• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Some vintage equipment

Gotta pull out and open up a few items I bought over a year ago. The Victor has 1902 stamped on it but it was from a later date. It weights about 40 pounds!.

The rebound ring was from the 1940's. It came with the giant Wilson H1274 bag, which was clearly to long for this ring. It must have been used a lot with it for the bag has a black bruise mark all around from use on the ring.
    Attached Files
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Any chance you'll be hitting that Victor? I understand someone is making a movie about the speed bag...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      Any chance you'll be hitting that Victor? I understand someone is making a movie about the speed bag...
      I heard that too, but his house (and mine) are pretty much full of speed bag wall units and there is no place to hang it. And it's a beast, over 40 pounds in itself with no attachments other than the center post holes requiring some heavy duty lag bolts or screws.

If we could find someone with the space, time and wherewithall to do it, I'm open to suggestion. I am curious to see how it actually worked. Have to have a decent video capability to shoot footage decent enough for the video, per ZaZa's requirements, like 1080 HD.

If not, I'm thinking of sending it to Real Gymm to show the gathering this July.

below are the pics of advertising when I bought them.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Speedbag; 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM.
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

The Victor is an interesting piece. From what I've been able to discern, the bag was attached to the frame with a taught rubber cord. This kept the top of the bag up against the wooden cup. When you hit the bag the cord stretches, then retracts bringingthe bag back towards you then back towards center. So it's not rebounding off of anything, just reacting to the force of being hit. Yes it would be interesting to see it being used, and if it indeed was "noiseless".

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          The Victor is an interesting piece. From what I've been able to discern, the bag was attached to the frame with a taught rubber cord. This kept the top of the bag up against the wooden cup. When you hit the bag the cord stretches, then retracts bringingthe bag back towards you then back towards center. So it's not rebounding off of anything, just reacting to the force of being hit. Yes it would be interesting to see it being used, and if it indeed was "noiseless".
          The very light hook I'm holding in my hand is attached to a springy cord, loosely tied into hook attached to the iron. It is a bit stretchy. I did not put any real strain on it, but it is tied pretty loosely at the top. My impression was a few hard punches would slip the single knot holding it to the top "S" hook in the iron. And the small "S" hook in my hand would certain not fit a modern day thick bag loop.

It looks like tension would be applied to the chord as it stretches over the wooden donut before the bag hits the top iron circular plate. That tension over the wooden donut will probably add as much tension to the rebound as the inflated bag hitting the hollow iron top.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 04-02-2013, 02:58 AM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

That Victor is scary looking...but, worse case, it looks like it would make a great hanging plant holder!

I'd love to see that in action (from a distance), can't imagine what it's like to hit on. Looks like you have to mount it to your individual height too.

Very nice piece of history. You sure don't see these around too much.
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              That Victor is scary looking...but, worse case, it looks like it would make a great hanging plant holder!

I'd love to see that in action (from a distance), can't imagine what it's like to hit on. Looks like you have to mount it to your individual height too.

Very nice piece of history. You sure don't see these around too much.
              Yes, it has no adjustment method.

Plant holder. ? Probably right but an embarrassing way to end your life as a speed bag rack. I can just hear all the other speed bag racks laughing at him down at the club.

hi guys..... how's it hanging
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Dutchman, Paranday or Whomever can help

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                I heard that too, but his house (and mine) are pretty much full of speed bag wall units and there is no place to hang it. And it's a beast, over 40 pounds in itself with no attachments other than the center post holes requiring some heavy duty lag bolts or screws.

If we could find someone with the space, time and wherewithall to do it, I'm open to suggestion. I am curious to see how it actually worked. Have to have a decent video capability to shoot footage decent enough for the video, per ZaZa's requirements, like 1080 HD.

If not, I'm thinking of sending it to Real Gymm to show the gathering this July.

below are the pics of advertising when I bought them.

Does anyone know of any original photos of the Victor? Specifically, of the cord and how it attached.
                Alan, I was totally impressed when you gave the Victor to Donny. I can't wait to see that hung up with a bag attached.
                The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
                  Does anyone know of any original photos of the Victor? Specifically, of the cord and how it attached.
                  Alan, I was totally impressed when you gave the Victor to Donny. I can't wait to see that hung up with a bag attached.
                  Thanks. It deserves to be seen and appreciated in a proper location, not sitting in a box in my storage building. Donnie is a man who appreciates the history of things and has earned the right to have those pieces hang in honor in his new place. His IS a part of speed bag history as he has done as much to get us all together as anybody. Tim would be first in my book, but Donnie is an important part of modern speed bag history.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...