• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Another Ringside Heritage 5x8

I received my Ringside Heritage 5x8 today. The sizes on these bags must be all over the place. It's actual measurement is 7.25 X 4.75. Very small bag for me. But it does have the same nice leather and rebound as my 9x6. I just wish it was true to size. Too late to send it back, I've already used it and oiled it up. The strap on this one was so thick that I could barely get it off the hook. In fact the inside seam was hanging it up and I actually had to take a small pair of scissors and snip it on the inside to get it off. I was kinda cool to my 9x6 at first until I used it a while and now I really like it, so maybe I'll warm up to this one too after I use it some.
    If anyone wants a Ringside product this month and get a 15% discount, the code I was just given is CALFEB

fedora
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
    I received my Ringside Heritage 5x8 today. The sizes on these bags must be all over the place. It's actual measurement is 7.25 X 4.75. Very small bag for me. But it does have the same nice leather and rebound as my 9x6. I just wish it was true to size. Too late to send it back, I've already used it and oiled it up. The strap on this one was so thick that I could barely get it off the hook. In fact the inside seam was hanging it up and I actually had to take a small pair of scissors and snip it on the inside to get it off. I was kinda cool to my 9x6 at first until I used it a while and now I really like it, so maybe I'll warm up to this one too after I use it some.
    If anyone wants a Ringside product this month and get a 15% discount, the code I was just given is CALFEB

fedora
    I have the same issue with the 5". The inseam of the loop gets caught on the end of the S-hook when taking it off. Happened like the first day I had it. I thought I ripped the inside being a little rough taking it off, but now that I see the same thing happen to you, maybe it wasnt stitched up underneath/inside the loop in production.

Additionally, I actually have two 5" Heritages. One I use, the other I have in the closet for back-up(ordered 1 1/2 months apart, one on Dec and the other late Jan), and I just took it out to compare measurments in response to your post. When I first measured the 5" in previous Heritage post, I only eyeballed it with a tape measure(reporting 7.5 x 5). Now I actually took out a level and measued them both. They both are 7.75 inch in height(from bottom to top of bag, not the loop). The one in use, measured 5" wide, but can easily be 4.75 wide if air is let out. The other one I didn't add air too(back up one) I only measued its height and didnt add air to measure width, as I want to keep it in its original condition until ready to use.

Im curious if you try using a level on top of the bag, and then measure, if there would still be a difference. 1/2 inch is a lot!!
    -Anthony

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

My 9x6 had the same issue with the loop. If you look inside the loop the leather is just folded over and glued. It is so thick that when you try to take it off, the end of the hook catches the edge of the fold and it peels back hanging up on the hook. I had to make a cut on the inside of the other one too.

I measured with a level and the measurements are what I previously stated. Ironic that you have one a bit too big and I have one a bit too small. I'll work with it a while and see how I feel about it after a week or so. I know some guys here really like them that small maybe someone will want to trade if it turns out I want to get rid of it. It really does rebound well, I can't complain about that at all.

fedora

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
        • Apr 2011

My 9x6 had the same issue with the loop. If you look inside the loop the leather is just folded over and glued. It is so thick that when you try to take it off, the end of the hook catches the edge of the fold and it peels back hanging up on the hook. I had to make a cut on the inside of the other one too.

I measured with a level and the measurements are what I previously stated. Ironic that you have one a bit too big and I have one a bit too small. I'll work with it a while and see how I feel about it after a week or so. I know some guys here really like them that small maybe someone will want to trade if it turns out I want to get rid of it. It really does rebound well, I can't complain about that at all.

fedora
        Let me know if you want to do a trade..
        -Anthony

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
          Let me know if you want to do a trade..
          Do you mean mine for one of your 8x5s, which are a little larger or another bag you have?

fedora

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
            • Apr 2011

Do you mean mine for one of your 8x5s, which are a little larger or another bag you have?

fedora
            Oh no, I meant for something else.. Maybe a XS Ringside Ultra Rebound speed bag purchased Jan 7 of this year, along with a $30-$40 swivel? Or maybe just a new Cleto Reyes swivel. (the cleto sells for $89).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM.
            -Anthony

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

Oh okay. Well let me play with it a week or so and I'll see how I like it by then.

fedora

Comment

• cmedinas88
                • Jan 2013

I just got the same ringside and having the same issues with the loop. That is what I like about this site I thought I received a defected bag. It's only the third bag that I have purchased and fairly New to the bag.

Comment

• cmedinas88
                  • Jan 2013

It's actually the ultra rebound and it seems heavy or is it just me?

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                    i had the same problem when i first got my cleto reyes bag, putting it on a powermill S-hook. what i did was put some fiebing's mink oil paste on the loop and didn't wipe it off, did that every time i used the bag and over time i didn't need to put the paste on it. worked out without ever having to cut or squeez the loop...ralph
                    Personally, I cut all the leather off of all three of my stiff stubborn Cletos loops, to reveal the more manageable nylon strap/loop. I tried twisting, tying and everything else, except mink oil. You've, mentioned using this before, I am going to pick up a bottle of this mink oil for future use. It must be great stuff to be able to soften up a Cleto loop. I would of preferred not cutting the loops but felt i had no other options at the time. The loops were so thick stiff and hard that even when I managed to get thm on the swivel, it seemed like the inflexibility of the loops, were effecting its performance.
                    -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                      • Apr 2011

Oh okay. Well let me play with it a week or so and I'll see how I like it by then.

fedora
                      Ok sounds good.
                      -Anthony

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cmedinas88 View Post
                        I just got the same ringside and having the same issues with the loop. That is what I like about this site I thought I received a defected bag. It's only the third bag that I have purchased and fairly New to the bag.
                        If you get a Deville swivel, it won't be an issue. The Deville takes the Heritage bag without a problem. The opening on the hook is a little wider so it doesn't hang up when you take it off or put it on.

fedora

Comment

• fedora
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2012

Well I haven't had this bag for week yet, but after working on it a while I can see that it is really beneficial to have a small super fast bag like this. I would classify myself as just starting to pull out of the beginners stage and get to a lower intermediate level of skill. So this bag was really hard for me to work at first. But sticking with it a while has helped me improve overall. After a lot of work I could actually do some triple outside elbows on it. Easy enough for you advanced folks but no small feat for this old guy. It has such a small sweet spot and with a fast rebound you have to really be precise. When I put a larger bag on after working this one a while I found I had less miss hits.

So bottom line is, even though the sizing on this bag is a bit smaller than I initially liked or wanted, it is a keeper.

Also I might add that, if you don't have a Deville swivel and you want a Ringside Heritage, you may want to consider getting one. These bags have such thick straps that putting them on and taking them off is so much easier on a Deville.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...