Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Red White and Blue Everlast bag 4227

What vintage?

Attached Files
  • Bag Man
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    To hazard a guess: 1976. Although quite unscientific, looks like the type of patriotic color scheme that was very common around the Bicentennial. Or at least that is what I've read in the history books.
    "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I'd tend to agree, tho the logotype is more like what was used during the 1950's-1960's, but they could have gone retro for the Bicentennial. Frankly, this is the first one of these that I can recall seeing. It's possible it was a limited production item. I used to haunt the two big sporting goods retailers in San Diego in those days (along with a couple of other smaller shops). Stanley Andrews carried the complete Everlast line, while Sportland in LaMesa besides Everlast also carried TufWear. The latter was a gold mine waiting to be searched. They had been in one locations for decades, and it was the kind of place that if you were looking for something specific, you had to ask otherwise you would be lost in there for days. It was a sad day when they lost their lease and had to move to a new location a few blocks away. If I had known when they were going to start moving I would have planted my self out back, ready to start dumpster diving. I wasn't in town when that happened, and I heard that they threw out literally a ton of old paper. Catalogs back at least to the end of WWII, maybe earlier.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Looks more like a "speed bag bat" than a bag. That long sloping neck always seemed to make this style more of a power bag, for hard power punching more than speed work. Better have a big board whatever you do with it.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

It looks like a 4208, which is about the same length as a 4207 but with less of a belly. The former are sluggish, don't like them as much as the latter which is no speed demon either but the bigger belly makes you work more.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            It looks like a 4208, which is about the same length as a 4207 but with less of a belly. The former are sluggish, don't like them as much as the latter which is no speed demon either but the bigger belly makes you work more.
            What's your opinion of the mighty Everlast 4205 ?

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

I've got two of them, one from the 1950's the other from the 1980's. I love them both. While the belly is considerably larger than the 4207's (I've got two of those as well) they are faster and more responsive than the 4207. Both the 4205's are currently fitted with the Everlast plastic bladders, which have given me no problems (knock wood). I don't know what I could use to replace them in the event of a failure, as they have been discontinued for some time now (perhaps the bladder for Title's "Big Blue"?). The 1950's bag is slightly longer than the one from the '80's and is made from a much better grade of leather.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Both of mine are from the 1980s, best large bag I've ever hit, would buy another in a heartbeat. A blast to hit. I'll let you know how bladder surgery goes, both have the plastic, and one needs replacing.

Comment

• Bag Man
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  ". . . but the bigger belly makes you work more."

Finally something with which I have some personal experience.
                  "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Both of mine are from the 1980s, best large bag I've ever hit, would buy another in a heartbeat. A blast to hit. I'll let you know how bladder surgery goes, both have the plastic, and one needs replacing.
                    All the Everlast bags of those times had those red plastic bladders if I remember correctly.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      All the Everlast bags of those times had those red plastic bladders if I remember correctly.
                      When those red plastic bladders worked they were OK. My early 1990s era 4213 "military bag" still has the original bladder, still holds air like crazy. But Everlast at that time already had lousy quality control (bladder control problems ). Often the heat sealed area was done poorly, right at the edge of the bladder, and you could see after the fact that it would have failed in no time and it did. If I recall they gave the bladder material some fancy name, all this while the company was slowly sinking below the water line, drowning the great reputation they once had, gasping for air like the faulty speed bag bladders they were churning out.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

When those red plastic bladders worked they were OK. My early 1990s era 4213 "military bag" still has the original bladder, still holds air like crazy. But Everlast at that time already had lousy quality control (bladder control problems ). Often the heat sealed area was done poorly, right at the edge of the bladder, and you could see after the fact that it would have failed in no time and it did. If I recall they gave the bladder material some fancy name, all this while the company was slowly sinking below the water line, drowning the great reputation they once had, gasping for air like the faulty speed bag bladders they were churning out.
                        I remember trying to patch those heat sealed areas by trying to put a rubber tire patch over the seam, gluing on both sides. Never really worked well. when the seam was leaking air, it was time to change bladders.

This was one of my 4200 babies. Made it from Memphis tenn, to columbus ga, to waco texas before it died of a seam leak.

Attached Files
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          My NOS 1984 Everlast 4205 arrived into my life with a leaky bladder, sad situation indeed.

You've been silent on this topic, have you ever hit a 4205? Dutchman and I are sold, think they're great.

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                            ...humm, do you have a pic of the 4205. just trying to remember if i've ever hit on one...ralph
                            Here she is, next to a Title Atomic XXS.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...