• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

wood

ive been looking at different woods to use for the drum on my new setup and was wondering what you think would be the best to go for, with a lowish budget in mind.

i was tlking 2 my dad and he suggested block board, because its pretty cheap, but it doesnt look that brilliant tbh, and maple is just rediculously expensive for the quantity i want which is around 2 inches thick and 24 inch diameter.

gona go the scrapyard for the metal so that shouldnt be to expensive!
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Ninja420 came up with a great idea last week. He suggested using a 4x4. While pine is not the best looking wood, using 4x4's would give you a 3 1/2 inch thick drum.

You would only need 5 4x4x8' to make a 36" platform. The only thing is you would need to plane the wood on all 4 sides to get them smooth and square.

I think that's about as cheap as you can get to give yourself a nice thick platform.

If you want some quality hardwoods, I'd prefer hard maple, cherry, hickory, or oak, in that order, in order of density and beauty. Hickory would probably be the cheapest of those. Keep in mind that you may have to have the wood custom cut at a sawmill in order to get thickness over an inch or so. You could buy the thinner planks and laminate them with the layers perpendicular to each other for strength.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...