X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint
    • Apr 2007

6 Bags

Here's the 6 bags I have now. I measured and weighed the bags. The heights don't include the loops. From left to right:

1. Jim Bradley - 12" x 9" - 12 1/8 oz.
    2. Jim Bradley - 9" x 6.5" - 7 1/4 oz.
    3. Everlast 4200 - 8" x 7" - 8 3/4 oz.
    4. Everlast 8x5 - 8" x 6" - 6 7/8 oz.
    5. Lonsdale Peanut - 8.5" x 5.5" - 6 5/8 oz.
    6. Cleto Reyes XS - 7" x 4.5" - 5 3/8 oz.

The big Jim Bradley weighs a ton, and the loop is starting to wear through. I think it will fly off the swivel soon. I hope I see it coming. The smaller J.B. is a nice bag. Real soft and easy on the hands. The 4200 is on its last legs. The Everlast 8x5 is new and I haven't put much time on it. The quality of the leather on it is the worst of any of the bags. I love the shape of the Lonsdale and the Cleto Reyes. Hitting the litle Cleto a lot now and having a blast. It's so fast. The best leather of any of the bags. The loop on it is an inch long where all the other bags' loops are about half an inch long. But it has the sturdiest loop of them all.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Clint; 05-17-2007, 12:46 AM.
  • Jonzel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2007

Is it me or is your everlast 4200 ridiculously over inflated?

Comment

• Jonzel
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2007

So you don't like the quality of the leather of the everlast Professional.
      Does anyone else feel the same way?
      I was going to get one because I've heard good things about them, but I don't want a bag with crapy leather.

Comment

• Clint
        • Apr 2007

Nah. I keep my bags on the soft side. That 4200 is just a fat little bag, with a little air, or a lot.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jonzel View Post
          Is it me or is your everlast 4200 ridiculously over inflated?
          That's the natural shape of the 4200. The speed bag outline in the web site logo is modeled after a 4200

Last edited by Tim; 05-11-2007, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I was going to get one because I've heard good things about them, but I don't want a bag with crapy leather.
            I prefer soft leather, which the Title (esp. Classic) bags and Top Contender bags have. The Everlast feels more durable, but I don't need a bag that's built like a tank. That being said, I still own two Everlast bags...

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Clint View Post
              I think it will fly off the swivel soon. I hope I see it coming.
              Hope it's not a reverse punch when it does let go That thing is absolutely massive. The biggest bag I've hit is 9 oz, and while a mere extra 3 oz doesn't sound like much, it adds quite a bit of momentum!

Comment

• jaguiler
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2007

The Everlast Pro leather seems to be fine... I don't have any issues with it .... no doubt it will hold up to a beating and it is really buttery soft... mine just shows a little cracking - but that I believe is normal nad my basement is realyl dry....I should have put some conditioner on the leather - but I am not to worried about it

Comment

• Clint
                  • Apr 2007

I love the history and the tradition of Everlast and am not knocking their products. But the Professional Speed Bags are made in China, a place not reknowned for the quality of its manufacturing. On my bag, the 6 panels look like they're from 6 different animals, none of them with great skin A couple of the panels would look more at home on an NFL football. I even conditioned it with mink oil.

Hi Tim,

Like I said before, hitting that big Jim Bradley is like hitting a watermelon. I'm more afraid of it letting go after the first rebound of a front punch. I think it'll knock me cold. From looking at some of your posts, I think you'd really enjoy thumping it. It is heavy. Even if I pound on it it's hard to get any speed out of it. Maybe I should just fill it with sand and make a maize bag out of it.
                  Last edited by Clint; 05-17-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2007

I love the history and the tradition of Everlast and am not knocking their products. But the Professional Speed Bags are made in China, a place not reknowned for the quality of its manufacturing. On my bag, the 6 panels look like they're from 6 different animals, none of them with great skin A couple of the panels would look more at home on an NFL football. I even conditioned it with mink oil.

interesting.... I would have returned it..... compared to this my Everlast Pro 10x7 and 6x9 are perfect...... the leather is really soft all around.... no issues here... sucks - sounds like you got a bad one...

Comment

• Roscoe
                      • May 2006

No Likey Everlast Pro Bag

Feels like it was made from Godzilla hide and looks like W.C. Fields' liver.

Roscoe
                      Last edited by Roscoe; 06-28-2007, 04:12 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

My Everlast 4200 has the same cracks, I think it's the coating on the leather and I've come to dislike the bag over my other Everlast Pro 6x9 bag.

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Recently the domestic leather tanneries(under mandates from the EPA) have had to alter the processes used to tan leather. While eviormentally friendly, I'm afraid it's left everyone who uses leather an inferior product to work with. I used to work for a pipe organ builder (and still do some contract work on my own) and we noticed the drop in quality nearly ten years ago. We use leather in various componets, from small pouches to large pressure regulators, and being stable and air tight is a must. It has been a real challenge getting quality leather, period.
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

The Pipe Organ

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            Recently the domestic leather tanneries(under mandates from the EPA) have had to alter the processes used to tan leather. While eviormentally friendly, I'm afraid it's left everyone who uses leather a inferior product to work with. I used to work for a pipe organ builder (and still do some contract work on my own) and we noticed the drop in quality nearly ten years ago. We use leather in various componets, from small pouches to large pressure regulators, and being stable and air tight is a must. It has been a real challenge getting quality leather, period.
                            I truly love the full thunderous sound of Pipe Organ

I sincerely hope the board recognizes the artistic ability you must have to work on such a magnificent human invention. In it's day, the building was designed to hold the organ.

Although not for everybody, Me and my speed bags often listen to J. S. Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor. (* A simple piece that even a 10 year old can play it...)
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roscoe
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              I truly love the full thunderous sound of.....

I sincerely hope the board recognizes the artistic ability you must have....

Although not for everybody, Me and my speed bags often listen to....

With all due respect Speedbag, you should have "Renaissance man" below your signature

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...