X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jason_m_amy
    • Jan 2007

Large speed bag video

While checking out Billy Mack's slick adjustomatic platform, I came across this video:

Fred shows you some great exercises with two types of speed bags. Learn to avoid and react to punches thrown at you and the proper method of hitting a speed...

I really like his big speed bag setup, and how he can actually 'box' with it. What kind/size bag is that?

-Jason
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Man, I saw that same video and did the same thing last night. I cranked my platform all the way up and put a foot long cable on one of my bags, it was a real hoot...

Comment

• SupergeZ
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2007

bet you have to give that beast a heck of a wallop to keep it going!

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

The bag looks like it's a Everlast 4205, which they no longer make(I have two of them). It was the largest bag they made in recent times, although they did make larger ones up until the early 1960's.

Comment

• ronaldo
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2007

HI folks, from Spain! Im new to this forum and to speed bags. I am planning on buying a speed bag this week. I box, and I own a heavy bag, I never tried a speed bag in my life btw... but it seems awesome. Anyways I love this big speed bag the mexican guy has on the video. Why did they stop making this big ones? and why everyone today uses the small ones? Are the small ones better for some reason? I have a lot of questions lol

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ronaldo View Post
            HI folks, from Spain! Im new to this forum and to speed bags. I am planning on buying a speed bag this week. I box, and I own a heavy bag, I never tried a speed bag in my life btw... but it seems awesome. Anyways I love this big speed bag the mexican guy has on the video. Why did they stop making this big ones? and why everyone today uses the small ones? Are the small ones better for some reason? I have a lot of questions lol

Welcome to the forum!

There are still big bags out there, and I enjoy using them very much. I'm not sure why the big bags aren't as popular as they used to be. The smaller bags are much faster and give more of an aerobic exercise than the larger bags do.

I have a huge Title 10X12 that I really enjoy hitting sometimes http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html and a Boes 14" that I don't like nearly as much: http://www.canbox.ca/c265697p16712761.2.html

I do have an assortment of much smaller bags as well. The different size bags give different types of workouts and the smaller ones are more popular now. It does take more skill to hit the smaller bags also.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
              and a Boes 14" that I don't like nearly as much: http://www.canbox.ca/c265697p16712761.2.html
              Chris,
              What don't you like about the boes? I've never hit one....

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                The bag looks like it's a Everlast 4205, which they no longer make(I have two of them). It was the largest bag they made in recent times, although they did make larger ones up until the early 1960's.
                Everlast 4205 discontinued? I could have sworn I saw an Everlast 4205 (13x8 bag) for Sale at Academy Sporting Goods the other day. Long Red Bag, not as fat around as the bag this guy is using. That appears to be more like the Everlast "Military Bag" 4213 , but that is 11x8 and his bag appears to be larger than that.

On second thought, Maybe it was an Everlast 4208 I saw there.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 05-20-2007, 08:16 AM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ronaldo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2007

Thanks Chris. This is a very helpful forum. Im gonna buy a small speed bag this week because at my local shop they only have small bags. I hope it´s ok for a beginner to start off with the smallest size of bag, what do you guys think?

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Thanks Chris. This is a very helpful forum. Im gonna buy a small speed bag this week because at my local shop they only have small bags. I hope it´s ok for a beginner to start off with the smallest size of bag, what do you guys think?
                    Depends on what "small" is. You definitely don't want to start on the smallest bags. If it's a 9x6 or 10x7 those are perfect. I don't know that i've ever seen any of the truly small bags (8x5,7x4,6x4, etc.) at a retailer, you have to go out of your way to get them.

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Chris,
                      What don't you like about the boes? I've never hit one....
                      It's hard to describe, but the bag is really long with a belly that is much smaller than it should be I think. Whereas the Title is nice and fat. Also, the Boes is so long I can't even use it on my Ibox because it hits the back wall. It's supposed to be a 14", but I think it's longer and once it's hung on my swivel, the bottom of the bag just contacts the wall. The drum on my Ibox is 32" and the drum is about an inch or so from the wall which makes the radius from the center of my board at least 16". That makes the overall length of the Boes when it's hung just over 17". A skinny bag that hangs down 17" is just too long and not any fun.
                      Last edited by Chris M; 05-20-2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

I haven't seen a new 4205, or 4207 for sale in a store for several years. I have seen 4208's which apparently is a less expensive version of the 4207.Everlast doesn't have any references to them on their web site, at least as far as I have been able to discern.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                          • May 2007

Welcome, or should I say bienvenido a el speedbag forum. I agree with Tim, you'll be fine with a standard size bag, the smaller ones are usually ordered from catalogs. The one this guy is using, oh and by the way he appears to be Native American, is bigger than most and has the added dimension of defensive recoil. However, in my opinion nothing sharpens timing,accuracy, and reflexes like the smaller bags. I've got both but prefer the smoothness of the smaller one. That's just me though, you will find many of these skilled athletes making music on those bigger ones synching their rythmn to the beat. If you need an example of a small bag look up my vid on homemade platforms.

Comment

• ronaldo
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • May 2007

Hola, gracias hispanicmakingpanic veo que sabes mucho de boxeo
                            I still didn't get my bag because my only supplier is still waiting to receive his platforms and i don't have the time to make one myself. Im gonna get a small bag for now, the whole setup will cost me €103 is a bit expensive but Im sure is worth it. I´ll keep u guys updated.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Mar 2007

welcome 2 the forum dude! got a link to the platform your buying Ronaldo? im currently looking for a new 1, was going to build one but dont really have the expertese to do it properly so have been looking to buy a commercial one and upgrade the drum

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...