• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

ebay items from yesteryear..

Today ebay is full of vintage speed bag equipment, just a few samples below. (links may be dead after feb 2013 due to auction or sales closing)

Vintage US Army Wilson Punching Bag

Wooden Rebound Ring, Swivel and Bag

Vintage Wilson Metal Rebound Ring and Everlast 4200 Pro Bag

1940 vintage punching bag (beat to death) with very interesting circular swivel

Two Everlast vintage bags, 4214 (10x7) and 4208 (13x10)
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Would love to have the Wilson, really a choice piece. Unfortunately I can't afford the prices these are asking for these days. The 4200 looks pretty good too. I question whether or not it was actually used on that ring, I don't see any marks on the bag that would indicate that. Not a bad thing tho.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Would love to have the Wilson, really a choice piece. Unfortunately I can't afford the prices these are asking for these days. The 4200 looks pretty good too. I question whether or not it was actually used on that ring, I don't see any marks on the bag that would indicate that. Not a bad thing tho.
      On that Wilson Army bag....it looks like the valve is on the neck of the bag? Is that right? ...and if so, where would you ever get a replacement bladder?
      I've never seen that befor, but I like it!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Yeah that's a problem. Neck valves were used during the transition period when the manufacturers switched from inflation tubes under the laces to eventually putting the valve on the bottom. Someone here mentioned that they've seen bags made in Australia that have neck valves. Someone else replaced a bad valve on one of those bladders with some fancy surgery, grafting the valve off a new bladder onto the original bladder. I've seen a lot of people that have punched a hole in the bottom of the bag in order to use a modern bladder. Historically I don't like to see that, but if you want to actually use the bag it may be your only choice when the time comes. Those bags used the butyl rubber bladders which are pretty tough. I've seen thirty and forty year old bags with the original bladders that were still being used regularly, but then again nothing lasts forever.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yeah that's a problem. Neck valves were used during the transition period when the manufacturers switched from inflation tubes under the laces to eventually putting the valve on the bottom. Someone here mentioned that they've seen bags made in Australia that have neck valves. Someone else replaced a bad valve on one of those bladders with some fancy surgery, grafting the valve off a new bladder onto the original bladder. I've seen a lot of people that have punched a hole in the bottom of the bag in order to use a modern bladder. Historically I don't like to see that, but if you want to actually use the bag it may be your only choice when the time comes. Those bags used the butyl rubber bladders which are pretty tough. I've seen thirty and forty year old bags with the original bladders that were still being used regularly, but then again nothing lasts forever.
          The Aussie Bag That Deano gave me has the air valve in the neck. The "laces" are a zipper, with the air valve underneath.

But the Jim Bradley bladders on their site now have it at the bottom.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Here are some pics of what Alan is talking about. I use an awl to get my zipper down (awaiting comments). There isn't a "pull", like on a regular zipper.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Interesting stuff....doesn't seem very practical though.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Here are some pics of what Alan is talking about. I use an awl to get my zipper down (awaiting comments). There isn't a "pull", like on a regular zipper.
                I pulled down the zipper on my bag and looked, and I think your air nozzle is bigger than mine... I wonder if that matters.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks for the generous comment, but at my age, my air nozzle just isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                    Thanks for the generous comment, but at my age, my air nozzle just isn't what it used to be.
                    I've noticed older bags lose air and go flatter faster. I got one of those Pills (from my older brother..) crushed it up and rubbed it all over one of my speed bags, and it didn't leak at all, stayed really firm, every after a couple of hours of non-stop punching

But after four hours I got worried and took it to a sporting goods store where they deflated it just in time.

speed bags hate getting old as bad as humans do.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag Man
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      I've noticed older bags lose air and go flatter faster. I got one of those Pills (from my older brother..) crushed it up and rubbed it all over one of my speed bags, and it didn't leak at all, stayed really firm, every after a couple of hours of non-stop punching

But after four hours I got worried and took it to a sporting goods store where they deflated it just in time.

speed bags hate getting old as bad as humans do.
                      Please cancel my membership and refund purchase price. Only so much the Bag Man can stand; or understand for that matter.
                      "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I wonder what they used and how they inflated small bags before the invention or rubber. I suspect animal intestines of something, and perhaps the bags in pictures of the gladiator days were "stuffed" with fill, not inflated.

?
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Anyone ever try filling a bag with pure Nitrogen? Wonder what that might be like? Any takers?

Pure nitrogen has been used to inflate critical tire applications for years, primarily because it doesn't support moisture or combustion. These include racing tires (IndyCar, Formula 1, NASCAR), aircraft tires (commercial and military) and heavy-duty equipment tires (earthmovers and mining equipment). The challenge facing nitrogen inflation hasn't been its application, it's been its method of supply and cost.

Nitrogen molecules have a more difficult time escaping through the microscopic spaces that exist between a tire's rubber molecules. Nitrogen is a "slow" inactive gas labeled as an inert gas due to its nonreactive nature with many materials. Oxygen on the other hand is a "fast" active gas that reacts with many materials called "oxidation." Additionally nitrogen is a dry gas that doesn't support moisture while oxygen combined with hydrogen makes water (H2O).

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                            Anyone ever try filling a bag with pure Nitrogen? Wonder what that might be like? Any takers?

Pure nitrogen has been used to inflate critical tire applications for years, primarily because it doesn't support moisture or combustion. These include racing tires (IndyCar, Formula 1, NASCAR), aircraft tires (commercial and military) and heavy-duty equipment tires (earthmovers and mining equipment). The challenge facing nitrogen inflation hasn't been its application, it's been its method of supply and cost.

Nitrogen molecules have a more difficult time escaping through the microscopic spaces that exist between a tire's rubber molecules. Nitrogen is a "slow" inactive gas labeled as an inert gas due to its nonreactive nature with many materials. Oxygen on the other hand is a "fast" active gas that reacts with many materials called "oxidation." Additionally nitrogen is a dry gas that doesn't support moisture while oxygen combined with hydrogen makes water (H2O).
                            the Honda Dealership often uses a nitrogen mix in the car tires. Sounds like it would work in a speed bag.
                            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

I was thinking about nitrogen for speed bags recently. I remember when nitrogen was promoted in the Chicago area for car tires back in the 60's, 70s, featured as a selling point, a we're better than the other guy kind of thing. Looks like it's still available for discerning car owners like yourself.

I knew someone who worked for the telephone company that had a nitrogen cylinder from work at home in his garage which he used for filling his car tires. Telephone cables are pressurized, you might sometime see a cylinder strapped to a telephone pole at the base, not sure what current practice is, but that's a nitrogen tank used to chase out moisture.

I'd like to try hydrogen in a speed bag, haha, hope for some static electricity, make the last punch really mean something. Acme brand hydrogen is best, beep! beep!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...