• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Old swivel purchase

I just bought this swivel, don't know much about it. But I like old stuff and this one looked kinda old. I'll have to clean it up some, but I'll post more pictures when it comes. This is the only pic I have of it right now. It was originally listed with a bag, but I didn't want the bag so made an offer on just the swivel and it was accepted.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Great item, we haven't seen them all yet. Is the ball solid?

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      Great item, we haven't seen them all yet. Is the ball solid?
      To be honest I forgot to ask and I should have. But it's mine now. The eye and hook look pretty beefy though, so don't know if that's an indicator or not. But as a general rule the old stuff was usually pretty solid. Not always but most of the time at all the antiques shows I've been to over the years that's been the case on most things.

fedora
      Last edited by fedora; 02-23-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
        To be honest I forgot to ask and I should have. But it's mine now. The eye and hook look pretty beefy though, so don't know if that's an indicator or not. But as a general rule the old stuff was usually pretty solid. Not always but most of the time at all the antiques shows I've been to over the years that's been the case on most things.

fedora
        I have the same swivel. The ball likely isn't solid. I think this was designed originally as a rope swivel and a eye hook added afterwards.
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Anyone have an idea on it's age??

fedora

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

This type is a refinement of the original Nichols patent swivel, with the rope having been supplanted by the two piece link and hook (appears to be original) so I'd say it's possible that it dates as far back as the late 1920's, but more than likely the 1930 to WWII era.

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              This type is a refinement of the original Nichols patent swivel, with the rope having been supplanted by the two piece link and hook (appears to be original) so I'd say it's possible that it dates as far back as the late 1920's, but more than likely the 1930 to WWII era.
              Thank you, that's good to know.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                It never fails to amaze me, the depth of history and equipment knowledge that you, paranday and few others have.

Many TV talk shows have a bit called "stump the band" about music and songs...., but I have never seen anyone "stump the bag" historians.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  It never fails to amaze me, the depth of history and equipment knowledge that you, paranday and few others have.

Many TV talk shows have a bit called "stump the band" about music and songs...., but I have never seen anyone "stump the bag" historians.

This is definitely the place to come to find out about bagging history that's for sure. I'm looking forward to getting this swivel. I can tell by looking at the thickness of the base that's it's heavy duty. It will be interesting to put a bag on it and see how it works.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                    This is definitely the place to come to find out about bagging history that's for sure. I'm looking forward to getting this swivel. I can tell by looking at the thickness of the base that's it's heavy duty. It will be interesting to put a bag on it and see how it works.
                    fedora
                    Yep. If that swivel could talk I'd sure pull up a chair and listen. Bet it hits just fine.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Got this vintage swivel in the mail today and it is totally cool. I didn't realize it's a 3 piece unit. It doesn't have a full ball but it is still pretty heavy duty. As you can see from the one picture it says "Moosehead-Whitely Exerciser Co New York". I'm going to hang it up after a while and see how it handles a bag. In doing a quick google search I found one just like it that shows it was originally set up with a rope. So bagman you were correct. http://www.sportandspoolantiques.com...R1.html#imageC

fedora
                      Last edited by fedora; 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Bag Man
                        • Jan 2011

"So bagman you were correct."

Is there another category of which I am unaware? I thought not.

I have the same swivel sans the two pieces. Apparently they came in a variety of styles. I also have an old Ben Lee that is designed like yours. I seem to recall seeing in an ad from the 1950s that Ben Lee sold a "conversion kit," which was essetially the eye bolt and hook that screwed into the ball. When I first got the Moosehead I figured the eyebolt and hook were added as an afterthough. Given the Ben Lee ad, maybe Moosehead also sold a kit and the whole rig is original.

Regards,

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• fedora
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2012

The eye and bent hook are really heavy duty and look professionally made. So maybe it was offered commercially. I hung it up and hit on it for over an hour. It worked really well, but man was it loud. When I did alternating triple outside elbows it would sound like a freight train was coming through. That large of a bell shaped base with the eye banging on it really clanged. It was kinda neat, but I didn't think I could put up with it continually. I was expecting that since the eye struck the edge of the base it might through the bag off but it didn't.

And I just had to try it with the rope. So I took it apart and put the rope back in it. The problem with that was, no matter how hard I cinched up the knots, after punching on it a bit they would tighten up more and then the distance to the board would increase making it slower rebounding. But it handled really well and was obviously much quieter.

A really cool piece of bagging history.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Very nice!
                            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag Man
                              • Jan 2011

Fedora,

My hat is off to you. (No pun intended.) I use mine for display only.

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...