last. To try an make them louder will mean you have to hit the bag harder, which will make it louder but add bag speed, changing the timing of the combo.
                            G-Town is the first person I've ever seen do that with a F-Roll, which normally has every fist sound the same. Accenting any single punch to make it louder will add speed to the movement, making the roll faster, but he has mastered a way to "dead hand" the next punch and keep the bag speed the same. Amazing. Close your eyes and your will hear him make varied bag beats off the roll, but the speed will not change. That is very impressive fist control!

That's just a few. And my task would be to write that all up and create sensible practice exercises for each concept, in and out of the Basic Rhythm.

So.... how do you make abbreviations for shadow punches, double bump elbows, directional changes of the FDP, RDP, or Fist Rolling, or indicate a spin/trap, or multiple body spins that Skunk and Scissorhands do, or Side punching "fist slaps" with elbow down etc, etc.

Doing them may very well be easier than writing them Actually I don't know yet, cause I can't do all of them yet and you guys just keep piling it on

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, figure out how to re-write the completed book, How many pages all the above will take and calculate the additional printing costs for the additional 10-15 pages (pictures??). Then calculate how many people will ever really advance their skills to the point of really needing, using or understanding that information. How many People can comfortably decipher the more advanced written exercises in the book now, and then be willing to decipher even more complicated combination symbols? I have no idea about that, but I can guess from the questions I often get about it - very few. I get emails weekly through Speedbagcentral from people that say they have and love the book, have the video....and then ask questions that tells me they haven't read or watched half of it.

..And then how many will actually pay to purchase it, rather than get it free on a few youtube demo's?.

I would love to say all of this needs to be documented for it's own sake, but the realities of publishing, costs, marketing and a mass market that needs it... that is another story. I do make personal scribblings of it and ponder how to do each and every new thing I see, but I'm not sure most of it will ever see the dark of print. Most people want "quick and easy", not complicated text and extended learning time. In all honesty, Book and DVD sales have dropped to the point of questioning current expenditures for reproduction. Unless I can be convinced there is really a way to make writing and publishing it worthwhile, especially when the realities of free access to youtube and tons of "how to" video's is so readily available.

And lately I have spent many, many many hours chasing online file sharing sites like rapidshare, megaload ad nauseum for illegal uploads and downloads of video files as well as book files. To date, Seven down, about 573 to go.

At some point you will realize that if the world wants everything for FREE then you might not want to spend any more of your own money to give it them. I realize I'm thinking out loud here but I do struggle with the real desire of producing a Second Edition or perhaps a "companion series" to the original Speed Bag Bible (Book & video) against the realities of costs in time, effort and hard dollars...and who really needs it AND the reality of it all being digitally ripped off, uploaded and sold by others on the cheap in the online "underground" within a week.

And I am not directing this toward any forum members, for I realize most here really do care about this information, however the entire membership numbers of this forum would not convince any publisher to spend money on publications. There just isn't enough numbers or sales from a business point of view. It is much easier now to self publish than it was in 1995, and also easier to see it all reproduced and pretty much given away by others who care not one wit about your time, effort, skill or personal funds spent to produce it. And that is the blessings and the curse of the internet.
                            That makes sense.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

The Devil made me do it

what can I say......

Attached Files
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...